Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris Server Crash
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Solaris Server Crash Post 26344 by Breen on Thursday 15th of August 2002 12:48:34 PM
Old 08-15-2002
Solaris Server Crash

We have had a server (Solaris 2.6) hardisk crash. When booting the server we get:

ok> boot -S
Boot Device: /sbus/espdmc@e, 8400000/esp@e,8800000/sd@0,0
short read 0x2000 chars read
disk read error

The only way we can get into the console is to
ok> boot cdrom
whereby everything (e.g. /mnt) is read-only.
It seems the /devices are not mounting due to the kernal reading a faulty block upon normal startup (I assume the block holding the kernal is ok, because we can boot the cd-rom).
We've also tried fsck, but no luck as the block in question is not mounted.

Do we fear the worst and look to re-install the OS?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux server crash

Hi I faced a problem while booting linux which is as follows;- ************************************************* Inode 146180 has illegal block(s) xauth:error in locking authority file /home/root/.Xauthority Fatal Server Error: Could not create lock file in /tmp/tXo-lock ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Abhishek
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

server crash

Our SUn Solaris Server has crashed second time in 2 days, reason is not known , we are trying to determine what could have gone wrong, any ideas, the power supply seems to be fine, there is no response from keyboard,monitor etc and we had to do a hot boot yesterday.. Any suggestions what could be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: knarayan
9 Replies

3. Programming

Client/Server Socket Application - Preventing Client from quitting on server crash

Problem - Linux Client/Server Socket Application: Preventing Client from quitting on server crash Hi, I am writing a Linux socket Server and Client using TCP protocol on Ubuntu 9.04 x64. I am having problem trying to implement a scenario where the client should keep running even when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun.nagpaal
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Sparc Solaris 8 crash dump

My sparc solaris 8 server crashed/rebooted yesterday and I have the vmcore files. I have some initial output from SCAT and ACT. I have not included all but any info would be helpful. I can supply more output if necessary. Thanks you. Can I have any information about this ACT and SCAT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
2 Replies

5. SCO

Crash error on my unix server

Hi there. Well i have a really bad problem with my server: UnixWare Version 5 Release 7 The system crash :wall: and show the error: Panic: Kernel-mode address fault on user address 0x00000004 :eek: If anyone knows about the reason of this error please give me a help Sorry by my english.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: danilosevilla
3 Replies

6. Programming

Client accidently close when the server crash

The steps to test the problem 1. Open TCP Server 2. Open TCP Client 3. TCP Client sends data to Server. 4. Close TCP Server and the client also crash without any notification Second wonderful test: 1. Comment the following statement in Client.c (at line 168) and compile it Writen(... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sehang
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

how to configure netdump to copy the crash in the server itself??

hi, i would like to configure netdump, but saving the var/crash in the server itself, not in another server. could anybody tell me if this is possible? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Question with Solaris Crash Analysis Tool with Solaris 9

Hello all. I am new hear and would like to ask a question regarding to the Solaris Crash Analysis Tool. We are analyzing the results of "thread summary" but not quite sure what the asterisk represents. Following are the items that asterisk were attached. 50* threads sleeping on a semaphore (49... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: YuW
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris U10 - Crash OS

Hello, I an triyng to write an emergency procedure, and I need your help, or point of view. I trying to find a way to get connected to an U10 Sun Solaris by the serial port to be able to get access to the system to debug systeme crash before restarting the server. The SUN U10 does not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Check for existence of crash on Solaris 10

Hey all what is the command to check "Check for existence of crash/coredump files in /var/crash/"hostname" directory" thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gema.utama
4 Replies
BACKUP_RESTOREDB(8)					       AFS Command Reference					       BACKUP_RESTOREDB(8)

NAME
backup_restoredb - Restores a saved copy of the Backup Database SYNOPSIS
backup restoredb [-portoffset <TC port offset>] [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help] backup res [-p <TC port offset>] [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup restoredb command restores to the Backup Server machine's local disk a version of the Backup Database previously written to tape by using the backup savedb command. (If the "FILE YES" instruction appears in the /var/lib/openafs/backup/CFG_device_name file associated with the specified port offset, then the backup restoredb command restores data from the backup data file listed for that port offset in the Tape Coordinator's /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file, instead of from tape. For the sake of clarity, the following text refers to tapes only, but the Backup System handles backup data files in much the same way.) The most common reason to run this command is to replace a corrupted or otherwise damaged Backup Database; use the backup dbverify command to determine the database's status. The command can also be used to restore records that were removed from the database when the -archive argument was included on a previous backup savedb command. The command completely overwrites the existing Backup Database records for volume sets, Tape Coordinators, and the dump hierarchy with the corresponding information from the saved version. It does not overwrite existing dump records, but instead interleaves the records from the copy being restored. If both the existing database (on the Backup Server machine's disk) and the copy being restored include a record about the same dump, the Backup System retains the one in the existing database. The Tape Coordinator's default response to this command is to access the first tape it needs by invoking the "MOUNT" instruction in the local /var/lib/openafs/backup/CFG_device_name file, or by prompting the backup operator to insert the tape if there is no "MOUNT" instruction. However, if the "AUTOQUERY NO" instruction appears in the CFG_device_name file, or if the issuer of the butc command included the -noautoquery flag, the Tape Coordinator instead expects the tape to be in the device already. If it is not, or is the wrong tape, the Tape Coordinator invokes the "MOUNT" instruction or prompts the operator. It also invokes the "MOUNT" instruction or prompts for any additional tapes needed to complete the restore operation; the backup operator must arrange to provide them. CAUTIONS
If the database is corrupted, do not attempt to restore a saved database on top of it. Instead, use the instructions for repairing a corrupted database in the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter about performing backup operations. OPTIONS
-portoffset <TC port offset> Specifies the port offset number of the Tape Coordinator handling the tapes for this operation. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more details, see backup(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following example shows the Backup Database being restored from the Tape Coordinator with port offset 0: % backup restoredb PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. SEE ALSO
butc(5), backup(8), backup_dbverify(8), backup_savedb(8), butc(8) The OpenAFS Administration Guide at <http://docs.openafs.org/AdminGuide/>. COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_RESTOREDB(8)