Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory problems with tar multivolume Post 27085 by RTM on Tuesday 27th of August 2002 04:48:46 PM
Old 08-27-2002
The permission denied is possibly from the user not in the same group or owner of the tape drive. On our SUN server the tape drive is owned by root - group sys. Adding a user to the sys group allows backups to work (using tar or ufsdump). You may have the same type of situation. Check the permissions on the tape drive. Add the user to a group such as sys (of course, you must understand this is a security risk).

We set up a generic account that was allowed rsh from all servers to the backup server. This allowed us to move the data (for Y2K). It hasn't been used since. Part of the script was to move a new host.equiv file on the backup server into place. This allowed the generic account access. When the backups were completed, it was moved out of the way, closing the hole.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar backup problems

Im trying to use tar to backup the os directories. I have a file called bdirs which contains a list of the directories that im trying to backup: /bin /dev /devices /etc /export /home /kernel /lib /local /mnt /opt /platform /proc /sbin start /usr /var /vol (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar problems using Sony AIT drive

Recently we brought up a Spectralogic 2K Tape Library that had been out of service for about 3 years to replace a DDS-4 tape drive unit as our main backup device. Everything seemed to go fine but now I have run into a little problem. System details: FBSD 6.1 SpectraLogic 2K library with a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with GNU tar installation

Hi all, Need some help here. I've been trying to install GNU tar version 1.12 into my Solaris 9 machine. steps that I have done was: -untar the package file -run "./configure" -run "make" command (got stuck at this point) Got the following error messages after hitting the make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suffer0
2 Replies

4. AIX

Problems with tar command

Hello Somebody can help me, I try to extract a file by tar command but I get this error message root@mxlgjac/home/bistrain# tar -xvf C57U6ML.tar tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 804399312 not equal to 62020. The file in tar format its on the same directory, where I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LTO multivolume restoration problem in SELS9

Can anybody help me ? ? Previously data was taken multi volume LTO Tape backup in Red hat Linux by following command : tar -cvf /dev/rmt/tps6d7v -b 1000 -M filenames , now i try to Restore it in SELS9 by following command : tar -xvf /dev/st1 -b 1000 -M filenames , it extracts only part of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pramanik
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problems with tar between local and nfs disk

Hi, I am trying to move a local directory from a local disk to a nfs disk that has been shared on another file server. I am using this tar command: tar cf - . | (cd /export/nfsdisk && tar xpf - ) It copies the data okay but the big problem is that is resets the owner:group to 'nobody'. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlowry
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Speed problems with tar'ing a 500Gb directory on an eSATA drive

I'm trying to compress a directory structure on an external hard drive, connected by eSATA cable to my linux (Ubuntu 10.04) desktop. The total volume is 500Gb with half a million files, ranging from Kb to Mb in size. The drive is 2Tb, with 0.8Tb free space before compression. running "tar -pcf... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: omnisppot
10 Replies
Linux::Distribution(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Linux::Distribution(3pm)

NAME
Linux::Distribution - Perl extension to detect on which Linux distribution we are running. SYNOPSIS
use Linux::Distribution qw(distribution_name distribution_version); if(my $distro = distribution_name) { my $version = distribution_version(); print "you are running $distro, version $version "; } else { print "distribution unknown "; } Or else do it OO: use Linux::Distribution qw(distribution_name distribution_version); my $linux = Linux::Distribution->new; if(my $distro = $linux->distribution_name()) { my $version = $linux->distribution_version(); print "you are running $distro, version $version "; } else { print "distribution unknown "; } DESCRIPTION
This is a simple module that tries to guess on what linux distribution we are running by looking for release's files in /etc. It now looks for 'lsb-release' first as that should be the most correct and adds ubuntu support. Secondly, it will look for the distro specific files. It currently recognizes slackware, debian, suse, fedora, redhat, turbolinux, yellowdog, knoppix, mandrake, conectiva, immunix, tinysofa, va-linux, trustix, adamantix, yoper, arch-linux, libranet, gentoo, ubuntu, scientific, oracle enterprise linux and redflag. It has function to get the version for debian, suse, fedora, redhat, gentoo, slackware, scientific, oracle enterprise linux, redflag and ubuntu(lsb). People running unsupported distro's are greatly encouraged to submit patches :-) EXPORT None by default. TODO
Add the capability of recognize the version of the distribution for all recognized distributions. AUTHORS
Alexandr Ciornii <alexchorny@gmail.com>, <http://chorny.net> Alberto Re, <alberto@accidia.net> Judith Lebzelter, <judith@osdl.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.5 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.14.2 2012-03-18 Linux::Distribution(3pm)