Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sysadmin LOGIN msgs for all users Post 24891 by kymberm on Friday 19th of July 2002 11:42:28 AM
Old 07-19-2002
Sysadmin LOGIN msgs for all users

Is there a way, as sysadmin, to put out system msgs, ie scheduled downtime, backup info, etc, whenever users log in?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tracking activities of Users using a particular login.

Hi!! Experts, I have a typical scenario here in which several users have access to a particular login .. say "build". None of the users know the passwd for this login. The name of some of the user have been to .rhosts file. The users can connect only by doing a rlogin to this id and then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
4 Replies

2. AIX

Change users login name

Hi, I need to change some users login name in AIX. With solaris i donīt had problems, i have used "usermod". But in AIX the usermod command donīt have the same behavior. Can someone give me a tip on how to perform these changes? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacewalker
9 Replies

3. Linux

Users with login privileges

Hi. I need the name for one command which I cant remember. This command displays all users which can log in to the system, wether they are stored in /etc/passwd, NIS og LDAP. Does anyone remember what command this is? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprellari
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

last login date and time for all users

I need a command that will list all the users and their last login date & time. I was trying the last command and the who command, but can't get exactly what I need. I just need the output to be user name and last login date . Thanks for your help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: igidttam
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

users login

Hello everyone I need to send to a file the last command from all users who log in and log out by week or month. My questions are I can do it with the command or I need to do a script ? If the answer is I need to do a script, someone can help me because Im complete new to make a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
3 Replies

6. Programming

how can get users list and their login time?

i'm sorry if yesterday i posted this thread in unix for dummies forums, :D i am a newbie in C programming i want to get active users list and their login time... i have search and learn about passwd and utmp, but i only can get user list without their login time... do you have an idea... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alif
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

No users can login

Dear Forum, I had this case before, all of sudden all users including root can't login. What done is by connecting to console port and resetting root password, "pwunconv" command, reboot server. My question is, how this can happen??? thanks :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: irda
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Passwordless Login between users

Hi Gurus, Wanted to know if there is a way to enable passwordless login between specific users in a Solaris (5.9)server. I copied the public key of first user into the $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys file of the second user. But it didn't work out. Note - Am talking about users in the same... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to list users and their last login?

hi all, I'm trying to write a script to create a file with a list of all users, their gid, gecos field and their last login time e.g. fairly new to scripting, this is what I've got so far #!/bin/sh( userlist= cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '{print $1," ",$4," ",$5}' for name in $userlist... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanngo
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Disable users to direct login

Hi all, how can I disable direct login to a Solaris system not only for root user but also for other accounts? Looking in google I came to the following: For telnet (/etc/default/login): disable root access> CONSOLE=/dev/console disable generic user> ? For ssh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Evan
5 Replies
DOWNTIMES(1)						      General Commands Manual						      DOWNTIMES(1)

NAME
downtimes - display system downtime records made by downtimed(8) SYNOPSIS
downtimes [-d downtimedbfile] [-n num] [-s sleep] downtimes -v downtime [-d downtimedbfile] [-n num] [-s sleep] downtime -v DESCRIPTION
The downtimes command displays the contents of the downtime database in human readable format. The downtime database is maintained by down- timed(8). The singular form downtime displays details only about the last time the system was down, whereas the plural form downtimes displays all records in the database. The -n option can be used to specify the number of downtime records to display. OPTIONS
-d downtimedbfile Use the specified downtime database file instead of the system default. -n num Define how many latest downtime records to output. Default is all. -s sleep Calculate the approximate crash time by specifying what was the sleep value of downtimed(8). -v Display the program version number, copyright message and the default settings. EXIT STATUS
The program exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
downtimed(8), uptime(1), http://dist.epipe.com/downtimed/ BUGS
The reporting accuracy in case of a system crash depends on how often the time stamp is updated. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009-2011 EPIPE Communications. All rights reserved. Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution. THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBU- TORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCURE- MENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABIL- ITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. The views and conclusions contained in the software and documentation are those of the authors and should not be interpreted as represent- ing official policies, either expressed or implied, of EPIPE Communications. version 0.5 2011-03-02 DOWNTIMES(1)