Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Red Hat and LILO
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Red Hat and LILO Post 2549 by mib on Sunday 20th of May 2001 02:13:05 AM
Old 05-20-2001
From Linux you can uninstall LILO:
/sbin/lilo -u
-u device-name Uninstall LILO, by copying the saved boot sector back. man lilo for more info

If you have already deleted linux parttion use:
"fdisk /MBR" from your dos partition. This gets rid of LILO, and puts in Windows boot stuff.

Also a reinstall of Windows will erase your LILO in MBR.

HTH

[Edited by mib on 05-20-2001 at 02:15 AM]

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red Hat 7.2.....

I just installed red hat 7.2 on my laptop. it's dual booted with xp and red hat. when i boot in to linux it boots up to the screen to ask me my name and pass....i put in root and my password. after this it goes to a blue screen and sits there. the after about 2 minutes it comes up with a fatal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muzscman
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LiLo in Red Hat 8

I am about to go buy myself a wireless card for my Red Hat laptop. But I am going to have to recompile the kernel to run it in linux, and I heard that the GRUB bootloader gives you troubles when recompiling kernel. So, I booted off the cd to upgrade. I attempted to install LiLo and everything... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: djtrippin
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Red Hat 9.0 Upgrade

I just upgraded my RedHat 8.0 system to 9.0. The upgrade included a new kernel and several package updates. I upgraded by simply inserting installation CD and rebooted, selected upgrade system option. When I rebooted after the install I get the following message: INIT:Id "x" respawning too fast:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
6 Replies

4. Linux

Red Hat?

I have a Red Hat upgrade disk. I installed it and it corrupted my entire hard drive! I had gotten the disks out of a Dummy's book at my local library. Trying to install 'Red Hat', has cost me $100.00 in damages. (The cool part is my friend gave me that $100.00 part) Ah...A 120gig Hard Drive. Just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdk_mkr
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red Hat 9 help

please help me how to install softwares in linux.i have a ethernet internet connection.i try to open the site on LAN to download internet client.but i cannot as our lan supports only internet explorer....i downloaded the linux client by booting thru XP......but i cannot c my NTFS partition thru... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shobhit143
0 Replies

6. Linux

red hat ee 2.6.9-42

hello. I would be greatfull if someone could tell me how will i see what dns server and gateway my red hat server uses. I tryied to find out by typing ifconfig command but i got : -bash: ifconfig: command not found , although man ifonconfig gives output with info about using that command. Is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Red Hat E 3

I'm am working with a Red Hat Enterprise 3 server. This is a dedicated server that is supposedly dedicated to one domain, but I have been tasked with trying to figure out if there are files on this system that are being accessed by other IP's. Does anyone know if how I would go about finding... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisPlusPlus
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Red-hat

Hello, How do I see what IP addresses are connected to my machine? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonomao
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ?

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
2 Replies
LILO(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   LILO(8)

NAME
lilo - install boot loader SYNOPSIS
Main function: /sbin/lilo - install boot loader Auxiliary uses: /sbin/lilo -q - query map /sbin/lilo -R - set default command line for next reboot /sbin/lilo -I - inquire path name of current kernel /sbin/lilo {-u|-U} - uninstall lilo DESCRIPTION
lilo installs a boot loader that will be activated next time you boot. It has lots of options. -v Increase verbosity. Giving one or more -v options will make lilo more verbose. -q List the currently mapped files. lilo maintains a file, by default /boot/map, containing the name and location of the kernel(s) to boot. This option will list the names therein. -m map-file Use specified map file instead of the default. -C config-file lilo reads its instructions about what files to map from its config file, by default /etc/lilo.conf. This option can be used to specify a non-default config file. -d delay If you have specified several kernels, and press Shift at boot-time, the boot loader will present you with a choice of which system to boot. After a timeout period the first kernel in the list is booted. This option specifies the timeout delay in deciseconds. -D label Use the kernel with the given label, instead of the first one in the list, as the default kernel to boot. -r root-directory Before doing anything else, do a chroot to the indicated directory. Used for repairing a setup from a boot floppy. -t Test only. Do not really write a new boot sector or map file. Use together with -v to find out what lilo is about to do. -c Enable map compaction. This will merge read requests from adjacent sectors. Speeds up the booting (especially from floppy). -f disk-tab Specify disk geometry parameter file. (The default is /etc/disktab.) -i boot-sector Specify a file to be used as the new boot sector. (The default is /boot/boot.b.) -l Generate linear sector addresses instead of sector/head/cylinder addresses. -L Generate 32-bit Logical Block Addresses instead of C:H:S addresses, allowing access to all partitions on disks greater than 8.4Gb. -P {fix|ignore} Fix (or ignore) `corrupt' partition tables, i.e., partition tables with linear and sector/head/cylinder addresses that do not corre- spond. -s save-file When lilo overwrites the boot sector, it preserves the old contents in a file, by default /boot/boot.NNNN where NNNN depends on the device. This option specifies an alternate save file for the boot sector. (Or, together with the -u option, specifies from where to restore the boot sector.) -S save-file Normally, lilo will not overwrite an existing save file. This options says that overwriting is allowed. -u device-name Uninstall lilo, by copying the saved boot sector back. A time-stamp is checked. -U device-name Idem, but do not check the time-stamp. -R command line This option sets the default command for the boot loader the next time it executes. The boot loader will then erase this line: this is a once-only command. It is typically used in reboot scripts, just before calling `shutdown -r'. -I label The label of the running kernel can be found in the environment variable BOOT_IMAGE after startup. This command will print the cor- responding path name on stdout. -V Print version number. The above command line options correspond to the key words in the config file indicated below. -b bootdev boot=bootdev -c compact -d dsec delay=dsec -D label default=label -i bootsector install=bootsector -f file disktab=file -l linear -L lba32 -m mapfile map=mapfile -P fix fix-table -P ignore ignore-table -s file backup=file -S file force-backup=file -v verbose=level SEE ALSO
lilo.conf(5). The lilo distribution comes with very extensive documentation. AUTHOR
Werner Almesberger (almesber@bernina.ethz.ch). John Coffman (johninsd@san.rr.com) (lba32 extensions). 20 March 2000 LILO(8)