Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cksum parts of a file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cksum parts of a file Post 25402 by auswipe on Monday 29th of July 2002 09:59:33 PM
Old 07-29-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Perderabo
There is one timestamp per compiled module. And the last time that I looked at this, HP didn't document enough of the a.out format to do this. I just learned to live without checksumming executables.

And yes, HP-UX is the only version of unix that I know of with this problem/feature.
If I were to peruse this further, I would compile hello1 and hello2 and take a gander at where the files were different and eliminate those portions from a compare with the method from the previous post.

The timestamp may not be documented, but crazykelso ought to be able to find the offset and length of the timestamp. But that's with some simple assumptions, like the offset never changes, etc. It would be a neat excercise and if it worked.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting parts of a file

Hello, I'm trying to retreive certain bits of info from a file. the file contains a list like this info1:info2:info3:info4 info1:info2:info3:info4 info1:info2:info3:info4 info1:info2:info3:info4 how do i pick out only info2 or only info3 without the others? Thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting parts of a file.

Hello, I have a XML file as below and i would like to extract all the lines between <JOB & </JOB> for every such occurance. The number of lines between them is not fixed. Anyways to do this awk? ============ <JOB APR="1" AUG="1" DEC="1" FEB="1" JAN="1" JUL="1" JUN="1" MAR="1" MAY="1"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivat79
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file into unequal parts

How do I split a file into many parts but with different amounts of lines per part? I looked at the split command but that only splits evenly. I'd like a range specified to determine how many lines each output file should have. For example, if the input file has 1000 lines and the range is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: revax
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find file with space and cksum

find . -type f | xargs cksum this command is failing for the files which has a space in between them any quick solution ? preferably one liner (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to swap parts of a file name?

I have a number of files that a structured like this: Eg. file_name.ext1 another file name with spaces.ext2 yatf with .ext3 also a file (plus).ext4 I would like to swap the part with the descriptive_file_name part, so that it looks like this: Eg. file_name .ext1 I know (or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: invenio
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract certain parts from a file

I have a logfile from which i need to extract certain pattern based on the time but the problem here is the time is not same for all days. Input file: Mon 12:34:56 abvjingjgg Mon 12:34:57 ofjhjgjhgh . . . Mon 22:30:00 kkfng . . . Mon 23:12:23 kjgsdafhkljf . . . Tue 01:04:54... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpk_newbie
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Parts of File

Hello All, I have a file like this Define schema flat_file_schema ( a varchar(20) ,b varchar(30) ,c varchar(40) ); (Insert into table ( a ,b ,c ) values ( 1 ,2 ,3 ); (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine two parts of a file

Hello All, I have a file like this APPLY ( 'INSERT INTO brdcst_media_cntnt ( cntnt_id ,brdcst_media_cntnt_cd ,cntnt_prvdr_cd ,data_src_type_cd ,cntnt_titl_nm ,cntnt_desc ,batch_dt ,batch_id ) VALUES ( :cntnt_id (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing parts of ten digits number by parts

I have number in file which contains date and serial number: 2013101000. The last two digits are serial number (00). So maximum of serial number is 100. After reaching 100 it becomes 00 with incrementing 10 which is day with max 31. after reaching 31 it becomes 00 and increments 10... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
31 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file into n parts.

Hi all: I have a 5-column tab-separated file. The only thing that I want to do with it is to split it. However, I want to split it with a 80/20 proportion -- randomized, if possible. I know that something like : awk '{print $0 ""> "file" NR}' RS='' input-file will work, but it only... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
6 Replies
cksum(n)						     Cyclic Redundancy Checks							  cksum(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
cksum - Calculate a cksum(1) compatible checksum SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require cksum ?1.1.3? ::crc::cksum ?-format format? ?-chunksize size? [ -channel chan | -filename file | string ] ::crc::CksumInit ::crc::CksumUpdate token data ::crc::CksumFinal token _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a Tcl implementation of the cksum(1) algorithm based upon information provided at in the GNU implementation of this program as part of the GNU Textutils 2.0 package. COMMANDS
::crc::cksum ?-format format? ?-chunksize size? [ -channel chan | -filename file | string ] The command takes string data or a channel or file name and returns a checksum value calculated using the cksum(1) algorithm. The result is formatted using the format(n) specifier provided or as an unsigned integer (%u) by default. OPTIONS
-channel name Return a checksum for the data read from a channel. The command will read data from the channel until the eof is true. If you need to be able to process events during this calculation see the PROGRAMMING INTERFACE section -filename name This is a convenience option that opens the specified file, sets the encoding to binary and then acts as if the -channel option had been used. The file is closed on completion. -format string Return the checksum using an alternative format template. PROGRAMMING INTERFACE
The cksum package implements the checksum using a context variable to which additional data can be added at any time. This is expecially useful in an event based environment such as a Tk application or a web server package. Data to be checksummed may be handled incrementally during a fileevent handler in discrete chunks. This can improve the interactive nature of a GUI application and can help to avoid excessive memory consumption. ::crc::CksumInit Begins a new cksum context. Returns a token ID that must be used for the remaining functions. An optional seed may be specified if required. ::crc::CksumUpdate token data Add data to the checksum identified by token. Calling CksumUpdate $token "abcd" is equivalent to calling CksumUpdate $token "ab" followed by CksumUpdate $token "cb". See EXAMPLES. ::crc::CksumFinal token Returns the checksum value and releases any resources held by this token. Once this command completes the token will be invalid. The result is a 32 bit integer value. EXAMPLES
% crc::cksum "Hello, World!" 2609532967 % crc::cksum -format 0x%X "Hello, World!" 0x9B8A5027 % crc::cksum -file cksum.tcl 1828321145 % set tok [crc::CksumInit] % crc::CksumUpdate $tok "Hello, " % crc::CksumUpdate $tok "World!" % crc::CksumFinal $tok 2609532967 AUTHORS
Pat Thoyts BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category crc of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
crc32(n), sum(n) KEYWORDS
checksum, cksum, crc, crc32, cyclic redundancy check, data integrity, security CATEGORY
Hashes, checksums, and encryption COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2002, Pat Thoyts crc 1.1.3 cksum(n)