Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sun Solaris information needed Post 26693 by halfling on Thursday 22nd of August 2002 08:33:49 AM
Old 08-22-2002
I was going to rebuke RTM for saying it costs $20 to download... but sure enough, there it is in black and white Smilie ah well... mores the pity. Grab the Solaris 8 x86 binary, burn it to disk, and pop it on a spare machine.

Confidence grows by leaps and bounds once you start scripting, so my vote goes there too.

If you want hardware, prices have dropped significantly on the Ultra5s, you can grab a 256MB 333MHz boxen for a good price. PCI/IDE internals, no SCSI, but they will run Solaris 8 nicely.

You can go uber cheap and get a Sparc5 (recommend at least 128MB mem, 170MHz cpu), but they are very long in the tooth, and I can't see running anything over Solaris 2.6 on them. They have 13w3 monitor plugs, so that adds the cost of an adapter or new monitor.

Solaris 8 integrates disksuite, a volume management tool. If you go the Ultra5 route, get a cheap-o SCSI card, some cheap-o drives, an external drive enclosure (I hear cardboard works pretty good Smilie) and play around with raid...

www.sun.com/blueprints, docs.sun.com, www.sun.com/bigadmin and www.sunfreeware.com are good leaping off points... only book recommendations I'd give are the Sun Blueprint books... otherwise, everything you need is online.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Info Needed in Seting up An apache Web Server on A Sun Sparc with Solaris 8

I need help in the form of the complete procedures necessary in setting up an Apache web server on a Sun Sparc running Solaris 8 David Johnston P.S New to the Unix arena (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: David Johnston
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Identifying Sun Cluster information

Hi, I need some help, since I am new to cluster. I want to develop application which will discover the information about the cluster and how many nodes are connected to that respective box. Also would like to find out other information about cluster environments. Also please send me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: p_walunjkar
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SA288-sun solaris for systemm admin8,part II pdf needed

Hi All, can any1 plz upload me the SA288-sun solaris for system admin8,part II pdf. I need to do the certification.................plz help me at the earliest Thanks to all (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iliyas
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun Solaris 10: How do I create a bootup disc? The Sun website confuses me

Hey there, I am starting a Computer Science Foundation year at the end of this month and am trying to get a little bit ahead of the game. I have always wanted to learn Unix and am currently struggling with creating a boot disc to run Solaris (I have chosen to study this) from as opposed to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jupiter
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script information needed

Transferring files from one unix server to another one was easy for me. I used a relative path which worked for me. thanks to porter. My question now is that:- 1)Say for instance i have one unix server with name(ABC). PATH: /home/web/props . I have bunch of different users folders in that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1234
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Information needed

As part of a school project I'm supposed to make a webpage on operating systems (Other than windows) and the three I was told to do were Linux, Unix, and Mac. I got Linux and Mac done pretty easily because I use them a lot but Unix is showing some problems. Could anyone give me some information on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shinjin
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun Fire 280R Sun Solaris CRT/Monitor requirements

I am new to Sun. I brought Sun Fire 280R to practice UNIX. What are the requirements for the monitor/CRT? Will it burn out old non-Sun CRTs? Does it need LCD monitor? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bramptonmt
3 Replies

8. Solaris

How to get system parameters / information on Sun Solaris 5.10

Hello to everyone, i am new to Sun Solaris. i have Solaris 5.10 installed on the X86 platform. i am writing a script which gathers some system information. but i can not find some of the parameter from the system can any one please suggest to way to find these params. shell command will be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikhil.sigpro
1 Replies

9. Solaris

VxVM + sun cluster information

hi , i installed sun cluster on 2 nodes , and i have one shared disk , problem is i couldnt able to deport and import shared disk group properly. thanks for ur help ravi sankar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankr3
2 Replies
install-solaris(1M)                                                                                                            install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)