Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SDS and replicas
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users SDS and replicas Post 25347 by RTM on Monday 29th of July 2002 10:16:56 AM
Old 07-29-2002
The metadb command is used to administer the replica database - the replica database is used by the software to know where everything is (a simple explanation).

metadb - create and delete replicas of the metadevice state

You should read the documentation on setting up the replica database and other components - Normally you can find it on-line at docs.sun.com but I could not reach it to add the specific link.

Quote:
Is it necessary to add two replicas on the same slice on the new disks, as made before on the others disks ?
If you have replicas already (before attempting to set up the stripe) then that is all you need as long as you followed the 'rules' for setting up replicas. You don't need more replicas just because you are setting up a new volume/mirror/stripe.

Quote:
Is it necessary to add the -f option to add replicas ?
No, as mentioned in the man page:
-f The -f option is used to create the initial state data-
base. It is also used to force the deletion of replicas
below the minimum of two. (The -a and -f options should
be used together only when no state databases exist.)

Quote:
Is it necessary to reboot after creating replicas ?
I could not find an answer on this (and don't have a system to test it on). When creating the replica (while building a system) a reboot is done because we create mirrors of the OS. I believe that a reboot IS needed when first setting up, but not afterwards (if you added more replicas).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

New Sds Slice

Hi, I'd like to add two new disk (mirrored each other) in a machine still on line. The machine is mirrored with SDS. the idea is to add two new disk and mirroring them in order to add a new mount point like "/produit" with only half of the new disk. who could send me exemples or tell me how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guillaume35
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SDS to Veritas migration

...I have a situation where I disks that I mirrored using Solstice Disksuite now need mirroring under Veritas Volume manager...would anyone know the best way to go about 'un-mirroring' and then removing SDS? I can see references in /etc/vfstab and /etc/system that I guess would need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: silvaman
2 Replies

3. Solaris

insufficient metadevice database replicas ERROR

First I would like to thank this forum for assisting me in setting up my 1st sunbox. Could not have done it if it had not been for you guys and google :D I have mirrored my box and have SUCCESSFULLY tested booting from the rootdisk and rootmirror successfully. I am now looking at configuring... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem with DiskSuite replicas

Good morning, I have Solstice disk suite installed on my server. One disk broke so I sostitute it. A replica was present on this disk. I had delete and then recreate it with commands metadb -d and metadb -a. Now when I inquire for the status of replicas I see this: stp11# metadb -i ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonovox
2 Replies

5. Solaris

T6340/SDS root disk pull test.

Here's the scenario.. Server built with solaris 10 + SDS to mirror OS disk to 2nd disk. If you pull the root disk while the system is running, would you expect : 1, The box to just stay running, ie off its mirror 2, The box would crash, reboot, try and boot of its primary, if not, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsupplies
4 Replies

6. Solaris

metadevices: how to test metadb (how to corrupt replicas/understanding replicas)

Hi all, I recently started exploring Solaris 10. I am testing metadevices now. I have been reading about the state databases here: 6.State Database (Overview) (Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide) - Sun Microsystems So I created 3 metadbs on 2 slices (6 in total; c1t1d0s3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deadeyes
3 Replies

7. Solaris

VxVM confused by SDS?

I have an old V490 running an old version of Soalris 10 and an old version of VxVM. The system disks are configured using metathis and metathat, the remaining disks Because of the brain-damaged way engineering run things here, I cannot change this. I cannot upgrade nor patch the OS. I cannot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beast Of Bodmin
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Volume Manger - Database Replicas Question - Benefits of Increasing Default Size?

Hey all! I was hoping someone knew anything about this one... I know with Solaris Volume Manager the default Database Replica size is 8192 blocks (4MB approximately) Now I know you can increase this amount but is there any point? The reason I am asking this is that I've setup mirroring on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
2 Replies

9. Solaris

zfs raidz2 - insufficient replicas

I lost my system volume in a power outage, but fortunately I had a dual boot and I could boot into an older opensolaris version and my raidz2 7 drive pool was still fine. I even scrubbed it, no errors. However, the older os has some smb problems so I wanted to upgrade to opensolaris11. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skk
3 Replies

10. AIX

IBM TDS/SDS (LDAP) - can I mix endianness among servers in an instance ?

I'd like to add some x/linux-based servers to my current AIX-based TDS/SDS server community. Reading the Fine Install Guide (rtfig ?) I believe this may be covered by the section "Upgrade an instance of a previous version to a different computer" i.e. I'm going to install latest/greatest SDS on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maraixadm
4 Replies
volume-config(4)						   File Formats 						  volume-config(4)

