Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming child process hang up, help!!! Post 26609 by Perderabo on Wednesday 21st of August 2002 09:34:15 AM
Old 08-21-2002
When the more process aborts, your parent process will continue to write. This will cause it to get a SIGPIPE signal and abort. It needs to catch SIGPIPE and gracefully shutdown the children.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Hang a Process

this may be something trivial to many of you, but is there a way to purposely cause a process to hang? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the parent process to wait for the child process

Hi All, I have two ksh script. 1st script calls the 2nd script and the second script calls an 'C' program. I want 1st script to wait until the 'C' program completes. I cant able to get the process id for the 'C' program (child process) to make the 1st script to wait for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sennidurai
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH/Bash] Starting a parent process from a child process?

Hey all, I need to launch a script from within 2 other scripts that can run independently of the two parent scripts... Im having a hard time doing this, if anyone knows how please let me know. More detail. ScriptA (bash), ScriptB (ksh), ScriptC (bash) ScriptA, launches ScriptB ScirptB,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
7 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

signal between parent process and child process

Hello, everyone. Here's a program: pid_t pid = fork(); if (0 == pid) // child process { execvp ...; } I send a signal (such as SIGINT) to the parent process, the child process receive the signal as well as the parent process. However I don't want to child process to receive the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackliang
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Kill process which is in hang state

Hi, Can anyone help to create a script that will kill the process which is in hang state. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: A.Santhosh
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Boot process hang

Hello, Sometime i see that the boot process hangs. I am using rhel 6.2. At that time in the console i see Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)... SSH service seems to be started but i can't login... ssh logs (last lines) in verbose mode level 3: debug2: we did not send a packet,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
3 Replies

8. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
PIPE(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe -- create descriptor pair for interprocess communication SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int pipe(int fildes[2]); DESCRIPTION
The pipe() function creates a pipe (an object that allows unidirectional data flow) and allocates a pair of file descriptors. The first descriptor connects to the read end of the pipe; the second connects to the write end. Data written to fildes[1] appears on (i.e., can be read from) fildes[0]. This allows the output of one program to be sent to another pro- gram: the source's standard output is set up to be the write end of the pipe; the sink's standard input is set up to be the read end of the pipe. The pipe itself persists until all of its associated descriptors are closed. A pipe whose read or write end has been closed is considered widowed. Writing on such a pipe causes the writing process to receive a SIGPIPE signal. Widowing a pipe is the only way to deliver end-of-file to a reader: after the reader consumes any buffered data, reading a widowed pipe returns a zero count. The generation of the SIGPIPE signal can be suppressed using the F_SETNOSIGPIPE fcntl command. RETURN VALUES
On successful creation of the pipe, zero is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and the variable errno set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The pipe() call will fail if: [EFAULT] The fildes buffer is in an invalid area of the process's address space. [EMFILE] Too many descriptors are active. [ENFILE] The system file table is full. SEE ALSO
sh(1), fork(2), read(2), socketpair(2), fcntl(2), write(2) HISTORY
A pipe() function call appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. 4th Berkeley Distribution February 17, 2011 4th Berkeley Distribution