Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: freebsd logs
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers freebsd logs Post 26281 by chick4 on Wednesday 14th of August 2002 10:06:59 AM
Old 08-14-2002
yess it works Smilie

i dont know how i made it but it works Smilie

thx 4 help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Logs

hi My name is Juan I dont can clear wtmp and similiar files how i do it? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtapia
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logs

can i include this command into my crontab file > /var/adm/wtmp to clear the contents on a regular basis ? what about file permissions ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD

What is FreeBSD, who does use Free? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberangel
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logs

Hey Guys, i am new into shell programming and i have to do one script which have to record all the commands entered by a specific user. Example of that, i have a system running on unix, several users are using this system, i have to create like a databse which will record every user entered that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

logs

Hy, I have a question I have a directory in a unix server, Some of my files have a diffrent access time, from the time i accessed them last, I think some one has copied it,it's not an important file,but none the less,it is my file,It mistakenly had a 777 permission( yes ,I know it is a noob's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lordmod
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep yesterday logs from weblogic logs

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would go search and get the info from the logs based on yesterday timestamp and write yesterday logs in new file. The log file format is as follows: """"""""""""""""""""""""""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish.parker
3 Replies

7. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

8. Fedora

FreeBSD

I'm using Windows mostly and the only *nix thing I used during my life was cygwin (I like command line :)). But currently I have (by an occasion) a DVD with latest FreeBSD. I don't know why, but I want to install it... But probably, this OS is too difficult for a beginner. I heard, it's used on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TeenageWerewolf
3 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

regarding logs

Hi , I am running an application on my windows and it logs are generated at /var/logs and for this i have to go this location and then do tail -f , Is there any command you can advise me so that when I execute this command at this location that logs get displayed fully and as the application... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KAREENA18
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies
syslog.conf(4)							   File Formats 						    syslog.conf(4)

NAME
syslog.conf - configuration file for syslogd system log daemon SYNOPSIS
/etc/syslog.conf DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/syslog.conf contains information used by the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), to forward a system message to appropriate log files and/or users. syslogd preprocesses this file through m4(1) to obtain the correct information for certain log files, defining LOGHOST if the address of "loghost" is the same as one of the addresses of the host that is running syslogd. A configuration entry is composed of two TAB-separated fields: selector action The selector field contains a semicolon-separated list of priority specifications of the form: facility.level [ ; facility.level ] where facility is a system facility, or comma-separated list of facilities, and level is an indication of the severity of the condition being logged. Recognized values for facility include: user Messages generated by user processes. This is the default priority for messages from programs or facilities not listed in this file. kern Messages generated by the kernel. mail The mail system. daemon System daemons, such as in.ftpd(1M) auth The authorization system: login(1), su(1M), getty(1M), among others. lpr The line printer spooling system: lpr(1B), lpc(1B), among others. news Designated for the USENET network news system. uucp Designated for the UUCP system; it does not currently use the syslog mechanism. cron Designated for cron/at messages generated by systems that do logging through syslog. The current version of the Solaris Operating Environment does not use this facility for logging. audit Designated for audit messages generated by systems that audit by means of syslog. local0-7 Designated for local use. mark For timestamp messages produced internally by syslogd. * An asterisk indicates all facilities except for the mark facility. Recognized values for level are (in descending order of severity): emerg For panic conditions that would normally be broadcast to all users. alert For conditions that should be corrected immediately, such as a corrupted system database. crit For warnings about critical conditions, such as hard device errors. err For other errors. warning For warning messages. notice For conditions that are not error conditions, but may require special handling. A configuration entry with a level value of notice must appear on a separate line. info Informational messages. debug For messages that are normally used only when debugging a program. none Do not send messages from the indicated facility to the selected file. For example, a selector of *.debug;mail.none sends all messages except mail messages to the selected file. For a given facility and level, syslogd matches all messages for that level and all higher levels. For example, an entry that specifies a level of crit also logs messages at the alert and emerg levels. The action field indicates where to forward the message. Values for this field can have one of four forms: o A filename, beginning with a leading slash, which indicates that messages specified by the selector are to be written to the specified file. The file is opened in append mode if it exists. If the file does not exist, logging silently fails for this action. o The name of a remote host, prefixed with an @, as with: @server, which indicates that messages specified by the selector are to be forwarded to the syslogd on the named host. The hostname "loghost" is treated, in the default syslog.conf, as the hostname given to the machine that logs syslogd messages. Every machine is "loghost" by default, per the hosts database. It is also possible to specify one machine on a network to be "loghost" by, literally, naming the machine "loghost". If the local machine is designated to be "loghost", then syslogd messages are written to the appropriate files. Otherwise, they are sent to the machine "loghost" on the net- work. o A comma-separated list of usernames, which indicates that messages specified by the selector are to be written to the named users if they are logged in. o An asterisk, which indicates that messages specified by the selector are to be written to all logged-in users. Blank lines are ignored. Lines for which the first nonwhite character is a '#' are treated as comments. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A Sample Configuration File With the following configuration file: *.notice /var/log/notice mail.info /var/log/notice *.crit /var/log/critical kern,mark.debug /dev/console kern.err @server *.emerg * *.alert root,operator *.alert;auth.warning /var/log/auth syslogd(1M) logs all mail system messages except debug messages and all notice (or higher) messages into a file named /var/log/notice. It logs all critical messages into /var/log/critical, and all kernel messages and 20-minute marks onto the system console. Kernel messages of err (error) severity or higher are forwarded to the machine named server. Emergency messages are forwarded to all users. The users root and operator are informed of any alert messages. All messages from the authorization system of warning level or higher are logged in the file /var/log/auth. FILES
/var/log/notice log of all mail system messages (except debug messages) and all messages of notice level or higher /var/log/critical log of all critical messages /var/log/auth log of all messages from the authorization system of warning level or higher ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), logger(1), login(1), lp(1), lpc(1B), lpr(1B), m4(1), cron(1M), getty(1M), in.ftpd(1M), su(1M), syslogd(1M), syslog(3C), hosts(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 28 Jul 2004 syslog.conf(4)