Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Encryption and Decryption in UNIX. Post 27081 by abidmalik on Tuesday 27th of August 2002 04:09:52 PM
Old 08-27-2002
Hammer & Screwdriver

Hello there !

First of let me Thank "Kelam_magnus" and "Perderabo" for solving my problem and helping to understand that encryption issue.

I got it very well. You both are right. i tried both ways and it did work fine.

this is what i did.

----------------- for encryption of "first" to "second"------------

$> crypt <first> second
$> enter Key: test
$>
----------------- for decryption----------------------------
$> crypt < second
$> enter Key: test

and it shows me the content of file.

then i tried in vi.. Kelam_magnus is right about -x option of vi. it uses for cryption and decryption.

vi -x second
enter key: test

and here is contents of file.

one thing i notice that the encryption file donot have to be end with .x or anything. i am not positive but it worked fine without it.

Thanks again and see you in my next question.

Abid Malik

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Password encryption/decryption in flat-text files

Dear all, If anyone has some ideas for me how to tackle the following situation: Imagine a type of client-server application. The client application is started by a human operator with all the necessary LDAP/Kerberos in place. The server application is started automatically as a daemon process.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: domivv
2 Replies

2. Solaris

PGP encryption/decryption solaris 9

Hi Someone is going to send me a file that they have encrypted by PGP encryption on windows pc to my solaris 9 server. They will give me the pgp key to decrypt the file. How can I do this on solaris 9 Is there a tool installed by default to decrypt or do I need to install something to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
0 Replies

3. AIX

unix file encryption

Is there a way to encrypt a flat file or a database file so it can be ftp or sftp to a remote windows system? this is for solaris/AIX etc. or is there a 3 party sw that can be used? i know in AIX6 this can be done but we are on AIX 5.3.x and 5.2.x (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: admaix
6 Replies

4. Solaris

encryption & decryption functions in sun solaries

hi, is there any library functions available in sun solaries for encryption and decryption functions. regards suresh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh_rtp
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Identify a file for encryption or decryption

Dear Members, Can we find if a particular file is encrypted or decrypted. I need a command by which i should be able to identify if a file is encrypted or decrypted. How can we do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

decryption of .cpt file in unix

can some one help me how to decrypt a .txt.cpt file in unix i Double post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lily
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String encryption and decryption

Hello All, There are so many questions on this and I didn't find any concluded answer. I want to encrypt a string in the script, actually this is a password. I tried using openssl (I am a newbie to openssl), but it is generating a long one which we can't remember. I want to encrypt the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
5 Replies

8. Ubuntu

help regarding encryption and decryption of files on linux

we are to develope a project on linux whose aim is to automatically encrypt files after logoff and to decrypt them using password after log in this is to be made by chging source code of linux ........... can any one help me on this???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vyom
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

auto encryption and decryption of files during log in and log off

we r to develope a project which involves automatic encryption of all the text files user was working upon during logg off and to decrypt them during log on this is to be done by writing a shell script can anyone help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vyom
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gpg (GnuPG) encryption and decryption

Hi Friends, There are some 7 years script in out linux server. I am trying to understand them since Linux Server changed(A). Below line in one of the encrypting script. Here scenario is encrypting bank files in our (A) server and doing Secure Copy to Server (B). GPG -v --batch --yes --armor... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnsnow
1 Replies
FS_SETCRYPT(1)						       AFS Command Reference						    FS_SETCRYPT(1)

NAME
       fs_setcrypt - Enables of disables the encryption of AFS file transfers

SYNOPSIS
       fs setcrypt [-crypt] <on/off> [-help]

DESCRIPTION
       The fs setcrypt command sets the status of network traffic encryption for file traffic in the AFS client. This encryption applies to file
       traffic going to and coming from the AFS File Server for users with valid tokens.  This command does not control the encryption used for
       authentication, which uses Kerberos 5 or klog/kaserver. The complement of this command is fs getcrypt, which shows the status of encryption
       on the client.

The default encryption status is enabled.

This is a global setting and applies to all subsequent connections to an AFS File Server from this Cache Manager. There is no way to enable
       or disable encryption for specific connections.

CAUTIONS
       AFS uses an encryption scheme called fcrypt, based on but slightly weaker than DES, and there is currently no way to specify a different
       encryption mechanism. Because fcrypt and DES are obsolete, the user must decide how much to trust the encryption. Consider using a Virtual
       Private Network at the IP level if better encryption is needed.

Encrypting file traffic requires a token. Unauthenticated connections or connections authorized via IP-based ACLs will not be encrypted
       even when encryption is turned on.

OPTIONS
       -crypt <on/off>
	   This is the only option to fs setcrypt. The -crypt option takes either "on" or "off". "on" enables encryption. "off" disables
	   encryption. Since this is the only option, the "-crypt" flag may be omitted.

0 and 1 or "true" and "false" are not supported as replacements for "on" and "off".

-help
	   Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored.

OUTPUT
       This command produces no output other than error messages.

EXAMPLES
       There are only four ways to invoke fs setcrypt.	Either of:

% fs setcrypt -crypt on
	  % fs setcrypt on

will enable encryption for authenticated connections and:

% fs setcrypt -crypt off
	  % fs setcrypt off

will disable encryption.

PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
       The issuer must be logged in as the local superuser root.

SEE ALSO
       fs_getcrypt(1)

The description of the fcrypt encryption mechanism at http://surfvi.com/~ota/fcrypt-paper.txt <http://surfvi.com/~ota/fcrypt-paper.txt>.

COPYRIGHT
       Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com>

This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for
       OpenAFS.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26							    FS_SETCRYPT(1)