Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Basic Command
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Answers to Frequently Asked Questions Tips and Tutorials Unix Basic Command Post 26076 by praveenk on Sunday 11th of August 2002 12:31:20 PM
Old 08-11-2002
Good Work!!

It would be a good idea if Site administrators start a new thread for consolidated Basic Commands!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Unix tools

I like to know the bare minimum development/ testing tools which can be used with Unix environment wherein the applications are written in different combination - C++ COBOL.. I like to know list of development, performance, testing tools that can be used in Unix . Thanks in advance ls1429 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ls1429
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic unix

okay, im having some trouble. Go ahead, call me a retard, but i keep getting stuck. Suppose i want to open a Picture of Jesus(for the sake of simplicity) using unix. I type: open Desktop/Pictures/Jesus.jpg It opens, and its all well and good. But, suppose i want to open a picture called Joe... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HipCracka
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic unix file command!

Hi there, I am looking to create a single file called outputa.txt, which will show the contents of my directorya and its sub directories, and all file and directory permissions. What command would be used for this? Cheers Kev (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kev112
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix basic help

What command would I use to list the first lines of all text files within my Unix directory or within any directory inside there? I was using "find" , "head" and "-exec" commands like this: find ~/Unix -name "*.txt" -exec head {} \; But its not perfectly working, please help me.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carrera911
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Basic Unix installation help

Hi, I am a novice in Unix installation. Was experimenting with it. During installation, i created 2 partitions ( what i am calling ). One for the OS which was named SOLARIS & other was named PRI_DOS. Now on completion of installation, where has my PRI_DOS portion gone. How do i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic unix command help plz

I was wondering what command lines i could use to do the following. 1. mail a file to a user with a subject line "HELLO". Also, send a Blind carbon copy to a different user? 2. Display the number of files AND directories in a given directory? 3. Display the last 5 files in a given... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tragic54
4 Replies

7. Solaris

basic unix question

Hello, I'm new to solaris and have an experience with linux. When we see network interface I can see qfe, hme, le0. What is that mean? Is it depend on the network card? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
11 Replies

8. Solaris

Basic FAQS in unix

can any body tell me this followings in details when do we use this & in which senario we most use this 1.GSD raising 2.MOSFET checks 3.Audit remedation 4.KBS fixes thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wkbn86
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Unix cp command help

I am new to unix so this is probably a pretty basic question. I am trying to write several commands on one line that creates a directory called bf in the current directory, then copy all files within that directory and any subdirectories, that do not start with the letter c to the new bf folder.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty85
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic doubt in UNIX

Hi, I'm new to this and very much interested to learn unix. Can any one explain me the symbols y we use this is scripting(~ and $). It would be great if some one explain with the eg. Thanks Naveen A (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranaveen
2 Replies
PTHREAD_WORKQUEUE(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 				      PTHREAD_WORKQUEUE(3)

NAME
pthread_workqueue_init_np, pthread_workqueue_create_np, pthread_workqueue_additem_np -- thread workqueue operations pthread_workqueue_attr_init_np, pthread_workqueue_attr_destroy_np, pthread_workqueue_attr_getovercommit_np, pthread_workqueue_attr_setovercommit_np, pthread_workqueue_attr_getqueuepriority_np, pthread_workqueue_attr_setqueuepriority_np -- thread workqueue attribute operations SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread_workqueue.h> int pthread_workqueue_init_np(void); int pthread_workqueue_create_np(pthread_workqueue_t *workqp, const pthread_workqueue_attr_t * attr); int pthread_workqueue_additem_np(pthread_workqueue_t workq, void ( *workitem_func)(void *), void * workitem_arg, pthread_workitem_handle_t * itemhandlep, unsigned int *gencountp); int pthread_workqueue_attr_init_np(pthread_workqueue_attr_t *attr); int pthread_workqueue_attr_destroy_np(pthread_workqueue_attr_t *attr); int pthread_workqueue_attr_getovercommit_np(pthread_workqueue_attr_t *attr, int *ocommp); int pthread_workqueue_attr_setovercommit_np(pthread_workqueue_attr_t *attr, int ocomm); int pthread_workqueue_attr_getqueuepriority_np(pthread_workqueue_attr_t *attr, int *qpriop); int pthread_workqueue_attr_setqueuepriority_np(pthread_workqueue_attr_t *attr, int qprio); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_workqueue_*_np() functions are used to create and submit work items to a thread pool. The user may create multiple work queues of different priority and manually overcommit the available resources. pthread_workqueue_init_np() allocates and initializes the thread workqueue subsystem. pthread_workqueue_create_np() creates a new thread workqueue with the attributes given by attr. If attr is NULL then the default attributes are used. A workqueue handle is returned in the workqp parameter. Thread workqueue attributes are used to specify parameters to pthread_workqueue_create_np(). One attribute object can be used in multiple calls to pthread_workqueue_create_np(), with or without modifications between calls. pthread_workqueue_additem_np() is used to submit work items to the thread pool specified by workq parameter. The work item function and function argument are given by workitem_func and workitem_arg. The work item handle is returned in itemhandlep. The pthread_workqueue_attr_init_np() function initializes attr with all the default thread workqueue attributes. The pthread_workqueue_attr_destroy_np() function destroys attr. The pthread_workqueue_attr_set*_np() functions set the attribute that corresponds to each function name. pthread_workqueue_attr_setovercommit_np() can be used to set the overcommit flag. If the overcommit flag is set then more threads will be started, if needed, which may overcommit the physical resources of the system. pthread_workqueue_attr_setqueuepriority_np() sets the queue priority attribute of the thread work queue and must be set to one of the following values: WORKQ_HIGH_PRIOQUEUE Work items in the queue with this attribute will be given higher priority by the thread scheduler. WORKQ_DEFAULT_PRIOQUEUE Work items in the queue with this attribute are given the default priority. WORKQ_LOW_PRIOQUEUE Work items in the queue with this attribute will be given lower priority by the thread scheduler. The pthread_workqueue_attr_get*_np() functions copy the value of the attribute that corresponds to each function name to the location pointed to by the second function parameter. RETURN VALUES
If successful, these functions return 0. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
The pthread_workqueue_init_np() function will fail if: [ENOMEM] Out of memory. The pthread_workqueue_create_np() function will fail if: [ENOMEM] Out of memory. The pthread_workqueue_additem_np() function will fail if: [EINVAL] Invalid workqueue handle. [ENOMEM] Out of memory. [ESRCH] Can not find workqueue. The pthread_workqueue_attr_init_np() function will fail if: [ENOMEM] Out of memory. The pthread_workqueue_attr_destroy_np() function will fail if: [EINVAL] Invalid value for attr. The pthread_workqueue_attr_setqueuepriority_np() function will fail if: [EINVAL] Invalid value for attr or for qprio. The pthread_workqueue_attr_setovercommit_np(), pthread_workqueue_attr_getovercommit_np() and pthread_workqueue_attr_getqueuepriority_np() functions will fail if: [EINVAL] Invalid value for attr. SEE ALSO
pthread(3), sysctl(3) BUGS
There is no way, currently, to remove or destory work queues and pending work items other than exiting the process. All worker threads run at the same thread priority; however, items placed on high-priority workqueues will be executed before those on lower- priority workqueues. HISTORY
This thread workqueues code was created to support Grand Central Dispatch (GCD or libdispatch) and first appeared in FreeBSD 8.0. AUTHORS
Mark Heily <mark@heily.com>. Based on earlier work by Stacey Son <sson@FreeBSD.org> and Apple, Inc. BSD
December 12, 2009 BSD