Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers tar backup with excluding some folders Post 26014 by Perderabo on Friday 9th of August 2002 08:19:32 AM
Old 08-09-2002
Try using specific paths in the exc file.
./sql
./usr/sql
or whatever.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

excluding directories while using tar

How do I exclude some directories while creating a tar file with a number of directories? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uchachra
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

excluding directories in tar

In a bash script I am writing I am having a problem excluding selected directories from tar. From the machine $SERVER I issue the command #start netcat on storage server gnetcat -l -vv -p 2011 >$FILEPATH/$SHORT_NAME.$today.tar & The the following command is then sent to the $CLIENT. #start... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumper
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating tar excluding links

hi, How do i create a tar file of a directory excluding the links in that particular directory and its sub-directories. The below command doesnt work for me. tar -cvf abc.tar /dir1 --exclude"^l" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yesmani
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copy Structure excluding some folders

Hi I want to copy the structure from one place to another. -> cd /hol/; -> find . -type d | cpio -pvdm /abc/cat; while copying the structure I want to exclude some directories like test1 and Test. I have read somewhere that this can be done with -prune option. Could anyone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soumodeep123
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Excluding a file from tar...

The title is not as easy as it sounds.... I am trying to exclude and file while ssh and untaring the file on the fly. The command I am using is... The command typically works but recently I've add the X option along with the exclude file. Essentially, the exclude file is being ignored when run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lwif
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Excluding file from tar

Hello i am using HP-UX rapdb2 B.11.23 U ia64 1068321383 unlimited-user license. I am tryiyng to exclude for tar all files that start with TOT* but i doues not work I am using: tar -cvf /ODS/prepaid/CDR_FLOW/WORK/backup.tar --exclude='TOT*' and i get the error: tar: cannot stat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding files in unix and excluding certain folders

hi good day I am using redhat linux. Is there a better utility than the 'find' command to search for files I am trying to search through and enitre directory such as /repos for a files that have 'UAP' in it. However there are some '.step' folders littered throughout the /repos folder at varying... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnstrong
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copying excluding some files and folders

I have a main folder. Inside that i have many(50) subfolders. In each subfolder, there are a no of large files(500 files ) present. I want to do copy operation for some files from some of the subfolders to /usr/tmp. I have the list of the subfolders and list of of files which i dont want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
4 Replies

10. AIX

Excluding directory in my tar Backup

Hello AIX experts. Hope this topic finds you well :) Now, I will take a backup for a directory called medcbs. Inside this directory 1 subdirectory I don't want to include it in the backup. So, how to exclude it? To be more clear, take a look to the following: /bossapp1/medcbs>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
4 Replies
DELUSER(8)						      System Manager's Manual							DELUSER(8)

NAME
deluser, delgroup - remove a user or group from the system SYNOPSIS
deluser [options] [--force] [--remove-home] [--remove-all-files] [--backup] [--backup-to DIR] user deluser --group [options] group delgroup [options] [--only-if-empty] group deluser [options] user group COMMON OPTIONS [--quiet] [--system] [--help] [--version] [--conf FILE] DESCRIPTION
deluser and delgroup remove users and groups from the system according to command line options and configuration information in /etc/deluser.conf and /etc/adduser.conf. They are friendlier front ends to the userdel and groupdel programs, removing the home directory as option or even all files on the system owned by the user to be removed, running a custom script, and other features. deluser and del- group can be run in one of three modes: Remove a normal user If called with one non-option argument and without the --group option, deluser will remove a normal user. By default, deluser will remove the user without removing the home directory, the mail spool or any other files on the system owned by the user. Removing the home directory and mail spool can be achieved using the --remove-home option. The --remove-all-files option removes all files on the system owned by the user. Note that if you activate both options --remove-home will have no effect because all files including the home directory and mail spool are already covered by the --remove-all-files option. If you want to backup all files before deleting them you can activate the --backup option which will create a file username.tar(.gz|.bz2) in the directory specified by the --backup-to option (defaulting to the current working directory). Both the remove and backup options can also be activated for default in the configuration file /etc/deluser.conf. See deluser.conf(5) for details. If you want to remove the root account (uid 0), then use the --force parameter; this may prevent to remove the root user by accident. If the file /usr/local/sbin/deluser.local exists, it will be executed after the user account has been removed in order to do any local cleanup. The arguments passed to deluser.local are: username uid gid home-directory Remove a group If deluser is called with the --group option, or delgroup is called, a group will be removed. Warning: The primary group of an existing user cannot be removed. If the option --only-if-empty is given, the group won't be removed if it has any members left. Remove a user from a specific group If called with two non-option arguments, deluser will remove a user from a specific group. OPTIONS
--conf FILE Use FILE instead of the default files /etc/deluser.conf and /etc/adduser.conf --group Remove a group. This is the default action if the program is invoked as delgroup. --help Display brief instructions. --quiet Suppress progress messages. --system Only delete if user/group is a system user/group. This avoids accidentally deleting non-system users/groups. Additionally, if the user does not exist, no error value is returned. This option is mainly for use in Debian package maintainer scripts. --backup Backup all files contained in the userhome and the mailspool-file to a file named /$user.tar.bz2 or /$user.tar.gz. --backup-to Place the backup files not in / but in the directory specified by this parameter. This implicitly sets --backup also. --remove-home Remove the home directory of the user and its mailspool. If --backup is specified, the files are deleted after having performed the backup. --remove-all-files Remove all files from the system owned by this user. Note: --remove-home does not have an effect any more. If --backup is specified, the files are deleted after having performed the backup. --version Display version and copyright information. RETURN VALUE
0 The action was successfully executed. 1 The user to delete was not a system account. No action was performed. 2 There is no such user. No action was performed. 3 There is no such group. No action was performed. 4 Internal error. No action was performed. 5 The group to delete is not empty. No action was performed. 6 The user does not belong to the specified group. No action was performed. 7 You cannot remove a user from its primary group. No action was performed. 8 The required perl-package 'perl modules' is not installed. This package is required to perform the requested actions. No action was performed. 9 For removing the root account the parameter "--force" is required. No action was performed. FILES
/etc/deluser.conf SEE ALSO
deluser.conf(5), adduser(8), userdel(8), groupdel(8) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000 Roland Bauerschmidt. Modifications (C) 2004 Marc Haber and Joerg Hoh. This manpage and the deluser program are based on adduser which is: Copyright (C) 1997, 1998, 1999 Guy Maor. Copyright (C) 1995 Ted Hajek, with a great deal borrowed from the original Debian adduser Copyright (C) 1994 Ian Murdock. deluser is free software; see the GNU General Public Licence version 2 or later for copying conditions. There is no warranty. Debian GNU/Linux Version 3.113+nmu3 DELUSER(8)