Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Basic information please.
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Basic information please. Post 26426 by Sleeper =RG= on Saturday 17th of August 2002 04:26:33 PM
Old 08-17-2002
Question Basic information please.

Good day all.
I was glad to find this site. I am not new to computing as I have been in the field sense 1986 but my experience has almost all been with Windows systems. I garbed a book and managed to get a UNIX box running FreeBSD for my mail server and I'm serving 3 web sites off of two Win-98 systems and I have a block of IP's.

I have two partners in the business, One in EU and one nine states away. I am looking for a way for them to be able to access the UNIX systems here from there windows systems to admin it.

I am in the process of learning how to move the web hosting to the UNIX box so it is all in one place as I understand one can assign the different domains that are pointed to different IP's and UNIX can sort them out.

I just do not readily see the best interface for a Win-98 system to admin the UNIX box. Can you all help me out here?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic

hi, I am pretty new both to unix and this forum, can anyone help me to give shortcuts to my commands... eg:- instead of "cd /usr/bin" i want to to give " bin " and get to that path. I'm using HP-UX 11.0 abey (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abey
2 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Basic...

hi, I am pretty new both to unix and this forum, can anyone help me to give shortcuts to my commands... eg:- instead of "cd /usr/bin" i want to to give " bin " and get to that path. I'm using HP-UX 11.0 abey (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abey
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Bt-basic

Hi Guys, I very new to bt-basic even I got 8 years experience on UNIX. I searched through google about bt-basic but nothing really give me solid documentation. Anybody have documentation or manual for this bt-basic? Pls help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahru
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need some basic help

Hi everyone, I need some help! I know that this is a very simple little problem but I seem to be stuck. I was just wondering if you could show me the right way. I basicly have to write a single line of commands (using piping) to do the following: From the file data.txt, select all of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itk
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic if else

I know this is pretty basic, but i cant figure it out to save my life. i want it to ask for a variable, as long as that variable isnt -/0 i want it to print out the area. else if the variable is -/0, i want it to print out invalid entry. the only problem is it will still try to print out the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cookiebooy
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Basic - how do I?

How do I use ls and grep together to count a certain number of files in a directory? -Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: secno
1 Replies

7. Android

Basic Android platform information.

I am thinking of developing an app' for Android mobile devices... Two questions here:- 1) Does anyone _develop_ for the Android _mobile_ platform? If so do you use OSX 10.7.5 or greater as your _development_platform_? 2) I know ********* is gonna say that the Android terminal/shell is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic help

Hi , I need to know the difference between $((command)) and $(command) and $(($(command))). "" and '' and ``. I have tried searching the help files but cant able to find this. Could you let me knoq about any document. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj999
4 Replies
rtc(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   rtc(1M)

NAME
rtc - provide all real-time clock and GMT-lag management SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/rtc [-c] [-z zone-name] DESCRIPTION
On x86 systems, the rtc command reconciles the difference in the way that time is established between UNIX and MS-DOS systems. UNIX systems utilize Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), while MS-DOS systems utilize local time. Without arguments, rtc displays the currently configured time zone string. The currently configured time zone string is based on what was last recorded by rtc-z zone-name. The rtc command is not normally run from a shell prompt; it is generally invoked by the system. Commands such as date(1) and rdate(1M), which are used to set the time on a system, invoke /usr/sbin/rtc -c to ensure that daylight savings time (DST) is corrected for properly. OPTIONS
-c This option checks for DST and makes corrections if necessary. It is normally run once a day by a cron job. If there is no RTC time zone or /etc/rtc_config file, this option will do nothing. -z zone-name This option, which is normally run by the system at software installation time, is used to specify the time zone in which the RTC is to be maintained. It updates the configuration file /etc/rtc_config with the name of the specified zone and the current GMT lag for that zone. If there is an existing rtc_config file, this command will update it. If not, this command will create it. FILES
/etc/rtc_config The data file used to record the time zone and GMT lag. This file is completely managed by /usr/sbin/rtc, and it is read by the kernel. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
date(1), rdate(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Oct 2003 rtc(1M)