Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup Strategies
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Backup Strategies Post 26100 by xiamin on Monday 12th of August 2002 04:22:16 AM
Old 08-12-2002
Hi Optimus

Thank you very much for your answer.I would be implementing this Backup startegy very soon.

regards
Hrishy

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

questions about configuration & backup strategies

In our lab we are in the process of reevaluating the overall setup of our Sun workstations. I'd like to get the opinions of other system administrators on some general strategic questions: 1. If the goal is to try to guarantee identical functioning of all workstations within the lab, which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eje4
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

3. SCO

Backup to SCSI Tape Backup aborts

I am trying to make a full backup of my system using the cpio command. The Tape Unit is a SCSI DDS. The process started fine but after about 30 minutes, it just stopped and showed the following message: 1755 Signal 31 - Core dumped Any idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionpc
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

backup a file and keep every version of the backup

I am trying to backup my .bash_history and I want to keep every version of the backup. I am thinking to put one of these in my crontab. 0 0 * * 0,3 cat .bash_history > boo 0 0 * * 0,3 cp .bash_history boo I would like the backups to be called boo1, boo2, boo3, etc. I would like to keep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[stdin / stdout] Strategies for redirecting outputs

Well.. let's say i need to write a pretty simple script. In my script i have 2 variables which can have value of 0 or 1. $VERBOSE $LOG I need to implement these cases: ($VERBOSE = 0 && $LOG = 0) => ONLY ERROR output (STDERR to console && STDOUT to /dev/null) ($VERBOSE = 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marmz
5 Replies
BACKUPLOG(5)							AFS File Reference						      BACKUPLOG(5)

NAME
       BackupLog - Traces Backup Server operations

DESCRIPTION
       The BackupLog file records a trace of Backup Server (buserver process) operations on the local machine and describes any error conditions
       it encounters.

If the BackupLog file does not already exist in the /var/log/openafs directory when the Backup Server starts, the server process creates it
       and writes initial start-up messages to it. If there is an existing file, the Backup Server renames it to BackupLog.old, overwriting the
       existing BackupLog.old file if it exists.

The file is in ASCII format. Administrators listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file can use the bos getlog command to display its
       contents. Alternatively, log on to the machine and use a text editor or a file display command such as the UNIX cat command. By default,
       the mode bits on the BackupLog file grant the required "r" (read) permission to all users.

The Backup Server records operations only as it completes them, and so cannot recover from failures by reviewing the file. The log contents
       are useful for administrative evaluation of process failures and other problems.

SEE ALSO
       UserList(5), bos_getlog(8), buserver(8)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26							      BACKUPLOG(5)