Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Samba Printer question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Samba Printer question Post 24923 by dryheat on Saturday 20th of July 2002 08:06:27 PM
Old 07-20-2002
Just a guess, but try setting the [printers] section in your smb.conf file to browseable = no. It won't appear in the Windows list that way. You'll have to explicity type in the \\computer\printer name in Windows to attach to that printer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printer question

This question may sound very stupid to you guys... I am having a problem with a dot-matrix printer, which is named printer16 in our SunOS 5.6 system. Since it is a hardware problem, I want to use an alternate dot-matrix printer as a spare. But, before replacing the printer physically, I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annedeb
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sharing printer with windows via cups and samba

I want to use my linux box as a print server for my hp printer. I downloaded the linux driver for the printer and installed it. I also configured CUPS and printed a test page with it. Samba is allowing my windows machine to see and install the printer, but when i try to print to it, nothing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Spetnik
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba question

I'm about to be leaving when my current contract is, though I would like to be able to do one last thing though. Ok here's the deal. Everything here is Windows :( apart from a huge Xerox printer they have which running of Unix :) The other IT blokes here (Windows people) have told the blokes in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: woofie
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba question

Hey, I have set up a Windows share with Samba, so that other Windows machines in the network can access the share. It doesn't let me log in. Windows just gives me a password screen, I tried logging in with some of the regular accounts on the Linux system, and I even tried it with root but it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RellioN
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX v5.2 Printer Question

Hi All, I have an AIX server runing v5.2.0.0 OS and i am trying to print to a printer attached to the parallel port. I have successfully configured a printer and a print queue. However, when i submit the job i get the following error Message from queueing system: 0781-088 Queue z:lp0 went... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rramanuj
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing a Samba printer under Sun Solaris 10

Hi all, I am under Sun Solaris 10, and I wan't to use printers which are on my local area network (on Windows XP workstation), I have got samba installed, and cups. I wan't to have an easy way for printing document (with StarOffice, Gimp etc...), for exemple by just launching a command. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: willits
0 Replies

7. Linux

Sharing Printer Linux + XP (cups/samba)

I keep getting a access denied error when I install from the XP wizard my Linux shared printer. CUPS CONFIGURATION FILE <Location /admin> # # You definitely will want to limit access to the administration functions. # The default configuration requires a local connection from a user who #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alux
2 Replies

8. AIX

AIX v5.2 Printer Question

Hi All, I have an AIX server runing v5.2.0.0 OS and i am trying to print to a printer attached to the parallel port. I have successfully configured a printer and a print queue. However, when i submit the job i get the following error Message from queueing system: 0781-088 Queue z:lp0 went... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramanuj
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Samba and Cups :: How to Hide Printer Icons

Hi, I am running Linux box with samba-3.0.33 cups-1.3.7 When I access my home folder through windows and give user credentials, it works well but shows all the printers icons as well. I would like to hide them all from users. I tried changing Browsing On to Browsing Off in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amit_spl
1 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Samba printer drivers.

I placed a cheap USB printer on my small Seagate Goflex home NAS (firmware replaced by standard Debian Linux install) and shared it with Samba. In CUPS I set it as RAW format and Windows clients need to install a driver to print to it. I could install drivers on the Linux machine; in fact I did... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neutronscott
3 Replies
conv_lpd(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      conv_lpd(1M)

NAME
conv_lpd - convert LPD configuration SYNOPSIS
conv_lpd [-c printers | -c printcap] [-n] file DESCRIPTION
conv_lpd converts LPD printer configuration information from file to a printers.conf or a printcap file (see printers.conf(4)). file specifies the name of the input file, and can be either in printers.conf or printcap format. If file is in printers.conf format, it con- verts it to a printcap file. If file is in printcap format, it converts it to a printers.conf file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c printers | -c printcap Specifies the type of output file produced by the conversion. -c printers converts to a printers.conf file. -c printcap converts to a printcap file. -c printers is the default. -n Preserves the namelist during the conversion. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file The file to be converted. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Converting a printcap file to a printers.conf file. The following example converts a printcap file to a printers.conf file. example% conv_lpd /etc/printcap Example 2: Converting a printcap file to a printers.conf file and preserving the namelist. The following example converts a printcap file to a printers.conf file and preserves the namelist. example% conv_lpd -c printers -n /etc/printcap Example 3: Converting a printers.conf file to a printcap file and preserving the namelist. The following example converts a printers.conf file to a printcap file and preserves the namelist. example% conv_lpd -c printcap -n /etc/printers.conf EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. FILES
/etc/printers.conf System printer configuration database. /etc/printcap SunOS 4.x printer capability database. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWpcu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
lpset(1M), printers.conf(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 9 Sep 1996 conv_lpd(1M)