Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory error making filesystem when install UNIX Post 26949 by Kelam_Magnus on Monday 26th of August 2002 01:42:38 PM
Old 08-26-2002
just a guess

This is just an educated guess, but I believe you are trying to use the entire 36GB.

I had a similar problem when extending a FS. I didn't remember that a portion of the disk is reserved.

Try reducing your total allocation of disk space from 36GB to 35.5GB or if 500MB is too much to give up, try 35.7GB or so. Some OSs require 3-10 % for disk overhead.

Reduce your overall size allocated for filesystems and I am willing to bet that will fix your problems.

Smilie Smilie

Last edited by Kelam_Magnus; 08-26-2002 at 02:49 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Oracle 9i install: Error in invoking target install of makefile

I receive an error while installing Oracle 9i: Error in invoking target install of makefile /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/sqlplus/lib/ins_sqlplus.mk Furthermore: $ whoami oracle $ echo $ORACLE_HOME /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0 $ pwd /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/sqlplus/lib $ ll total... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris2005
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Making filesystem on presented lun

Hi, I am working on SunOS perlrate 5.10 Generic_127111-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5120. The server has an LSISAS3801E HBA card installed and is connected to a StorageTek 2530 array. I have made a volume on arrary using Common Array Manager. I can see the volume on server: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seanban
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making UNIX script executable

Hello, I am very new to UNIX and I have been learning about writing scripts and making them executable. I created a script called myscript. It has three lines: #! /bin/sh # This is my first shell script echo friendsjustfriends Now I try to run it using the sh command and it works Next I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitx
4 Replies

4. Ubuntu

./configure command Error while trying to install GCC compiler on unix machine

Hi, I need to install the GCC compiler on a my Linus machine. First step is to run the ./configure command and here we need to specify ./configure --target="target machine name (CPU type-Manufacturer-OS) or other way would be just give the command ./configure and it guesses the target name... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: viji19812001
11 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 /proc making filesystem full

Hi all, I have a solaris 10 box on which /proc is a part of / The problem is that my / partition is getting full mainly due to /proc getting a lot of files. My question is : Can I delete files/directories in /proc directory. If not what could be the other way round to clean up /proc so... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
18 Replies

6. Solaris

Filesystem - error when extend the filesystem

Hi all, currently , my root filesystem already reach 90 ++% I already add more cylinder in the root partition as below Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 67 - 5086 38.46GB (5020/0/0) 80646300 1 swap wu 1 - ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
11 Replies

7. Linux

Encrypt already install root filesystem

All, Is there a way to encrypt my Ubuntu root HD after installation? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
1 Replies

8. Web Development

forbidden error when accessing file(s) on a unix filesystem

greetings, i was recently asked to install apache1.3.31 on an aix5.3 server so users could have access to their output files. these two directories are nfs filesystems served by a netapp filer mounted on the aix machine. i've made no changes to the apache config and it's running as it came out of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
0 Replies

9. Solaris

ZFS flash install "Unable to create Filesystem error"

Hi, I am trying to get an HPz420 workstation instaled (zfs root pool) via a jump-start server. I have a zfs image (from this workstation) the Solaris release is 10 1/13 update 11. I use a sparc U25 install server, upgraded to the same solaris build 10 1/13. This server is configured to install... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sc0rpie
8 Replies
DISKPART(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       DISKPART(8)

NAME
diskpart -- calculate default disk partition sizes SYNOPSIS
diskpart [-d] [-p] [-s size] disk-type DESCRIPTION
diskpart is used to calculate the disk partition sizes based on the default rules used at Berkeley. Available options and operands: -d An entry suitable for inclusion in the disk description file /etc/disktab is generated; for example, disktab(5). -p Tables suitable for inclusion in a device driver are produced. -s size The size of the disk may be limited to size with the -s option. On disks that use bad144(8) type of bad-sector forwarding, space is normally left in the last partition on the disk for a bad sector forward- ing table, although this space is not reflected in the tables produced. The space reserved is one track for the replicated copies of the ta- ble and sufficient tracks to hold a pool of 126 sectors to which bad sectors are mapped. For more information, see bad144(8). The -s option is intended for other controllers which reserve some space at the end of the disk for bad-sector replacements or other control areas, even if not a multiple of cylinders. The disk partition sizes are based on the total amount of space on the disk as given in the table below (all values are supplied in units of sectors). The 'c' partition is, by convention, used to access the entire physical disk. The device driver tables include the space reserved for the bad sector forwarding table in the 'c' partition; those used in the disktab and default formats exclude reserved tracks. In normal operation, either the 'g' partition is used, or the 'd', 'e', and 'f' partitions are used. The 'g' and 'f' partitions are variable-sized, occupying whatever space remains after allocation of the fixed sized partitions. If the disk is smaller than 20 Megabytes, then diskpart aborts with the message ``disk too small, calculate by hand''. Partition 20-60 MB 61-205 MB 206-355 MB 356+ MB a 15884 15884 15884 15884 b 10032 33440 33440 66880 d 15884 15884 15884 15884 e unused 55936 55936 307200 h unused unused 291346 291346 If an unknown disk type is specified, diskpart will prompt for the required disk geometry information. SEE ALSO
disktab(5), bad144(8) HISTORY
The diskpart command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Most default partition sizes are based on historical artifacts (like the RP06), and may result in unsatisfactory layouts. When using the -d flag, alternative disk names are not included in the output. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD