Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Newbie on Solaris 8
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Newbie on Solaris 8 Post 2514 by Neo on Thursday 17th of May 2001 09:58:24 AM
Old 05-17-2001
Hardware compatibility means there is supported kernel code available, but that does not mean that the kernel driver code has been compilied into the core kernel. Some systems allow kernels to grab modules as required, but these modules must be compiled too!

No, you can't user SCO or Linux driver code with your Solaris systems. Kernel code is very specific and is generally platform specific. This is also true for device drivers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris - Newbie need help

Hi everybody. Sorry my English, first. Im a Solaris newbie. I want to learn Solaris. I've a Solaris 9 CD. I try to setup into my PC (Dell, PIV 2.8GHz, RAM 256Mb, HDD 40Gb), but it can't boot from the CD? What will I do to make it bootable and start the installation. Please tell me the format of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imyourfriend
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris netstat. Newbie.

Hi, I currently have two processes running on my Solaris server that are hogging the cpu. I am confident that these two processes are caused by remote users logged into the oracle database on the server. What I need to know is how to get the corresponding ip address associated with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Installing en_US.UTF-8 on Solaris 10. Newbie.

Hi, I am looking to install en_US.UTF-8 on to a solaris 10 Sparc server. Is it possible to install this character set from the iso image? I have an iso image only (sol_10_u.iso) on CD. I have used the command below but with no success. Any pointers to get this installed would be greatly... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris newbie, need help

Hello, I am a newbie to both solaris and unix (thought i would jump right into the deep end) anyway... I am having something of a hardware issue. My sun blade 2500 has two graphics cards, a sound card (pci) and an internal speaker. After installation, it has used the worse of both. I have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: GeekMasterFlash
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris Newbie questions...

Hello everyone, I am brand spanking new to both Solaris and Unix. I thought I would give it a go after buying a SB2500 off ebay for a few hundred dollars. I am having some issues that I am not sure how to correct, and I am wondering if I can get a few pointers? The first one is that my system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GeekMasterFlash
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris Newbie - I just want a minimal install

I'm coming from BSD/Linux where I went from having to install gnome to now running *nix boxes with just the CLI. I love it but now I want to try my hand at solaris. I'm installing solaris 10 in a VM but I am kinda shocked at the install size. I would do the "core" option but I dont know if I'll... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdotsen
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Newbie for solaris 10 and zfs

I have a Sun T2000 machines and require to reinstall the OS (Solaris 10 05/09). During installation, it prompts me about using UFS/ZFS and I'd chosen ZFS and choose to separate /root and /var. After installation, it displays the following: Filesystem kbytes used avail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donaldfung
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail Server on solaris (newbie)

Hello to all, My company has installed CW LMS 3 on a Solaris 10 server. I want to configure the system as a mail server, so that it sends an e-mail when a network incident occurs. I have created a user account and I have configured Thunderbird Mozilla to retrieve the e-mails. I have configured... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kadar
0 Replies

9. Solaris

newbie - learn Solaris 10 or 11?

Hello, I looking for becoming a Solaris system administrator. Background: I consider myself an entry-level Linux system administrator. I don't know if I start my studies with Solaris 10 or 11. Maybe Solaris 11 because it's the new thing and the future, and Solaris 10 because since Solaris is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertoridolfi
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Newbie to Solaris needs HELP!!!

Hello there, Am new to Solaris and want to find out what textbooks you can recommend me as a first time user? I have read the Sun Certified System Administrator for Solaris 10 Study Guide (Exams 310-200 & 310-202) by Paul Sanghera but other people say its outdated and not a good book. I also have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: runell
3 Replies
usbmodules(8)							Linux USB Utilities						     usbmodules(8)

NAME
usbmodules - List kernel driver modules available for a plugged in USB device SYNOPSIS
usbmodules [--device /proc/bus/bus/NNN/NNN] [--check modulename] [--help] [--mapfile pathname] [--version pathname] DESCRIPTION
usbmodules lists driver modules that may be able to manage interfaces on currently plugged in USB devices. usbmodules may be used by /sbin/hotplug or one of its agents (normally /etc/hotplug/usb.agent) when USB devices are "hot plugged" into the system. This can be done by the following Bourne shell syntax: for module in $(usbmodules --device $DEVICE) ; do modprobe -s -k "$module" done The DEVICE environment variable is passed from the kernel to /sbin/hotplug during USB hotplugging if the kernel was configured using usbde- vfs. usbmodules currently requires usbdevfs to operate. When a USB device is removed from the system, the Linux kernel will decrement a usage count on USB driver module. If this count drops to zero (i.e., there are no clients for the USB device driver), then the modprobe -r process that is normally configured to run from cron every few minutes will eventually remove the unneeded module. OPTIONS
--check modulename Instead of listing the relevant modules, just exit with code 0 (success) if the given module's exported USB ID patterns matches. Otherwise, return failure. usbmodules emits no output either way. --device /proc/bus/usb/MMM/NNN Selects which device usbmodules will examine. The argument is currently mandatory. --help, -h Print a help message --mapfile /etc/hotplug/usb.handmap Use the specified file instead of the /lib/modules/.../modules.usbmap file corresponding to the running kernel. --version Identifies the version of usbutils this tool was built with. FILES
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/modules.usbmap This file is automatically generated by depmod, versions 2.4.2 and later, and is used by usbmodules to determine which modules cor- respond to which USB ID's. /proc/bus/usb An optional interface to USB devices provided by Linux kernels with versions of the 2.4 USB support. Contains per-bus subdirectories with per-device files (offering a usermode driver API as well as access to device and configuration descriptors), a devices file containing a list of all USB devices, and a drivers file listing USB device drivers known to the USB subsystem. SEE ALSO
lsusb(8), http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net AUTHOR
usbmodules was written by Adam J. Richter <adam@yggdrasil.com>, and is based partly on lsusb, which was written by Thomas Sailer <sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch>. COPYRIGHT
usbmodules is copyright 2000, Yggdrasil Computing, Incorporated, and copyright 1999, Thomas Sailer. usbmodules may may be copied under the terms and conditions of version 2 of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation (Cambrige, Massachusetts, United States of America). usbutils-0.8 12 June 2001 usbmodules(8)