Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mac OS X
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mac OS X Post 25827 by John Philip on Tuesday 6th of August 2002 09:42:26 AM
Old 08-06-2002
Re: Hi Fleno

Quote:
Originally posted by John Philip

Would you mind spending a few minutes giving me:

The OS version?
What kinda network (Copper, 100Mbit, Giga ?)
If you have one Network-unit supplier (Cisco, Allied ?) Could you give me their name ?
Thanx in advance

John Philip
I feel I owe 'The Forum' an update:
My customer lives with the 1-3 times a day server breakdowns.
As he is an optimistic fellow, he has decided to exchange his present OS X Server with an Apple X-serve.
This product will arrive here (probably) end this week.
We will do as much 'laboratory testing' as possible here - and then proceed to set it up at his location - probably end this month.
Hopefully the X-serve will behave itself...
Anyway, we will configure and set it up only with Apple equipment and according to Apple's spec's - so if a/several problems should arise, there will only be one supplier to discuss it with - but hopefully not.

As an addendum to the story: The first G4 set up as OSX server and having all the problems, I have described so far, was taken 'home' by my company.
We then had our Autorized Apple Repair facilities to check the hardware out - without finding anything wrong.
We sold it to a 'consultant' that reformatted it totally, stuck in a new Adaptec board and a fresh set of disks - updated everything - and lo and behold - he has just reported back that the server mysteriously goes down 5-6 times a day...

Kind regards

John Philip
DK

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. OS X (Apple)

Let's get a .mac top level domain! As in www.xyz.mac

ICANN, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, is inviting proposals for new sponsored top level domains. This may be wishful thinking, but isn't that a chance to push for a .mac top level domain (TLD)? I for one would VASTLY like the idea of having a domain of something.mac --... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
0 Replies
Appender::Socket(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Appender::Socket(3pm)

NAME
Log::Log4perl::Appender::Socket - Log to a socket SYNOPSIS
use Log::Log4perl::Appender::Socket; my $appender = Log::Log4perl::Appender::Socket->new( PeerAddr => "server.foo.com", PeerPort => 1234, ); $appender->log(message => "Log me "); DESCRIPTION
This is a simple appender for writing to a socket. It relies on IO::Socket::INET and offers all parameters this module offers. Upon destruction of the object, pending messages will be flushed and the socket will be closed. If the appender cannot contact the server during the initialization phase (while running the constructor "new"), it will "die()". If the appender fails to log a message because the socket's "send()" method fails (most likely because the server went down), it will try to reconnect once. If it succeeds, the message will be sent. If the reconnect fails, a warning is sent to STDERR and the "log()" method returns, discarding the message. If the option "silent_recovery" is given to the constructor and set to a true value, the behaviour is different: If the socket connection can't be established at initialization time, a single warning is issued. Every log attempt will then try to establish the connection and discard the message silently if it fails. If you don't even want the warning, set the "no_warning" option to a true value. Connecting at initialization time may not be the best option when running under Apache1 Apache2/prefork, because the parent process creates the socket and the connections are shared among the forked children--all the children writing to the same socket could intermingle messages. So instead of that, you can use "defer_connection" which will put off making the connection until the first log message is sent. EXAMPLE
Write a server quickly using the IO::Socket::INET module: use IO::Socket::INET; my $sock = IO::Socket::INET->new( Listen => 5, LocalAddr => 'localhost', LocalPort => 12345, Proto => 'tcp'); while(my $client = $sock->accept()) { print "Client connected "; while(<$client>) { print "$_ "; } } Start it and then run the following script as a client: use Log::Log4perl qw(:easy); my $conf = q{ log4perl.category = WARN, Socket log4perl.appender.Socket = Log::Log4perl::Appender::Socket log4perl.appender.Socket.PeerAddr = localhost log4perl.appender.Socket.PeerPort = 12345 log4perl.appender.Socket.layout = SimpleLayout }; Log::Log4perl->init($conf); sleep(2); for(1..10) { ERROR("Quack!"); sleep(5); } COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2002-2009 by Mike Schilli <m@perlmeister.com> and Kevin Goess <cpan@goess.org>. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-07-21 Appender::Socket(3pm)