Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Can't su to root
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can't su to root Post 26986 by LivinFree on Monday 26th of August 2002 07:07:57 PM
Old 08-26-2002
Also, what OS and version are you using (can find this with the command uname -a). Some Unix variants will only allow specific user IDs to use "su" - you should probably talk to your administrator about this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Terminal 'Local Echo' lost on Modem Dial-out

Can anybody help me? I am developing a utility for automating message paging to a BT alphanumeric pager. I am using a USR 56K Fax-modem connected to /dev/cuab on a Sun Ultra-10. I am using the UNIX 'tip' utility to connect to the modem and I have configured the modem as follows: Baud Rate:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mybeat
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP ME HELP!!!! I can't Log in as root

I am running a Linux Red Hat 7.2 system and I can't log into the root account. When I tried to su to root from another user by using the command su - root, I get this error message: su: basename.c:67: base_name:Assertion `all-slashes || !((*(p - 1)) == '/ ' ) failed also, when I tried to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
10 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

HELP! The '/var/adm/message' file increase every few seconds???

Hi, guys, I have a big problem. I've got a sun solaris 4.1.4 workstation, and the /var/adm/message file will add one row every few seconds. It soon becomes a large file. I wander if there are some mistakes configuring the workstation. the /var/adm/message is as follow: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cloudsmell
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mistyped shell path, now i can't login as the only user that can su to root

i mistyped the location of bash and now i can't login as the only other user who belongs to wheel on my freebsd box. since i'm having many problems with samba, this has frozen my attempts to get things resolved with the former issue. i've been told that 'su -m' should do the trick, but it's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't log in other than root - display garbles

I'm hoping someone here can bail me out of this one. I have a box running SCO Openserver 5.0.2. I can log in as root fine, but if I try to log into any other account, I get: Last succenful login for xxxx "bunch of symbols" Standard copyright stuff and returns to a login... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: craig2k
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies
TALK(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TALK(1)

NAME
talk -- talk to another user SYNOPSIS
talk person [ttyname] DESCRIPTION
The talk utility is a visual communication program which copies lines from your terminal to that of another user. Options available: person If you wish to talk to someone on your own machine, then person is just the person's login name. If you wish to talk to a user on another host, then person is of the form 'user@host' or 'host!user' or 'host:user'. ttyname If you wish to talk to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name, where ttyname is of the form 'ttyXX'. When first called, talk sends the message Message from TalkDaemon@his_machine... talk: connection requested by your_name@your_machine. talk: respond with: talk your_name@your_machine to the user you wish to talk to. At this point, the recipient of the message should reply by typing talk your_name@your_machine It does not matter from which machine the recipient replies, as long as his login-name is the same. Once communication is established, the two parties may type simultaneously, with their output appearing in separate windows. Typing control-L '^L' will cause the screen to be reprinted. Typing control-D '^D' will clear both parts of your screen to be cleared, while the control-D character will be sent to the remote side (and just displayed by this talk client). Your erase, kill, and word kill characters will behave normally. To exit, just type your interrupt character; talk then moves the cursor to the bottom of the screen and restores the terminal to its previous state. Permission to talk may be denied or granted by use of the mesg(1) command. At the outset talking is allowed. FILES
/etc/hosts to find the recipient's machine /var/run/utx.active to find the recipient's tty SEE ALSO
mail(1), mesg(1), wall(1), who(1), write(1), talkd(8) HISTORY
The talk command appeared in 4.2BSD. In FreeBSD 5.3, the default behaviour of talk was changed to treat local-to-local talk requests as originating and terminating at localhost. Before this change, it was required that the hostname (as per gethostname(3)) resolved to a valid IPv4 address (via gethostbyname(3)), making talk unsuitable for use in configurations where talkd(8) was bound to the loopback interface (normally for security reasons). BUGS
The version of talk released with 4.3BSD uses a protocol that is incompatible with the protocol used in the version released with 4.2BSD. Multibyte characters are not recognized. BSD
January 21, 2010 BSD