Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to check if a unix text file is being accessed? Post 26480 by oombera on Monday 19th of August 2002 02:42:40 PM
Old 08-19-2002
flock command in perl

I'm not sure if you use an error subroutine in case the file cannot be opened, closed, etc, but here's one possible way to code this:
Code:
open (file_label, "file_path") || Error('open', 'file');
flock (file_label, 1) || Error('lock', 'file');
my @array_name = <file_label>;
close (file_label) || Error ('close', 'file');

sub Error {
 print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
 print "The server can't $_[0] the $_[1] : $! \n";
 exit;
}

This will request shared access to a file in order to read from it and then will store the whole file in an array.

Replace the '1' in the flock() command with a '2' if you want to request exclusive access to a file, in order to write to it.

added code tags for readability

Last edited by oombera; 02-19-2004 at 02:44 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list file which is accessed yesterday

how can I use 'ls' to list file which is accessed yesterday? Thx :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaron_fong
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i check if text file is closed ?

Hello all im trying to make daemon that listen for incoming textiles and then it will move them to defined directory now the daemon part is ok but im stack on how to check of file is close and done copied to directory . so i could process it and move it forward tnx (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know which login file is being accessed

when unix is logged in it access some login file depending on the shell like .cshrc , .login , .vimrc , .bashrc how can we know which is being access in a perticular unix flavor. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we get the list of users who accessed a file

Hi all, I will thankful if anybody helps me in finding out the users who accessed any of our files. Thanks in advance Chanakya (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
2 Replies

5. AIX

File Accessed Alarm ??

Hey, I want to ask a simple Question.... How would I be able to come to know that files/directoires in a Parent directory has been accessed (means contents of the file has been just viewed) by the user(s) in a group ? and mail the name(s) of those files/directories which has been accessed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varungupta
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Accessed Alarm ??

Hey, I want to ask a simple Question.... How would I be able to come to know that files/directoires in a Parent directory has been accessed (means contents of the file has been just viewed) by the user(s) in a group ? and mail the name(s) of those files/directories which has been accessed... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if file is being accessed by any application

Hello, is there maybe a way to check if a specific file is being accessed at the moment? Example: You will start copying a 10 GB file from A to B, how could I code it so my script actually knows when file B is finished copying? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TehOne
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check EOF char in Unix. OR To check file has been received completely from a remote system

Advance Thanks. (1) I would like to know any unix/Linux command to check EOF char in a file. (2) Or Any way I can check a file has been reached completely at machine B from machine A. Note that machine A ftp/scp the file to machine B at unknown time. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find out last 5 users who have accessed a file?

Hi All, is there any command or script to find out last five users who have accessed a file thanks jcpratap (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File shows in ls but cannot be accessed

I can do an ls -l CD* and see the following CDTEST userA RW RW R and I an logged on as userA. But if I do an ls -l the file does not appear. If I do a vi CDTEST it tries to create a new file named CDTEST. If I do a mv or rm I get the message no file of name CDTEST found. Any idea what is going on.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeeT
3 Replies
FLOCK(1)							   User Commands							  FLOCK(1)

NAME
flock - manage locks from shell scripts SYNOPSIS
flock [options] file|directory command [arguments] flock [options] file|directory -c command flock [options] number DESCRIPTION
This utility manages flock(2) locks from within shell scripts or from the command line. The first and second of the above forms wrap the lock around the execution of a command, in a manner similar to su(1) or newgrp(1). They lock a specified file or directory, which is created (assuming appropriate permissions) if it does not already exist. By default, if the lock cannot be immediately acquired, flock waits until the lock is available. The third form uses an open file by its file descriptor number. See the examples below for how that can be used. OPTIONS
-c, --command command Pass a single command, without arguments, to the shell with -c. -E, --conflict-exit-code number The exit code used when the -n option is in use, and the conflicting lock exists, or the -w option is in use, and the timeout is reached. The default value is 1. -F, --no-fork Do not fork before executing command. Upon execution the flock process is replaced by command which continues to hold the lock. This option is incompatible with --close as there would otherwise be nothing left to hold the lock. -e, -x, --exclusive Obtain an exclusive lock, sometimes called a write lock. This is the default. -n, --nb, --nonblock Fail rather than wait if the lock cannot be immediately acquired. See the -E option for the exit code used. -o, --close Close the file descriptor on which the lock is held before executing command. This is useful if command spawns a child process which should not be holding the lock. -s, --shared Obtain a shared lock, sometimes called a read lock. -u, --unlock Drop a lock. This is usually not required, since a lock is automatically dropped when the file is closed. However, it may be required in special cases, for example if the enclosed command group may have forked a background process which should not be hold- ing the lock. -w, --wait, --timeout seconds Fail if the lock cannot be acquired within seconds. Decimal fractional values are allowed. See the -E option for the exit code used. The zero number of seconds is interpreted as --nonblock. --verbose Report how long it took to acquire the lock, or why the lock could not be obtained. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
shell1> flock /tmp -c cat shell2> flock -w .007 /tmp -c echo; /bin/echo $? Set exclusive lock to directory /tmp and the second command will fail. shell1> flock -s /tmp -c cat shell2> flock -s -w .007 /tmp -c echo; /bin/echo $? Set shared lock to directory /tmp and the second command will not fail. Notice that attempting to get exclusive lock with second command would fail. shell> flock -x local-lock-file echo 'a b c' Grab the exclusive lock "local-lock-file" before running echo with 'a b c'. ( flock -n 9 || exit 1 # ... commands executed under lock ... ) 9>/var/lock/mylockfile The form is convenient inside shell scripts. The mode used to open the file doesn't matter to flock; using > or >> allows the lock- file to be created if it does not already exist, however, write permission is required. Using < requires that the file already exists but only read permission is required. [ "${FLOCKER}" != "$0" ] && exec env FLOCKER="$0" flock -en "$0" "$0" "$@" || : This is useful boilerplate code for shell scripts. Put it at the top of the shell script you want to lock and it'll automatically lock itself on the first run. If the env var $FLOCKER is not set to the shell script that is being run, then execute flock and grab an exclusive non-blocking lock (using the script itself as the lock file) before re-execing itself with the right arguments. It also sets the FLOCKER env var to the right value so it doesn't run again. EXIT STATUS
The command uses sysexits.h return values for everything, except when using either of the options -n or -w which report a failure to acquire the lock with a return value given by the -E option, or 1 by default. When using the command variant, and executing the child worked, then the exit status is that of the child command. AUTHOR
H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2006 H. Peter Anvin. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
flock(2) AVAILABILITY
The flock command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux July 2014 FLOCK(1)