Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory file system is full : But df -k shows space available Post 25209 by geraldwilson on Friday 26th of July 2002 12:29:25 AM
Old 07-26-2002
Dear Sir,
There were around 8,50,000 files in the file system.
Hence this error
According to Compaq Support,
On Filesystems that consist primarily of small files and where applications regularly create and delete very large numbers of these small files, ADVFS can run out of metadata space.
In Tru64 v5.* with AdvFs type '4' domains, the way BMT works has been redesigned to eliminate the possibility of exhaustion, however ADVFS type'3' domains still exists in Tru64 v5.*

Thanks for the suggestions

Regds
Wilson

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

file system full

When I try to log in as root I get the following message realloccg /: file system full sendmail :NO Queue:low on space (have 0,SMTP-DAEMON needs 101 in /var/spool/mqueue) What should I do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hopeless
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Full File System

Hi All, There was a background process running on a Solaris 2.8 machine, and appeared to have filled all available disk-space. I done a killall, and upon re-booting found that the file system had filled up, and will not boot as normal as a result. For example, I'm getting /usr/adm/messages: No... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breen
8 Replies

3. Solaris

Full file system?

I read the sticky and thought of a script I use on a regular basis. Since unless you patch/upgrade the df command on solaris you have a very tought time teling how full the system truly is. Output looks like $ biggest.sh /tmp Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyerder
0 Replies

4. Solaris

/tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded

Can you help. My server sunning solaris 9 on x86 platform pretty much hung for a few hours... I could not use telnet or ssh to the box - it kept refusing connection. A few hours later - I was able to log in again. The server has not rebooted but here are the first errors in the messages log... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
5 Replies

5. Solaris

file system full

I am receving following Error message in /var/adm/messages "NOTICE: alloc: /: file system full" Disk space usage is as beklow: df -k $ Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d10 76678257 56962561 18948914 76% / /proc ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
8 Replies

6. Solaris

file system full

hello Even though I am not out of inodes or of space, the /var/adm/messages shows messages: file system full I am doing now fcsk -m (400G) and I am still waiting to see the fragmentation results (should I add another option to df to have a faster output?) Do you have any other hints... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
6 Replies

7. Linux

Unable to remove file using rm: Disk space is full

Hi all, My disk space is 100% full. df -k <dir> -> 100% One of my debug files consume huge amount of space and i want to remove the same to start off fresh debugs. However i'm unable to remove the file giving out the following error message: rm -f debug.out22621 rm: cannot remove... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pankajakshan
8 Replies

8. Red Hat

File system full, but not really.

Hey all, What do you think mostly happened in the following situation? I have a Red Hat 5.5 server. Someone, somehow, managed to get two .nfs000.... type files that totaled over a terabyte in size. I removed them and thought things were back to normal. Then I started getting complains from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: geelsu
2 Replies

9. Solaris

File system full - not removed: No space left on device

Does anyone have any advise on trying to clean up a full filesystem? I can't rm any files because of the follow: not removed: No space left on device Any help would be very much appreciated. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: craigsky
10 Replies
addvol(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 addvol(8)

