Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Running Terminal and/or X-Windows in Mac OS X Post 25076 by Marc Rochkind on Wednesday 24th of July 2002 10:22:14 AM
Old 07-24-2002
I've never used OS X, but you might try the standard UNIX command "pwd" ("print working directory").

(By "print," UNIX means "display.")
Marc Rochkind

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OS X/UNIX/Terminal Question

Hey everyone I'm new to UNIX due to the new Mac OS X operating system and would like some help. I'm trying to send an email via the UNIX-Shell-Terminal i Mac OS X, (it's called darwin) How do I do that? When I enter the Command mail I can send messages to root and with the command -forward... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: onkel
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems installing a program through Terminal in Mac OS X

Hey all.. I have a problem with the BitTorrent client called Deluge. (Deluge BitTorrent Client). Followed the guide on their homepage, but can't get it to work. First of all I have installed Xcode Tools 3.0 and MacPorts. I did the "sudo port install deluge" command, and all packages seemed to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sixmax
1 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

New to Mac OS X Terminal

Hi everyone. I'm new to using the Terminal and was just wondering if anyone had a link to perhaps a list of commands. And tips on some useful websites to visit or books to read. Oh and is there a way to delete just part of the Terminal's history? If so what is the command? Thanks :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xsemperidem5
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create new users on my mac from the terminal

I finally got how to su - in my mac from the terminal. Now I would like to be able to add new users. useradd -m -d ..... doesn't seem to work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigmac18
1 Replies

5. Linux

What's better for running Windows software in Linux, Wine or Windows VMware?

What are the differences, advantages, and disadvantages? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Advice Pro
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to checkout from SVN using Terminal in Mac OS X?

Hi, I am new for SVN. Earlier I have been using CVS. When I checkout the code from SVN using Eclipse, the size of the source code checked out is 612MB. But when I try to checkout from terminal, from my 5.8 branch , the checked out source code's size is only 312.1 MB. Can anyone tell me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afreen
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

close a mac terminal

Is there a trick to closing a mac terminal with a command? I would think you could just type exit into your terminal but that doesn't work. I also tried quit and close just for the hell of it and that didn't work either. Does anyone know what the command is? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running q-shell commands( on IBM-i Series) from cygwin terminal (on windows)

I have cygwin installed on windows server and when I do echo $SHELL the output is /bin/bash I have created a ssh tunnel from this windows server through cygwin to ibm -i series which is running Q-shell. I am trying to invoke a utility wsadmin (used for scripting) on ibm-i from the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav99
12 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

The Terminal on Mac: Coding

So found this C code online and need to compile it in Terminal on Mac. Here is the code: #include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> int option; char q; int number; int currentsum; int value; void calc() { printf("\t\t\t\t\tBegin\n"); // says begin in top middle of screen ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1negroup
3 Replies

10. Open Source

The Terminal on Mac OS X

Does anyone know the differences in commands when it come to Linux and Mac OS X? I'm wanting to know if I use "this" command in Linux and It doesn't work in Mac then what command is equivalent to the one in Linux. Example Ctrl+Alt+f2 switches to (tty2) so what equivalent switches to ttys2 on Mac? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1negroup
13 Replies
pwd(3tcl)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 pwd(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
pwd - Return the absolute path of the current working directory SYNOPSIS
pwd _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns the absolute path name of the current working directory. EXAMPLE
Sometimes it is useful to change to a known directory when running some external command using exec, but it is important to keep the appli- cation usually running in the directory that it was started in (unless the user specifies otherwise) since that minimizes user confusion. The way to do this is to save the current directory while the external command is being run: set tarFile [file normalize somefile.tar] set savedDir [pwd] cd /tmp exec tar -xf $tarFile cd $savedDir SEE ALSO
file(3tcl), cd(3tcl), glob(3tcl), filename(3tcl) KEYWORDS
working directory Tcl pwd(3tcl)