Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mounting advfs in single-user mode Post 25791 by gmoyano on Monday 5th of August 2002 07:57:10 PM
Old 08-05-2002
Data Mounting advfs in single-user mode

Hi!

I am trying to mount a file system (advfs) in single-user mode. The goal is to make a vdump of the partition
The command I am using is:
mount -t advfs domain#gaston /usr/local/gaston

But appears the following error:
No such domain, file....

Any help?

Thanks in advance

Gaston

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode

Hi all, why "vi" acts differently is single user mode? Does anyone help ? I am using "x" to delete and it keeps messing up. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Single user mode

Hi all, Well back at work and back to crashing systems again :-) Does anyone know where I can find some decent information on single user mode? I need to be able to fix a few things. Don't know if it's possible in single user mode but I need to fix the "etc/vfstab" mainly I re-wrote it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single-user mode

how do you boot into single user mode? RedHat 7.1 Caldera 2.4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorro81
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

Is there another way of switching to single user mode except by typing /usr/sbin/shutdown 0 ??? :rolleyes: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

How to diable the single user mode.. what i want is dat my users are unable to boot in single user mode via GRUB.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankit.jss
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to Single user mode?

How to enter single user mode when UNIX/LINUX system is starting? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gkreddy
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

8. Solaris

No mounting in single user mode

Hey all! I recently aquired a Sun V210 running Solaris 10. I got past the firmware password, and now I'm trying to get past the root password. I booted directly into single user mode from the ok prompt "boot cdrom -s" Once in.. every time I try to mount the harddrive "mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Single user mode

Hi all I am new on sun OS. I have have little experience on linux. The Story start from this point: I want to put some script on start-up the terminal, but I cant do that. my shell was sh and I tried so much to find way to do that. at last someone said to me change your shell to bash. I ask how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahim_T
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Single user mode

Dear All I am trying to install my os as : ok>boot cdrom - install but receiving the following : "IDprom checksum error getexecname() failed /sbin/rcS /etc/vfstab cannot create INIT:failed write utmpx enrty INIT:single user mode INIT:execle of /etc/sulogin failed Enter run level" Can you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies
vsbmpg(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 vsbmpg(8)

NAME
vsbmpg - Display a page from a Storage Bitmap (SBM) file SYNOPSIS
/sbin/advfs/vsbmpg [-v] sbm_id | domain_id /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg sbm_id page [entry] /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg sbm_id -a /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg sbm_id -i index /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg sbm_id -B block /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg volume_id -b block /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg volume_id -d dump_file OPTIONS
Display all the pages of the SBM file. Display the portion of the SMB that maps the specified block. Specifies a starting block for the part of an AdvFS volume that you want to format as an SBM page. Specifies the name of a file that contains the output of this utility. Display the SBM word specified by the index. Check the checksum on each page of the SBM. OPERANDS
Specifies an SMB file using the following format: The dump_file parameter is a previously-saved copy of the fileset's SBM file. You can use the -F option to force the utility to interpret the dump_file parameter as a file name if it has the same name as a domain name. Spec- ifies an AdvFS file domain using the following format: By default, the utility opens all volumes using block device special files. Specify the -r option to operate on the raw device (character device special file) of the domain instead of the block device. Specify the [-D] option to force the utility to interpret the name you supply in the domain argument as a domain name. Specifies an AdvFS volume using the following format: Specify the -V option to force the utility to interpret the name you supply in the volume argument as a volume name. The volume name argument also can be a full or partial path name, for example /dev/disk/dsk12a or dsk12a. Specifying a partial path name always opens the character device special file. Alternatively, specify the volume by using arguments for its domain, domain_id, and its volume index number, volume_index. Speci- fies the file page number of the SBM file. Specifies the index of the SBM word on the page. DESCRIPTION
Storage Bitmaps (SBMs) are used by the AdvFS to track free and allocated disk space of AdvFS volumes. Each volume in an AdvFS domain has one SBM file. The vsbmpg utility displays pages of a SBM file. SBM Page Summaries When you specify just a domain_id or a volume_id, a summary of the SBMs for the domain or volume is displayed. Displaying an SBM File Page The utility can display a whole page of map entries or one particular map entry on a page. The utility also can display the entire SBM. For example, to display page 5 of the SBM on volume 2 of domain dmn, enter the following command: # /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg dmn 2 5 To display page 5 of the SBM on volume /dev/disk/dsk5c, enter the following command: # /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg dsk5c 5 To display the entire SBM, from page zero to the last page, use the -a option in a command similar to the following: # /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg /dev/disk/dsk5c -a Displaying One SBM Entry To use the utility to examine just one SBM map entry, use the -i option. The following example shows how to display index 456 from /dev/disk/dsk5a: # /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg dsk5a -i 456 To use the utility to examine just one SBM map entry on a page, enter the volume, page and entry. The following example shows how to dis- play SBM map entry 7 from page 3 of /dev/disk/dsk5a: # /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg dsk5a 3 7 To use the utility to determine whether a block on a volume is in use, employ the -B option. The following example shows how to display block 987 on volume 3 of domain dmn and options the bit that contains the requested block with a caret (^) character: # /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg dmn 3 - 987 Displaying Corrupted Volumes When volumes in a domain are corrupted, you can display pages from them, formatting them as SBM pages. For example, to display block 96 on disk rz2b formatted as a SBM page, enter the following command: # /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg rz2b -b 96 You can also attempt to display a disk block on a volume of a domain, by specifying the domain name and the volume index, although it may not display if the BMT for the volume is corrupt. For example, to attempt to display block 96 of volume 2 in a domain named domain_1, enter the following command: # /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg domain_1 2 -b 96 Saving or Displaying an SBM File The utility can read an SBM file and dump it to a file for later examination. For example to extract and save the SBM file from the first AdvFS volume in domain_1 to a file named save_file in the current working directory, enter the following command: # /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg domain_1 1 -d save_file Subsequently, to view page 4 of the file saved in the previous example, enter the following command: # /sbin/advfs/vsbmpg save_file 4 NOTES
An active domain, which is a domain with one or more of its filesets mounted, has all of its volumes opened using block device special files. These devices cannot be opened a second time without first being unmounted. However, the character device special files for the volumes can be opened more than once while still mounted. It can be misleading to use this utility on a domain with mounted filesets because the utility does not synchronize its read requests with AdvFS file domain read and write requests. For example, the AdvFS can be writing to the disk as the utility is reading from the disk. Therefore, when you run the utility, metadata may not have been flushed in time for the utility to read it and consecutive reads of the same file page may return unpredictable or con- tradictory results. [The domain is not harmed.] To avoid this problem, unmount all the fileset in the domain before using this utility. RESTRICTIONS
The utility can fail to open a block device, even when there are no filesets mounted for the domain and the AdvFS daemon, advfsd is run- ning. The daemon, as it runs, activates the domain for a brief time. If the vsbmpg utility fails in this situation, run it again. You must be the root user to use this command. EXIT STATUS
The utility returns a 0 (zero) on success, otherwise it returns a nonzero value and an error diagnostic. FILES
Specifies the command path. Specifies the volumes in the domain. SEE ALSO
Commands: vfilepg(8), nvfragpg(8), nvlogpg(8), nvtagpg(8), vbmtpg(8) vsbmpg(8)