Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers directory permissions and CHMOD Post 26297 by ncarmstrong on Wednesday 14th of August 2002 12:17:11 PM
Old 08-14-2002
Question directory permissions and CHMOD

I am working on a new UNIX box that has been delivered to us, and noticed that the /home directory has 555 permissions on it (dr-xr-xr-x). Any attempt to create write permissions fails on this directory (such as chmod 777), responding only with a message;

chmod: WARNING: can't change home

This is despite the fact that I am logged in as root. Is there a way out of this, or am I toast?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod permissions

Is there any way that you can set it up so when you create a file it has the chmod permissions of u+x? I am not a root user on the system (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: himurak
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

chmod (permissions) * not working on remote server

Hi gurus ! I am developing a FTP script which will copy all the files from one server to another server and then I need to use CHMOD 755 * to set permissions of all the files just copied to the remote server. mput * chmod 755 * CHMOD gives me an error CHMOD works fine If I specify... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdlayeeq
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what to chmod to write in a directory?

i am unable to write to some .php files in the following directory: drwxr-xr-x 3 headroom max 448 Jun 6 2004 Docs i already tried this: chmod +777 Docs chmod: changing permissions of `Docs': Operation not permitted thanks for your help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phonedog365
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod erased a directory(?)

I was attempting to change permissions on a directory, used a 'chmod -rwrwrw DirectoryName' command, and hit enter. Now, that directory shows that it's empty! How could this be? Any Ideas? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmooBG
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls and chmod numeric permissions

Hello, When I do a "ls -l" I can see my directories have drwxr-xr-xr. I am more used to the chmod numerical syntax like 755. Is there an easy way to list out the numerical permissions rather than rwx etc. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rondebbs
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix chmod permissions

Hello all, Trying to do the following. 1. Run Windows installer from a unix server. 2. Let user run the shortcut but not allow access to the folder where the exe itself is running. What I have done so far: 1. Copied the application to the server and placed in a folder called "data".... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whiterabbit
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing permissions on a 444 file (ie chmod 444)

if I have a file set to permisions 444 (r-- r-- r--) should anyone other than the owner and root be able to change these permissions or delete the file. Apologies if this is a no-brainer but I cant test it myself and someone in our organisation is playin around with files they shouldnt be (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
1 Replies

8. Programming

chmod:No such file or directory

sprintf(fname, "core.%d", pid); (void) unlink(fname); if (ttrace(TT_PROC_CORE, pid, 0, 0, 0, 0) != 0) { perror("TT_PROC_CORE pass"); Fail(); } if (chmod(fname, 0) != 0) { perror("chmod"); Fail(); } Hi, If i execute above code,everytime am getting below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansa
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

chmod only immediate directory?

I am having trouble figuring out how to do a "chmod o-w" for all files under a certain directory, while excluding directories under that certain directory. I can do chmod -R o-w /thisdirectory but that changes permissions of all directories under the directory as well as files. I just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access permissions chmod 606

Hi All I am running Ubuntu linux flavour. I need provide multiple users belonging to the same group access to a dir where they can write files but are not supposed to remove or rename files. users outside the group should be able to read and write to the dir. i have set the permission of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Simza
7 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)