Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers directory permissions and CHMOD Post 26304 by RTM on Wednesday 14th of August 2002 01:00:06 PM
Old 08-14-2002
Our site uses NIS with home directories on a NetApp server. The only way to create directories with this configuration is to be on a server that is Master in NIS and a Master of the NetApp server.

You may be hitting the same type of situation. If you are adding a local user, then put their home directory as /export/home/userX.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod permissions

Is there any way that you can set it up so when you create a file it has the chmod permissions of u+x? I am not a root user on the system (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: himurak
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

chmod (permissions) * not working on remote server

Hi gurus ! I am developing a FTP script which will copy all the files from one server to another server and then I need to use CHMOD 755 * to set permissions of all the files just copied to the remote server. mput * chmod 755 * CHMOD gives me an error CHMOD works fine If I specify... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdlayeeq
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what to chmod to write in a directory?

i am unable to write to some .php files in the following directory: drwxr-xr-x 3 headroom max 448 Jun 6 2004 Docs i already tried this: chmod +777 Docs chmod: changing permissions of `Docs': Operation not permitted thanks for your help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phonedog365
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod erased a directory(?)

I was attempting to change permissions on a directory, used a 'chmod -rwrwrw DirectoryName' command, and hit enter. Now, that directory shows that it's empty! How could this be? Any Ideas? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmooBG
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls and chmod numeric permissions

Hello, When I do a "ls -l" I can see my directories have drwxr-xr-xr. I am more used to the chmod numerical syntax like 755. Is there an easy way to list out the numerical permissions rather than rwx etc. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rondebbs
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix chmod permissions

Hello all, Trying to do the following. 1. Run Windows installer from a unix server. 2. Let user run the shortcut but not allow access to the folder where the exe itself is running. What I have done so far: 1. Copied the application to the server and placed in a folder called "data".... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whiterabbit
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing permissions on a 444 file (ie chmod 444)

if I have a file set to permisions 444 (r-- r-- r--) should anyone other than the owner and root be able to change these permissions or delete the file. Apologies if this is a no-brainer but I cant test it myself and someone in our organisation is playin around with files they shouldnt be (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
1 Replies

8. Programming

chmod:No such file or directory

sprintf(fname, "core.%d", pid); (void) unlink(fname); if (ttrace(TT_PROC_CORE, pid, 0, 0, 0, 0) != 0) { perror("TT_PROC_CORE pass"); Fail(); } if (chmod(fname, 0) != 0) { perror("chmod"); Fail(); } Hi, If i execute above code,everytime am getting below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansa
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

chmod only immediate directory?

I am having trouble figuring out how to do a "chmod o-w" for all files under a certain directory, while excluding directories under that certain directory. I can do chmod -R o-w /thisdirectory but that changes permissions of all directories under the directory as well as files. I just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access permissions chmod 606

Hi All I am running Ubuntu linux flavour. I need provide multiple users belonging to the same group access to a dir where they can write files but are not supposed to remove or rename files. users outside the group should be able to read and write to the dir. i have set the permission of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Simza
7 Replies
nisls(1)							   User Commands							  nisls(1)

NAME
nisls - list the contents of a NIS+ directory SYNOPSIS
nisls [-dglLmMR] [name...] DESCRIPTION
For each name that is a NIS+ directory, nisls lists the contents of the directory. For each name that is a NIS+ object other than a direc- tory, nisls simply echos the name. If no name is specified, the first directory in the search path is listed. See nisdefaults(1). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Treat NIS+ directories like other NIS+ objects, rather than listing their contents. -g Display group owner instead of owner when listing in long format. -l List in long format. This option displays additional information about the objects such as their type, creation time, owner, and access rights. The access rights are listed in the following order in long mode: nobody, owner, group owner, and world. -L This option specifies that links are to be followed. If name actually points to a link, it is followed to the linked object. -m Display modification time instead of creation time when listing in long format. -M Master only. This specifies that information is to be returned from the master server of the named object. This guarantees that the most up to date information is seen at the possible expense that the master server may be busy. -R List directories recursively. This option will reiterate the list for each subdirectory found in the process of listing each name. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
NIS_PATH If this variable is set, and the NIS+ name is not fully qualified, each directory specified will be searched until the object is found. See nisdefaults(1). EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. 1 Operation failed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nisdefaults(1), nisgrpadm(1), nismatch(1), nistbladm(1), nis_objects(3NSL), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 10 Dec 2001 nisls(1)