Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SVR4 or BSD?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users SVR4 or BSD? Post 26587 by qanda on Wednesday 21st of August 2002 03:35:27 AM
Old 08-21-2002
SVR4 or BSD?

Can we determine (reliably or guaranteed) at runtime if a system is SVR4 or BSD based, using two methods, shell and binary (C code)?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

for linux and BSD users interested in Unix system V/bsd

for all you unix/linux interested heres an online book for free that covers the basics of BSD SysV Unix commands and applications . giving the average linux user a perspective on the differences in context of the two operating systems and for BSD users covers material as a refernce guide. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SVR4 UNIX questions

Hi My main problem is trying to reset the password on an ancient (but still live) server. I have booted from floppy into maintenance mode, but it won't allow me to mount /. I'm using mount -F vxfs /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 /mnt and I get an error message along the lines of "operation not applicable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweetleaf
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying large file problem on SVR4 Unix

We have 3 Unix servers all running SVR4 Unix 1.4. I have no problems copying files to and from 2 of the servers using either the rcp command or ftp but when i come to transfer large files to the third server the copy gives up part way through and crashes this server. Copying smaller files using RCP... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coatesd
7 Replies

4. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

SVR4 on virtual machine help

Hello to all UNIX experts! This is my problem: I have to emulate an old UNIX System 5 release 4 on a virtual machine. I've got 30 images (.IMA) of 1.4M floppy where there is the installation of SVR4. How I can install it with those files? I tried with Vmware 7 workstation but it says 'Operating... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need help adding network printer on SVR4

We have a very old and unsupported box. It runs DC/OSx, SVR4. For the past 12 years all printers have been connected via terminal servers and working well. Now those terminal servers are dying and cannot be replaced or repaired. Of course the right solution is to upgrade, but that's not gonna... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbcamel
10 Replies

6. Hardware

Upgrading antique Unisys U6000 / UNIX SVR4 1.2?

I have an old Unisys U6000/65 server I obtained as surplus about 12 years ago. For its day (1993) this server line was capable of insane ability, up to 4 gig of memory using dozens of 30-pin SIMMs and up to six processors, including mixed processor speeds and types (486/Pentium) in the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DMahalko
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

How to switch from SVR4/BSD internals to Linux internals?

Hello, Long-time Unix hacker here - I've worked on four variants of the kernel prior to the introduction of Linux. In my spare time, I've written Linux (Ubuntu) device drivers, kernel modules, cross-compiled, and built the kernel. I'd like to do Linux internals/device drivers as a day job,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OriginalVersion
1 Replies
STREAMS(4)						 BSD/i386 Kernel Interfaces Manual						STREAMS(4)

NAME
streams -- System V STREAMS networking ABI support SYNOPSIS
To compile support for this ABI into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device streams Alternatively, to load the ABI as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): streams_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The streams module provides limited System V Release 4 STREAMS interprocess communication ABI (application binary interface) compatibility for userland applications. Internally, streams provides STREAMS handles by using socket creation kernel routines, and adding state-tracking information to the socket to permit manipulation by STREAMS emulation code in svr4(4). Hence, opening a stream device produces a result similar to what would be obtained by calling socket(2). Applications should never use this interface directly: STREAMS emulation is only provided as a service to support ABI requirements in the SVR4 environment which svr4(4) needs to present to client binaries. SEE ALSO
svr4(4) HISTORY
System V Release 4 ABI support first appeared in FreeBSD 4.0. The ABI was ported from an equivalent facility present in NetBSD 1.3 written by Christos Zoulas. BUGS
This whole interface is a crude hack to produce STREAMS semantics through emulation over sockets. Programmers who hope to be able to use this interface to provide SVR4 STREAMS services to BSD applications will be sorely disappointed. BSD
March 17, 2008 BSD