Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vdump of two filesystems
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Vdump of two filesystems Post 26375 by Nisha on Friday 16th of August 2002 02:53:13 AM
Old 08-16-2002
Look at this site...

http://btrcx1.cip.uni-bayreuth.de/cg...npages/vdump/8

It says

The vdump and rvdump commands are the backup facility for the AdvFS file system. However, the commands are file-system independent, and you can use them to back up other file systems, such as UFS and NFS.

Hope this is of some help to you...

-Nisha

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Filesystems

my partner change the server's ip address and now i can't to mount the oracle's filesystem, what i do? i don't want to reinstall Unix. My unix is SCO UNIX 5.0.5 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: marun
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filesystems GT 95%

Hi How can I only print the file systems that are more than 95% full. I used the df -k output and tried to check for each file system and then print only the ones that meet the criteria... But my solution seems cloodgie ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: YS2002
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

digital unix vdump restore in hp ux11i

Could you pls give a solution how to resotore the backup taken from digital unix using vdump to hp ux11i. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jestinabel
1 Replies

4. AIX

vdump on aix?

As far as I know vdump command is used only on Tru64 (correct me if I'm wrong). The question is: what is the command on aix that does the same thing (logically speaking)? Tnx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: veccinho
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can I safely kill vdump?

Sceduled backups with vdump have been delayed as a mounted system had crashed while I was away for 2 weeks. Now there are 5 simultaneous vdumps running very slowly. The full system backup usually takes a whole weekend. Can I safely kill these? (I will have to live without a backup untill next... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickt
4 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

vdump to rsh

delete me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john-e
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and vdump on same tape?

Hello, This might be a dumb question, but I havent been able to find the answer anywhere. I currently have a backup script that uses 'tar' to backup some files to tape. I need to add a directory to the backup script, but I want to use 'vdump' to back it up to tape. So my question is can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

vdump or vdump on tru64 unix

i have a script on a tru64 system that backups data from severral folders on a tape the command that it uses is this : vdump 0N /usr > /dev/null (for backuping the usr folder). somehow it has predefined that /dev/null is the tape the problem is that the tape has broke down so i need an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: el97639
0 Replies

9. HP-UX

Problem with vdump command on TRU64

Hi all, I have a system with TRU64 system (quite old). I use to run script to make save of important system partitions. The command to save the partition "/" is : /sbin/vdump -0uDf /mnt/Sauvegarde/dump/slash.dump.0 /. (/mnt/Sauvegarde is NFS mounted, but this is no matter) This script ran for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

filesystems > 70%

I need a scrip that will show me the filesystems that are greater than 70%...but not sure how to filter using the df -h | grep Thank you for your help!! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eponcedeleonc
6 Replies
clonefset(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      clonefset(8)

NAME
clonefset - Creates a read-only copy of an AdvFS fileset SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/clonefset domain fileset clonename OPERANDS
Specifies the name of an existing AdvFS file domain. Specifies the name of the original fileset that the clonefset utility will clone. Specifies the name of the read-only fileset created by the clonefset utility. DESCRIPTION
The clonefset utility enables you to perform online backups of active files by making a read-only copy (clone) of an active fileset. Once you create and mount a clone fileset, you can back up the clone using the vdump command or other supported backup utility (the dump command is not supported by AdvFS). Note that the clonefset utility only clones AdvFS filesets; it does not clone UFS file systems. A clone fileset is a read-only snapshot of fileset data structures (metadata). When you clone a fileset, the utility copies only the structure of the original fileset, not its data. When you modify files in the original fileset, the file system copies the original pages to the clone fileset. In this way, the clone fileset contents remain the same as when you first created it. You can create new versions of a clone fileset, but you can maintain only one clone per fileset at a time. You cannot rename a clone file- set, but there is a workaround. You can remove an existing clone fileset (and all its files) by using the rmfset command, then create a new one with the new name. RESTRICTIONS
Each fileset within a domain must have a unique name of up to 31 characters. All whitespace characters (tab, new line, space, and so forth) and the / # : * ? characters are invalid for fileset names. Do not create a clone fileset if the available disk space for the file domain is less than 5 percent of the total. When a file domain runs out of disk space, the file system loses its ability to maintain the consistency of files within clone filesets. When the file system can no longer maintain consistency, it displays warning messages similar to the following on the user's terminal and to the console: WARNING: advfs cannot copy-on-write data to a clone file. WARNING: encountered the following error: ENO_MORE_BLKS (-1040) WARNING: do not continue using the clone fileset. WARNING: original file set: name=mnt, id=2c06a73f.00027192.00000001.8001 WARNING: clone file set: name=clone, id=2c06a73f.00027192.00000002.8002 WARNING: file id = 0000000a.8002 This message also appears in the /var/adm/syslog.dated/latest_boot_date/kern.log file. EXAMPLES
The following example creates a read-only copy of the credit_fs fileset that resides in the accounts_dmn file domain. The clone fileset name in this example is credit_clone1. This example also performs an online backup and removes the clone fileset after the backup is com- plete: # mkdir /mnt/credit_clone1 # clonefset accounts_dmn credit_fs credit_clone1 # mount -t advfs account_dmn#credit_clone1 /mnt/credit_clone1 # vdump /mnt/credit_clone1 # umount /mnt/credit_clone1 # rmfset account_dmn credit_clone1 SEE ALSO
Commands: tar(1), showfdmn(8), vdump(8), vrestore(8) Functions: advfs_clonefset(3) File Formats: advfs(4) clonefset(8)