Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: display full process name
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers display full process name Post 26496 by champion on Tuesday 20th of August 2002 01:41:18 AM
Old 08-20-2002
display full process name

hi,

everytime i use the "ps -elf" command to monitor the processes, i always encounter one problem.

some process names are just to long and was truncated.

what command should i use to display the full command/process that is running.

pls help me. urgent.

thanksSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

process executable file full path

hi guys i give "ps -ef | grep some_executable_file" on the command line. this "some_executable_file" resides on many paths which r included in the PATH environment variable, so the output depicts only "some_executable_file" in the COMMAND column. how can i get the full path? thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtrix
3 Replies

2. AIX

Process status display

On AIX 5.2, I use "ps -ef " command to display the process status, the field of command looks like: , the detailed contents are: # ps -ef |grep rtesfmrt Display: osa 32455 1 0 18:20 - 1:57 The origianl format shoud be: osa 32455 1 0 18:20 - 1:57 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display full unix path as part of the command line

Hi all, Does anyone know how to ammend the .cshrc file in $HOME for your session to display the path as part of the command line? So that I dont need to keep on typing pwd to see where I am? thanks Ocelot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
3 Replies

4. AIX

Getting the process full command line

Hi, I am running java process that has a long command line. Is there a way to get the full command line? By running ps -ef has returns around 2000 chars By running ps eww returns around 2020 chars I am running on AIX 5.3 Thanks, Fredy (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredy
0 Replies

5. Programming

display in a child process a command called in the parent one

Hi , Could you tell me if I am right 1. Using fork(), pipe(), execlp() and dup() (see man 2 dup), write a C program executing the command ps -j in a parent process, displaying the result in a child process. #include <unistd.h> #include <errno.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h>... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: remid1985
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

display a process args list

Hi, I have a problem. Suppose there's a process running in background which has many arguments, does anyone know how I can display all the arguments? I tried both commands ‘ps -o args -fu erwin' and ‘pgrep -f proc_name' but they show only 80 characters which is not enough to display all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ermur
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display full command (including options) information in running

Suppose I am a Unix user, not a root. I can see all commands in running by ps -elf, or some similar commands. Such commands may be submit by other Unix users. Is there a way that I can display those commands with their full parameters/options. For example, I can see a user is running "ls"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happy_lotus
3 Replies

8. AIX

How to display the full username using 'lpstat'?

Hello, I would like to get the full username when I run the command 'lpstat'. I've tried using the tags -t and -W, but nothing works. It seems that the username has a fixed length. However I need the complete name. Thanks a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ribaldo
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display current directory for a running process for script

I'm trying to create a ksh script to do the following: 1) Ask the user what process they want to search for. 2) Have the script read the input as a variable and use it to search for the process. 3) Display the current time & date, the working directory of the process, and finally display the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
6 Replies

10. HP-UX

PS output is not displaying full process running

I have 4 HPUX 11.31 servers with the same Quality Pack bundles. "AS FAR AS I CAN TELL" no system files have been modified. /usr/bin/ps is the same date size and creation date terminfo file (x-->xterm) is the same date size and creation date shell (ksh) is the same date size and creation date ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
4 Replies
PSTREE(1)							   User Commands							 PSTREE(1)

NAME
pstree - display a tree of processes SYNOPSIS
pstree [-a] [-c] [-h|-Hpid] [-l] [-n] [-p] [-u] [-G|-U] [pid|user] pstree -V DESCRIPTION
pstree shows running processes as a tree. The tree is rooted at either pid or init if pid is omitted. If a user name is specified, all process trees rooted at processes owned by that user are shown. pstree visually merges identical branches by putting them in square brackets and prefixing them with the repetition count, e.g. init-+-getty |-getty |-getty `-getty becomes init---4*[getty] OPTIONS
-a Show command line arguments. If the command line of a process is swapped out, that process is shown in parentheses. -a implicitly disables compaction. -c Disable compaction of identical subtrees. By default, subtrees are compacted whenever possible. -G Use VT100 line drawing characters. -h Highlight the current process and its ancestors. This is a no-op if the terminal doesn't support highlighting or if neither the cur- rent process nor any of its ancestors are in the subtree being shown. -H Like -h, but highlight the specified process instead. Unlike with -h, pstree fails when using -H if highlighting is not available. -l Display long lines. By default, lines are truncated to the display width or 132 if output is sent to a non-tty or if the display width is unknown. -n Sort processes with the same ancestor by PID instead of by name. (Numeric sort.) -p Show PIDs. PIDs are shown as decimal numbers in parentheses after each process name. -p implicitly disables compaction. -u Show uid transitions. Whenever the uid of a process differs from the uid of its parent, the new uid is shown in parentheses after the process name. -U Use UTF-8 (Unicode) line drawing characters. Under Linux 1.1-54 and above, UTF-8 mode is entered on the console with echo -e '33%8' and left with echo -e '33%@' -V Display version information. -s (Flask) Show Security ID (SID) for each process. -x (Flask) Show security context for each process. FILES
/proc location of the proc file system AUTHOR
Werner Almesberger <Werner.Almesberger@epfl.ch> SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1) Linux May 6, 1998 PSTREE(1)