Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Booting Slackware 8.1
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Booting Slackware 8.1 Post 26072 by J.P on Sunday 11th of August 2002 09:11:45 AM
Old 08-11-2002
I'll try answering these questions but I don't consider myself an expert user, rather an intermediate, so don't trust me blindly Smilie

1) There's obvously a problem in how you've setup your partitions...

Quote:
with this df does this means my linux extended hda2 is not even being used?? its 400mb and I would like to put it to good use.
First, your hda5 is a logical partition which resides WITHIN hda2, an extended partition. But somehow your logical partition is bigger than your extended...
It's like putting eight apples inside a box which can only hold three Smilie
A more correct use of an extended partition might look like this example:
hda2 10 GB Extended
hda5 2 GB Linux
hda6 5 GB Linux
hda7 3 GB Linux

2GB + 5GB + 3GB = 10GB

You don't use 2+5+3+10=20GB of your hard drive, only 10GB.

Second of all, you only need to make you root partition (/) bootable. In your case that's hda5, and not hda2 or the hda1 (swap) partition.

This may be why LILO freaks out.

Quote:
boot = /dev/hda (I had hda5 here but that didn't work either)
Yes, it should be /dev/hda

Quote:
image=/dd/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2
label=2.4.2
root=current
append="reboot=warm"
Is the location of your kernel image really in the /dd/boot/ directory ?

Quote:
Ohh yeah one last thing. The motd file how do I make it so it doesn't reset itself on bootup?!?!
Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.S . Look for something along this line:

echo "..." > /etc/motd

Delete the text inside the quotes and change it whatever you want. Alternatively delete the whole line itself and edit the motd-file. That way it will not change the contents of /etc/motd upon reboot.

If I were you I would do a reinstall, it seems like things got pretty messed right from the beginning. Smilie

Good luck

/J.P

Last edited by J.P; 08-11-2002 at 10:18 AM..

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Slackware

DNS on Slackware

Hi. I'm glad join the unix.com forums. Here is my first problem: I've installed Slackware 13 on my PC and configured the IP, Mask and the default gateway. But now I cannot edit the resolv.conf correctly. Can you give me an example with DNS servers like 4.4.4.2 ; 4.4.4.4 ; 8.8.4.4 and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: intelfan
1 Replies

2. Slackware

Slackware

I want to know more about the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware, i know already the Concurrency but i want to know further what else is the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware. :cool: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: green12
1 Replies

3. Slackware

Slackware 13.

Hello everyone. I am a newbie in operating systems. so far I've been playing with Ubuntu and I like it a lot. I heard about Slackware and I wanna try it. Last night I download the iso but It didn't fit in my usb or Dvd. it is a 4.2 GB. Is there one less than 4.2GB that will fit in my usb or DVD? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: openation1
1 Replies