NAME
volume-config - Solaris Volume Manager volume configuration information for top down volume creation with metassist SYNOPSIS
/usr/share/lib/xml/dtd/volume-config.dtd DESCRIPTION
A volume configuration file, XML-based and compliant with the volume-config.dtd Document Type Definition, describes the detailed configura- tion of the volume or volumes to be created, including the names, sizes and configurations of all the components used in the volume or vol- umes. This configuration file can be automatically generated by running metassist with the -d option, or can be manually created. The volume configuration file can then be used to either generate a command file or to directly create volumes by running metassist and specifying the volume configuration file as input to the command. As a system administrator, you would want to change, manually create, or edit the volume configuration file only if there are small details of the configuration that you want to change. For example, you might want to change names for volumes or hot spare pools, mirror read option, or stripe interlace values. It would be possible to also select different devices or change slice sizes or make similar changes, but that is generally not recommended. Substantial changes to the volume-config file could result in a poor or non-functional configuration. With a volume-config file, you can run metassist and provide the file as input to the command to generate either a command file or to actu- ally set up the configuration. Defining Volume Configuration The top level element <volume-config> surrounds the volume configuration data. This element has no attributes. A volume configuration requires exactly one <diskset> element, which must be the first element of the volume configuration. Additionally, the volume-config can have zero or more of the following elements: <disk>, <slice>, <hsp>, <concat>, <stripe>, <mirror> as required to define the configuration of the volume to be created. Defining Disk Set Within the <volume-config> element, a <diskset> element must exist. The <diskset> element, with the name attribute, specifies the name of the diskset in which to create the volume or volumes. This element and attribute are required. If this named disk set does not exist, it is created upon implementation of this volume configuration. Defining Slice The volume configuration format provides for a <slice> element that defines the name of a slice to use as a component of a volume. The <slice> element requires a name attribute which specifies a full ctd name. If the <slice> is newly created as part of the volume configura- tion, the startsector and sizeinblocks attributes must be specified. If the slice was previously existing, these attributes need not be specified. Defining Hot Spare Pool The volume configuration format provides for a <hsp> element that defines the name of a hot spare pool to use as a component of a configu- ration. The <hsp> element requires a name attribute which specifies a hot spare pool name. Slices defined by <slice> elements contained in the <hsp> element are included in the hot spare pool when metassist creates it." Defining Stripe The <stripe> element defines stripes (interlaced RAID 0 volumes) to be used in a volume. The <stripe> element takes a required name attribute to specify a name conforming to Solaris Volume Manager naming requirements. If the name specifies an existing stripe, no <slice> elements are required. If the name specifies a new stripe, the <slice> elements to construct the slice must be specified within the <stripe> element. The <stripe> elements takes an optional interlace attribute as value and units (for example, 16KB, 5BLOCKS, 20MB). If this value isn't specified, the Solaris Volume Manager default value is used. Defining Concat The <concat> element defines concats (non-interlaced RAID 0 volumes) to be used in a configuration. It is the same as a <stripe> element, except that the interlace attribute is not valid. Defining Mirror The <mirror> element defines mirrors (RAID 1 volumes) to be used in a volume configuration. It can contain combinations of <concat> and <stripe> elements (to explicitly determine which volumes are used as submirrors). The <mirror> element takes a required name attribute to specify a name conforming to Solaris Volume Manager naming requirements. The <mirror> element takes an optional read attribute to define the mirror read options (ROUNDROBIN, GEOMETRIC, or FIRST) for the mirrors. If this attribute is not specified, the Solaris Volume Manager default value is used. The <mirror> element takes an optional write attribute to define the mirror write options (PARALLEL, SERIAL, or FIRST) for the mirrors. If this attribute is not specified, the Solaris Volume Manager default value is used. The <mirror> element takes an optional passnum attribute (0-9) to define the mirror passnum that defines the order in which mirrors are resynced at boot, if required. Smaller numbers are resynced first. If this attribute is not specified, the Solaris Volume Manager default value is used. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Specifying a Volume Configuration The following is an example volume configuration: <!-- Example configuration --> <volume-config> <!-- Specify the existing disk set to use --> <diskset name="redundant"/> <!-- Create slices --> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d1s7" startsector="1444464" sizeinblocks="205632BLOCKS"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d1s6" startsector="1239840" sizeinblocks="102816KB"/> <!-- Create a concat --> <concat name="d12"> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d1s7"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d1s6"/> <!-- Create (and use) a HSP --> hsp name="hsp0"> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d4s0"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d4s1"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d4s3"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d4s4"/> </hsp> </concat> <!-- Create a stripe --> <stripe name="d15" interlace="32KB"> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d1s7"/> <!-- Use a previously-defined HSP --> <hsp name="hsp0"/> </stripe> <!-- Create a mirror --> <mirror name="d10"> <!-- Submirror 1: An existing stripe --> <stripe name="d11"/> <!-- Submirror 2: The concat defined above --> <concat name="d12"/> <!-- Submirror 3: A stripe defined here --> <stripe name="d13"> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d2s6"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d2s7"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d3s6"/> slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d3s7"/> </stripe> </mirror> </volume-config> FILES
/usr/share/lib/xml/dtd/volume-config.dtd SEE ALSO
metassist(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metaparam(1M), metare- cover(1M), metareplace(1M), metaroot(1M), metaset(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), mount_ufs(1M), mddb.cf(4) Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide SunOS 5.10 8 Aug 2003 volume-config(4)