NAME
addvol - Adds a volume to an existing file domain SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/addvol [-F] [-x num_pages] [-p num_pages] special domain OPTIONS
Ignores overlapping partition or block warnings. Sets the number of pages to preallocate for the bitfile metadata table (BMT). The default is 0 (zero) pages. This option may be useful if you are adding volumes to file domains that were created prior to the release of Version 5.0 or with the -V3 option of the mkfdmn command. Sets the number of pages by which the bitfile metadata table (BMT) extent size grows. The value must be greater than or equal to 128 pages. The default is 128 pages. This option may be useful if you are adding volumes to file domains that were created prior to the release of Version 5.0 or with the -V3 option of the mkfdmn command. OPERANDS
Specifies the block device special device name, such as /dev/disk/dsk1c, or the LSM volume name of the disk that you are adding to the file domain. Specifies the name of the AdvFS file domain. DESCRIPTION
A newly created file domain consists of one volume, which can be a disk or a logical volume. The addvol utility enables you to increase the number of volumes within an existing file domain. You can add volumes immediately after creating a file domain, or you can wait until the filesets within the domain require additional space. For optimum performance, each volume that you add should consist of the entire disk (typically, partition c). Existing data on the volume you add is destroyed during the addvol procedure. Do not add a volume containing data that you want to keep. The addvol command checks for potential overlapping partitions before adding the volume. A partition overlap would occur if you could add a volume to a domain when a partition in it is already in use by a file system, such as AdvFS or UFS; a storage manager, such as LSM or a raw database; or a swap area. The overlap partition check prevents this error from occurring. The check is performed on partitions that are active (open) and on partitions that are not active (yet marked in use). If you try to add a volume that would cause active partitions to overlap, the volume is not added and a message similar to the following is displayed: Error: /dev/rdisk/dsk1g or an overlapping partition is open. addvol: Can't add volume '/dev/rdisk/dsk1g' to domain 'proj_x' If you try to add a volume that would cause inactive partitions to overlap, the volume is not added and a message similar to the following is displayed. Subsequently, you can examine and change the disk label and then run the addvol utility to add the volume. Error: Parti- tion(s) that overlap /dev/rdisk/dsk1g are marked in use. To edit an incorrect disklabel, use the -e option with disklabel; for more information see the disklabel(8) reference page. addvol: Can't add volume '/dev/rdisk/dsk1g' to domain 'blegga' Use the -F option to disable testing for overlap. Caution Disabling the overlap check can result in extensive data loss and should be used with extreme caution. Adding volumes to a file domain does not affect the logical structure of the filesets within the file domain. You can add a volume to an active file domain while its filesets are mounted and in use. File domains created prior to Version 5.0 or created with the -V3 option of the mkfdmn command that contain a very large number of files may need added BMT mcells (similar to inodes in UFS). By default, AdvFS attempts to grow the BMT by 128 pages each time additional mcells are needed. This may cause the metadata storage to become very fragmented, resulting in a premature "out of disk space" error. You can reduce the amount of BMT metadata fragmentation for file domains created prior to Version 5.0 or created with the -V3 option of the mkfdmn command either by preallocating space for the BMT or by increasing the number of pages that the system attempts to grow the BMT each time space is needed. Use the -p option to preallocate all the BMT space you expect the file domain to need. Note that space that is preallocated cannot be deallocated. Use the -x option to specify how many pages the BMT should be extended each time additional mcells are needed. The following table provides guidelines for BMT growth size in pages (-x option) and BMT preallocation (-p option). If your estimated num- ber of files is greater than those listed in the table, keep doubling the last table entry until you get a value that is close to your needs. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Number of Files BMT Growth Size in pages BMT Preallocation Size in pages -------------------------------------------------------------------- Less than 50,000 default (128) 3,600 100,000 256 7,200 200,000 512 14,400 300,000 768 21,600 400,000 1024 28,800 800,000 2048 57,600 -------------------------------------------------------------------- To get the maximum benefit from increasing the number of metadata table extent pages, use the same number of pages when adding a volume with the addvol command as was assigned when the domain was created with the mkfdmn command. RESTRICTIONS
You must be the root user to use this utility. AdvFS does not support a multivolume root file system. You cannot use the addvol utility to expand root_domain. This does not apply to cluster root domains. ERRORS
Command execution continues after the following warnings are displayed: addvol: Invalid value for -x addvol: Setting to minimum value of 128 Explanation: You have entered an invalid value for the -x option. addvol: Invalid value for -p addvol: Setting to minimum value of 0. Explanation: You have entered an invalid value for the -p option. EXAMPLES
The following example adds a new volume to an active file domain called accounts_dmn. After the new volume is added, the balance command is run to even the distribution of files over all of the volumes in the domain. # addvol /dev/disk/dsk1c accounts_dmn # balance accounts_dmn The /etc/fdmns/accounts_dmn subdirectory now includes new entries for two volumes. The following example sets up a file domain for a news service that will handle as many as 400,000 files. The news_dmn file domain will contain two volumes that are configured with preallocated BMT and increased extent sizes to accommodate the large number of files. # mkfdmn -p 14400 -x 1024 /dev/disk/dsk1c news_dmn # addvol -p 14400 -x 1024 /dev/disk/dsk2c news_dmn FILES
Specifies the command path. Contains file domain names and devices. SEE ALSO
Commands: advscan(8), disklabel(8), mkfdmn(8), rmvol(8) Files: advfs(4), fdmns(4) addvol(8)