Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to define two variable in foreach command?? Post 26737 by peter.herlihy on Thursday 22nd of August 2002 06:11:55 PM
Old 08-22-2002
Yeah...the sorting is dependant on what is wanted to be acheived.

The 'ls' command will produce a sorted list of files in a directory.
The file containing the new names may or may not require sorting - depends on the users need. Sort may well be needed and used. But it may not too!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Grep to Define a Variable

I am using korn shell unix. I have a script that I am working with to do a check for me using a text file. #finds "Time" from the text file and cuts the second field from the #line A= grep Time test.txt | cut -f2 # the "#Missing" is being pulled from the second field of the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cspcspcsp
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

define length of variable

I have a variable with a value of "05". When I add one to that variable, using the command: CURR_YY=`expr $CURR_YY + 1`, I get the value of "6", losing the leading zero (which is needed for passing to another script). How do I keep the leading zero? Thank you! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbarker
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach variable used in awk (please help!!)

I have a list of markers, say marker.txt: rs913257 rs1018390 rs764180 and I need to know which ROW that each marker appears in another map file, say map.txt: a rs12354060 b rs913257 c rs6650104 d rs2185539 e rs6681105 f rs1018390 g rs764180 h rs12564807 i rs3094315 The result... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zoho
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - define a variable

Hello, I would like to define a variable based on another variable: a=5 b$a=100 This does not work. What is the right way to do it? Thanks ---------- Post updated at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:33 PM ---------- Found my answer with the search function (did not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about define variable.

Hi, Unix Gurus, In our existing file, there is a script like #!/bin/sh step=${1:-0} cur_step=10 if ... My question is what's "${1:-0}" mean? I know it defines a variable but I don't know what's (1:-0) mean? :wall: Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Perl can i define a hash with value as variable?

Hi, Is it possible in perl to have a hash defined with variables as theirs key values, like: %account = ('username' => 'boy', 'password' => $password); Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define variable from file.

HI I have file A.txt _1A _2A _3A _4A I want define all as different variable. $1A=_1A $2B=_2A $3C=_3A $4D=_4A Now i can use any variable in my script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to prompt user to define a variable?

Hi everyone, Is it possible to define blank vaianbles and prompt user to fill them during the script execution? A very simple example: INPUT= OUTPUT= cut -f1-4 $INPUT | sed 's/hello/goodbye/g' | sort -uV > $OUTPUTThank you in advance! Best wishes (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsantome
2 Replies
Sort::Key::Maker(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Sort::Key::Maker(3pm)

NAME
Sort::Key::Maker - multikey sorter creator SYNOPSYS
# create a function that sorts strings by length: use Sort::Key::Maker sort_by_length => sub { length $_}, qw(integer); # create a multikey sort function; # first key is integer sorted in descending order, # second key is a string in default (ascending) order: use Sort::Key::Maker ri_s_keysort => qw(-integer string); # some sample data... my @foo = qw(foo bar t too tood mama); # and now, use the sorter functions previously made: # get the values on @foo sorted by length: my @sorted = sort_by_length @foo; # sort @foo inplace by its length and then by its value: ri_s_keysort_inplace { length $_, $_ } @foo; DESCRIPTION
Sort::Key::Maker is a pragmatic module that provides an easy to use interface to Sort::Key multikey sorting functionality. It creates multikey sorting functions on the fly for any key type combination and exports them to the caller package. The key types natively accepted are: string, str, locale, loc, integer, int, unsigned_integer, uint, number, num and support for other types can be added via Sort::Key::Register (or also via Sort::Key::register_type()). USAGE use Sort::Key::Maker foo_sort => @keys; exports two subroutines to the caller package: "foo_sort (&@)" and "foo_sort_inplace (&@)". Those two subroutines require a sub reference as their first argument and then respectively, the list to be sorted or an array. For instance: use Sort::Key::Maker bar_sort => qw(int int str); @bar=qw(doo tomo 45s tio); @sorted = bar_sort { unpack "CCs", $_ } @bar; # or sorting @bar inplace bar_sort_inplace { unpack "CCs", $_ } @bar; use Sort::Key::Maker foo_sort => &genmultikey, @keys; when the first argument after the sorter name is a reference to a subroutine it is used as the multikey extraction function. The generated sorter functions doesn't require neither accept one, i.e.: use Sort::Key::Maker sort_by_length => sub { length $_ }, 'int'; my @sorted = sort_by_length qw(foo goo h mama picasso); SEE ALSO
Sort::Key, Sort::Key::Register. Sort::Maker also available from CPAN provides similar functionality. AUTHOR
Salvador Fandin~o, <sfandino@yahoo.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2005 by Salvador Fandin~o This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.4 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.14.2 2010-04-16 Sort::Key::Maker(3pm)