Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: remove a nonempty directory
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers remove a nonempty directory Post 26938 by Kelam_Magnus on Monday 26th of August 2002 11:34:12 AM
Old 08-26-2002
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!! DANGER!!!

This is my official warning regarding "rm -r somedir".

Please use this with care, because if you mistype the directory, you can do serious damage.

Remember this old but wise saying: " Perfect paranoia is perfect awareness".

And by no means use the rm -r *, I shudder even when I think of this command.Smilie

Smilie Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

smitty, remove user, remove directory as well..

hi, i am on aix. i used smitty to remove a user.. but then found that its directory still exists.... so i have to remove the directory manually... am i doing it the right way? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to delete nonempty directory?

How to delete nonempty directory? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xli3
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Can't remove a directory

Hello, somehow a directory called -r was created on one of my servers and I can't remove is using either rm or rmdir. Is there a way to remove this directory? Thank you. -David (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

count number of nonempty columns in row

Hi, Suppose i have a inputfile in csv format. How to use awk to count 'the number of nonempty columns in each row' minus one, and add the value as a new column in the end For cosmetic reason, it's even better to include a descriptive label for the last column in the first row. for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
2 Replies

5. Programming

Recursive remove directory.

What is the best way to completely remove dir with it's content ??? rmdir deletes only EMPTY dirs as i know. The man page of remove function says "remove() deletes a name from the file system." Can it remove any dir recursively ??? :rolleyes: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trump
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove contents of directory, but not directory

What's the best way to delete everything in a directory, but not the directory itself, without using shell wildcards? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdc
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

use awk to replace empty fields with the latest nonempty field

Hi suppose I have a csv file like this count,1977,1978,1979 usa, , , blue japan, red, yellow,green india, , yellow,blue china, blue, yellow, green I want the output to be(replace everything, including empty data, with the most recent data): ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Directory

By Mistake i created a directory named "-lrt" in one of my working directories and now i am not able to delete it , please suggest hw to delete this directory now ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neeraj617
1 Replies

9. Programming

print all nonempty pipe

I am trying to write a shell script for Linux to print the names of all non empty pipes in the current directory? any help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimesh
3 Replies

10. HP-UX

Directory can't remove!

Hello my friends, I have a directory called log_old when I try to delete it, it tells me no such file or directory. Then I tried to run this command: ls -lb It tells me the directory name, it is: log_old1\177 !! I tried to remove it using inode, using this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
4 Replies
RMDIR(1)							   User Commands							  RMDIR(1)

NAME
rmdir - remove empty directories SYNOPSIS
rmdir [OPTION]... DIRECTORY... DESCRIPTION
Remove the DIRECTORY(ies), if they are empty. --ignore-fail-on-non-empty ignore each failure that is solely because a directory is non-empty -p, --parents remove DIRECTORY and its ancestors; e.g., 'rmdir -p a/b/c' is similar to 'rmdir a/b/c a/b a' -v, --verbose output a diagnostic for every directory processed --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report rmdir translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
rmdir(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/rmdir> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) rmdir invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 RMDIR(1)