Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FTP connection problem
Special Forums IP Networking FTP connection problem Post 27093 by cassy on Tuesday 27th of August 2002 05:32:59 PM
Old 08-27-2002
The subnet range was in the host.allow, typed in the ip address of the client that was failing. Still no response, it connects to the port 21 and receives a message that "host lost connection". There is no deny.allow file.

When looking at DHCP, if I grab an i.p. address out of the range of ip address that has not been assigned by DHCP and hard code it into my workstation I can connect with no problem. But if I set DHCP up to send the i.p. by reserving the mac address it fails. Is there some type configuration in Unix that can distiquish if an I.P. address was sent via DHCP. As you can tell I am not a Unix expert just a beginner. But I appreciate all the response you are giving.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP connection problem on new server

Solaris Server (V880) version 8 Brand new box just installed O/S, what do I need to do in order to get FTP working. I have updated the /etc/hosts.equiv file Problem - When trying to ftp to the server I get a login incorrect message, this is with the root user. Are there some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miredale
1 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

FTP Connection

I just started a new job and inherited a Fedora core 3 server. I wanted to open the ftp ports and I wanted to verify this code before I mess things up. From my reading the two lines below should allow ftp access can anyone confirm my attempt. iptables -A INPUT -p tcp - sport 21 -m state - state... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mungaz
0 Replies

3. Solaris

ftp connection problem

Hi all, i am not able to connect the ftp through userA. Can you please tell me what are the possible ways to troubleshoot this issue? Regards krishna (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna176
2 Replies

4. SCO

ftp connection

I have problem with ftp connection on SCO UNIX 5.0.7, it is work slowly. How I can make accelerate. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: draganmi
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP Connection

Hi, Anyone encounter whereby when you FTP from an Unix server (Solaris 8) to another server (Window Server 2003), you tend to wait a long while when you do a "ls" and you get a timeout after that. However, when you FTP again and do a "ls", the result of "ls" shown immediately. All connection are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahlude
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP connection problem

I am getting the error in this command when i am pitting it in shell script ftp -nvi jcmpcor1.abc.com >/work/test98.dat << EOD error:- invalid command. but when i am writting it from outside it work fine. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi214u
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vxWorks connection to solaris 9.0 rsh vs ftp problem

Can anyone point me in the right direction.. I have a test system which requires vxWorks to be loaded via TCPIP I am using a Sun ultra10 box with Sol 9.0 installed as the server I have configured the server and am able to load the boot image without any problems. I assume it is using the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shortsrkt
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

ftp first connection closed

Hi, Have anyone seen this problem, there is one remote side where their ftp connection to our server will always fail with connection closed by remote host and the second connection will be working. is this an OS issue or network issue? Thanks Robert (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertngo
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 ftp connection problem (connection refused, connection timed out)

Hi everyone, I am hoping anyone of you could help me in this weird problem we have in 1 of our Solaris 10 servers. Lately, we have been having some ftp problems in this server. Though it can ping any server within the network, it seems that it can only ftp to a select few. For most servers, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: labdakos
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP connection refused

Hi I am trying to execute a shell script which is in unix server gs1. The script is below which basically connects to another unix server q15 and tries to get a file using FTP . But i get error as "ftp: connect: Connection refused Not connected. Not connected." Please help with if the below... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: samrat dutta
8 Replies
DHCPING(8)						      General Commands Manual							DHCPING(8)

NAME
dhcping - send a DHCP request to DHCP server to see if it's up and running SYNOPSIS
dhcping [-v] [-q] [-i] [-r] -t maxwait -c client-IP-address -s server-IP-address -h client-hardware-address [-g gateway-IP-address] DESCRIPTION
This command allows the system administrator to check if a remote DHCP server is still functioning. Options are: -v Verbose, print some information. -i Use DHCPINFORM packets. -r Use DHCPREQUEST packets (default behaviour). -q Quiet, print nothing on the screen. -t maxwait Maximum time to wait for an answer from the server in seconds. Default is 3 seconds. -c client-IP-address Request this IP address. Note that this is also the IP address the answer will be sent to. -s server-IP-address Send the DHCP packet to this IP address. -h client-hardware-address Use this hardware-address in the DHCP request. It can be up to sixteen octets seperated by colons (i.e. 01:02:03:04) -g gateway-IP-address Use this IP address for the gateway IP address in the DHCP packet. This option is currently broken. RETURN VALUES
If everything goes okay, it returns 0. If there went something wrong, it returns 1. SETUP
This program should be installed setuid root or ran by root only. See SECURITY for more information. On your DHCP server, add these lines to the dhcpd.conf: host <your monitoring host FQDN> { hardware ethernet <your monitor host mac address>; fixed-address <your monitoring host IP address>; } Then try it: $ dhcping -c your monitoring host IP address -s your DHCP server IP address -h your monitor host mac address It will either respond with "no answer" or "Got answer from: your DHCP server IP address" The DHCP server logfile will give: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.1 from 00:20:18:56:29:8f via ed0 DHCPACK on 192.168.1.1 to 00:20:18:56:29:8f via ed0 DHCPRELEASE of 192.168.1.1 from 00:20:18:56:29:8f via ed0 (found) Running in DHCPINFORM mode with -i: If you see "DHCPINFORM from 192.168.1.1 via xl0: not authoritative for subnet 192.168.1.0", you should add the authoritative statement to the subnet, See dhcpd.conf(5) for details. When running in very verbose mode, dhcping tries to dump all data of the send and received DHCP packets. It will first dump the packet in hex-format, then decodes the header and finally the options. HOW IT WORKS
The client either sends a DHCPREQUEST or DHCPINFORM packet to the server and waits for an answer. Then, if a DHCPREQUEST was send, it will send a DHCPRELEASE back to the server. SECURITY
This program is installed setuid root as it requires the privileges to bind itself to port 68 (bootpc). Root privileges are dropped as soon as the program has bound itself to that port. BUGS
Currently (this may, or may not, change in the future) the ISC DHCP daemon does not write leases with a fixed IP address in the dhcpd.leases file. DHCPINFORM packets can only be used on subnets the server is authori- tative for. If the monitoring script runs on a subnet the server isn't authoritative for, it should use the DHCPREQUEST packets. I also experienced some problems with ISC DHCPD v2 servers, but that is also in the README of it. The -V option is still working, but shouldn't be used for debugging of the packets. Better use dhcpdump(8) for that, which is available on my website. I wanted to remove it, but decided only to do it from the documentation, not from the code. Maybe I'll need it one day for debugging. AUTHOR
Edwin Groothuis, edwin@mavetju.org (http://www.mavetju.org) SEE ALSO
dhcpd(8), dhclient(8), dhcpd.conf(5), dhcpdump(8) Januari 27, 2002 Januari 27, 2002 DHCPING(8)