Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Directory updation Notification? Post 24968 by Marc Rochkind on Monday 22nd of July 2002 06:10:54 PM
Old 07-22-2002
I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "directory has been updated," but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. You would need a daemon (continuously-running background process) to check from time to time. This works OK if (1) performance is not critical and, (2) it's OK to have the notification delayed by a time interval up to X, where X is the period between the checks.
Marc Rochkind

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

gcc updation on Linux machine

Hi All, I already have gcc complier installed in my machine. Its version is : gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5) I am not sure whethere it's is latest gcc version available. I want to update my gcc version. Can anyone please suggest me what is the latest and stable gcc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bisla.yogender
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

if up notification

Hello experts, I have a requirement of notifying my application everytime a network interface is brought up. My application supports Various Unix flavours e.g. RHEL, SLES, AIX, Solaris and Mac OS. I know that SLES supports /etc/sysconfig/network/if-up.d hook scripts that run once an interface is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GajendraSharma
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

RPM Updation & Keeping User Change files during removal

Hi All, I have a RPM for an Java based application. Currently it works fine. But recently I want to implement that when newer packages gets installed over the older one, the rpm should only update the older files with the newer one (I know this could be done by rpm -Uvh xxx.rpm), but it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jw_amp
0 Replies

4. AIX

Problem with updation of 'quota'

Hi, We have recently implemented 'quota' concept for the unix users. softlimit - 230MB hardlimit - 250MB We have applied the quota when few of users are more than the hardlimit,issue is that even though the users cleared the space, still its 'quota' was not updating properly. For some... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish_satyam
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

to check files updation in sys time

Dear All, Pls help me on this issue. i want to write a script to check whether files updation happening in cuttent time or not. i have set of files in directory which wil update in time basis.. Requirement: If the files are updating in system time i just want to print "files are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2216
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check files updation

Hi All, Can anyone help to write the script to check files updation? i have files as mentioned below. which will be updated some time. i just want to check the last file is updating the data for last 15 mins or not. if its not updating i want to print NOT OK. if its updating data i want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steve2216
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check for updation/error/stuck of logs

Hi All, I'm a newbie in Linux Programming.:) Got some 500 processes running and I have around 20-30 logs updating for every 2mins on a server. The logs which i'm referring usually contains book name,run ids(not PID's),process name etc etc. I'm interested in finding out whether some particular... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nand Kishor
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Config file auto-updation

Hello All, I need to update my .cfg file which is used in the script for almost all runs. myfile.cfg file: var=1 var1=1 run=0 script: #! /bin/sh . /mydir/myfile.cfg echo $var"\t" $var1 exit So, the requirement is that the myfile.cfg should update every time I run the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find files in dir and updation

Hi, I have the shell script requirement mentioned below : List all java and c files or all files in directory and sub directories' in folder structure in current dir. then search for pattren1 in all files globally and replace with other string . And also check the date... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammulu
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File updation on matching key

I have input file like Input.dat with below content RRD 0Z91YUn000000Lk 9000100001 103020151117 STMT151117155527001 0000 2 000000 000004 RRD 0Z91YUn00000ysj 9000100001 103020151117 STMT151117155527001 0000 3 000000 000003 RRD 0Z91YUn00001vGh 9000100002... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: PRAMOD 96
12 Replies
PVMOVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 PVMOVE(8)

NAME
pvmove - move physical extents SYNOPSIS
pvmove [--abort] [--alloc AllocationPolicy] [-b|--background] [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [-i|--interval Seconds] [--noudevsync] [-v|--ver- bose] [-n|--name LogicalVolume] [SourcePhysicalVolume[:PE[-PE]...] [DestinationPhysicalVolume[:PE[-PE]...]...]] DESCRIPTION
pvmove allows you to move the allocated physical extents (PEs) on SourcePhysicalVolume to one or more other physical volumes (PVs). You can optionally specify a source LogicalVolume in which case only extents used by that LV will be moved to free (or specified) extents on DestinationPhysicalVolume(s). If no DestinationPhysicalVolume is specified, the normal allocation rules for the Volume Group are used. If pvmove gets interrupted for any reason (e.g. the machine crashes) then run pvmove again without any PhysicalVolume arguments to restart any moves that were in progress from the last checkpoint. Alternatively use pvmove --abort at any time to abort them at the last check- point. You can run more than one pvmove at once provided they are moving data off different SourcePhysicalVolumes, but additional pvmoves will ignore any Logical Volumes already in the process of being changed, so some data might not get moved. pvmove works as follows: 1. A temporary 'pvmove' Logical Volume is created to store details of all the data movements required. 2. Every Logical Volume in the Volume Group is searched for contiguous data that need moving according to the command line arguments. For each piece of data found, a new segment is added to the end of the pvmove LV. This segment takes the form of a temporary mirror to copy the data from the original location to a newly-allocated location. The original LV is updated to use the new temporary mirror segment in the pvmove LV instead of accessing the data directly. 3. The Volume Group metadata is updated on disk. 4. The first segment of the pvmove Logical Volume is activated and starts to mirror the first part of the data. Only one segment is mir- rored at once as this is usually more efficient. 5. A daemon repeatedly checks progress at the specified time interval. When it detects that the first temporary mirror is in-sync, it breaks that mirror so that only the new location for that data gets used and writes a checkpoint into the Volume Group metadata on disk. Then it activates the mirror for the next segment of the pvmove LV. 6. When there are no more segments left to be mirrored, the temporary Logical Volume is removed and the Volume Group metadata is updated so that the Logical Volumes reflect the new data locations. Note that this new process cannot support the original LVM1 type of on-disk metadata. Metadata can be converted using vgconvert(8). N.B. The moving of mirrors, snapshots and their origins is not yet supported. OPTIONS
--abort Abort any moves in progress. --noudevsync Disable udev synchronisation. The process will not wait for notification from udev. It will continue irrespective of any possible udev processing in the background. You should only use this if udev is not running or has rules that ignore the devices LVM2 cre- ates. -b, --background Run the daemon in the background. -i, --interval Seconds Report progress as a percentage at regular intervals. -n, --name LogicalVolume Move only the extents belonging to LogicalVolume from SourcePhysicalVolume instead of all allocated extents to the destination phys- ical volume(s). EXAMPLES
To move all Physical Extents that are used by simple Logical Volumes on /dev/sdb1 to free Physical Extents elsewhere in the Volume Group use: pvmove /dev/sdb1 Any mirrors, snapshots and their origins are left unchanged. Additionally, a specific destination device /dev/sdc1 can be specified like this: pvmove /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 To perform the action only on extents belonging to the single Logical Volume lvol1 do this: pvmove -n lvol1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 Rather than moving the contents of the entire device, it is possible to move a range of Physical Extents - for example numbers 1000 to 1999 inclusive on /dev/sdb1 - like this: pvmove /dev/sdb1:1000-1999 To move a range of Physical Extents to a specific location (which must have sufficent free extents) use the form: pvmove /dev/sdb1:1000-1999 /dev/sdc1 or pvmove /dev/sdb1:1000-1999 /dev/sdc1:0-999 If the source and destination are on the same disk, the anywhere allocation policy would be needed, like this: pvmove --alloc anywhere /dev/sdb1:1000-1999 /dev/sdb1:0-999 The part of a specific Logical Volume present within in a range of Physical Extents can also be picked out and moved, like this: pvmove -n lvol1 /dev/sdb1:1000-1999 /dev/sdc1 SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgconvert(8) pvs(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) PVMOVE(8)