Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I want to build a script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I want to build a script Post 25562 by kjd on Wednesday 31st of July 2002 09:21:08 PM
Old 07-31-2002
perl -pi -e

The -i option in Perl will edit the specified file "in place", so you don't have to mess with moving files around.

% echo "eat food" >> test.txt
% echo "eat more food" >> test2.txt
% perl -pi -e 's/food/pie/g' *
% cat test.txt
eat pie
% cat test2.txt
eat more pie

-i takes an optional argument. If specified, a backup will be saved with the argument as the file's extension.

% perl -pi'.bak' -e 's/pie/chicken/g' *
% ls
test.txt test.txt.bak test2.txt test2.txt.bak
% cat test.txt
eat chicken
% cat test.txt.bak
eat pie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to build a script

I have file which has "A" character in more than 1000 lines and I want replace this "A" with "f". There is also "A" which I don't want to replace at the last line. Currently, I use this script to replace them one by one :g/A/s//f/g Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mewalter
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Build

I have a 3 status option 1 , 4 , 6 1 - Active 4 - Temp.. 6 - Deactive I want to build a script which when it finds either of the status options (1,4,6), then returns the relevant string. txs :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mewalter
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Build script for all shells

Hi, I made a build script for the product I am working on. The script was made in the /bin/sh shell. My first line in the script (after the #! /bin/sh and following # lines ) were, if ; then /bin/sh fi; It works well with my sh shell. I run the script as sh build.sh Now I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to build a string in shell script

Hi all, I had a typical problem. I am using a parameter PK="PK1 PK2 PK3" i need to build the string a.PK1=b.PK1 and a.PK2=b.PK2 and a.PK3=b.PK3 Please help (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkosaraju
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

autoresolving 'native' in build script

Greets. I have a build system that comprises of one parent script and about 150 children to build Gnome. I have a file that is sourced at the top of every script to gather variables needed for the build. In this variables file, CFLAGS are set. What I would like to do is do a quick check... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madpenguin
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to build a command in a script

Hi All I am trying to build a script that will take data from a tab separated file and use that to split up a quicktime file. So far the code is as follows #!/bin/sh #test parsing of data #fix excel file output returns cat $1 | tr "\r" "\n" > $1.fix printf "\n" >> $1.fix mv $1.fix $1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babajuma
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Not working as per its build

Can someone take a look into script, where and what is going wrong in this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baraghun
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding SDK Build on Kernel Source Build

Hi, So I downloaded this kernel source and was able to build it successfully. But I want to add this SDK source code inside, can anyone help me how to do this? Note that the SDK source can be built by itself. I added the SDK in the main Makefile: init-y := init/ #added SDK... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Build.xml invocation by Build Script

Hi I have a build.xml file and I can run it on Windows via cmd. Now I want to write a script to invoke the same. Is there a way to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankur328
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sqlite query to build script...

Okay, so this one is a bit above my knowledge level so I'm hoping for some pointers. Here's the scenario: I have a backup system on my network that makes single file images of the machines it's backing up and uses an sqlite database to keep track of everything. As is pretty typical with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NyxPDX
2 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)