Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming do you believe X-application will "kill" the CDE and come back to login dialog Post 24874 by chenhao_no1 on Friday 19th of July 2002 03:20:09 AM
Old 07-19-2002
1 . thanks Perderabo
2 . I do a experiment in Compaq Tru64 Unix.
It (X-applicaton ) "kill" the CDE sometimes .
When the X-Application "kill" the CDE and let me come back to login dialog , it catch all signal SIGHUP (I use sigacton() (its sa_flags = SA_SIGINFO) ). signal SIGHUP , which sent by pid = 0 ,uid = 0 ( in fact it is [kernel idle] )
I add the tcgetsid(STDIN_FILENO) in source code , I find that When I launch the X-applicaion the "session leader" is 2345 (it will change ) , and When I launch the X-application from a menu button , its "session leader" is -1.

I can not understand why the kernel send the SIGHUP . Because :

3. "the signal is sent to the controlling process(session leader) associated with a controlling terminal if a disconnect is detected bye the terminal inferface" . But When I type the command "ps aux ",I found that the TTY of the X-applicaton is ??? , which indicate that it do not have a controlling terminal device (maybe I am wrong) . Since the X-applicaton does not have a controlling terminal , Why does the kernel sent SIGHUP to it

4 "the signal is also generated if the session leader terminato" . But I use tcgetsid(STDIN_FILENO), I find that the session leader is -1 . Since the session leader is dead (because it is -1) , how can it receive SIGHUP . (sometimes when the session leader is -1 ,the X-applicaton work correctly)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell"

Hi I have installed solaris 10 on an intel machine. Logged in as root. In CDE, i open terminal session, type login alex (normal user account) and password and i get this message No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" :confused: What i want is: open various... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpan
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HoHow to compile Linux dialog - "curses.h" missing ?

Hi, I tried native compile Linux dialog for Linux embedded device and got "curses.h" error message. As Linux dialog is already compiled and working as Debian .deb package (installed it). What is a way to import curses.h from other package sources to work for dialog sources compilation in my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darius2
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to install "source" command!/ broken "login.cl"!

Hello, I am new to this forums and this is my first "asking help" message! i have 2 problems: 1- for unknown reasons the "source" command is not avalable in my system (UBUNTU). i can't either see it in my bin directory! 2- again for unknown reasons the "login.cl" file in the home... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: astrosona
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on using "dialog" in shell

hello, i'm experimenting on "dialog" in shell scripting consider an example : dialog --passwordbox "password" 10 30 i need to take the password typed to a variable. how can i do it. i tried it in perl by backticking the command. but its not working. give me a solution ASAP......:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunjujohn
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
SETSID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SETSID(2)

NAME
setsid - creates a session and sets the process group ID SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> pid_t setsid(void); DESCRIPTION
setsid() creates a new session if the calling process is not a process group leader. The calling process is the leader of the new session, the process group leader of the new process group, and has no controlling tty. The process group ID and session ID of the calling process are set to the PID of the calling process. The calling process will be the only process in this new process group and in this new session. RETURN VALUE
The session ID of the calling process. ERRORS
On error, -1 will be returned. The only error which can happen is EPERM. It is returned when the process group ID of any process equals the PID of the calling process. Thus, in particular, setsid fails if the calling process is already a process group leader. NOTES
A process group leader is a process with process group ID equal to its PID. In order to be sure that setsid will succeed, fork and exit, and have the child do setsid(). CONFORMING TO
POSIX, SVr4. SEE ALSO
setpgid(2), setpgrp(2) Linux 1.0.0 1994-08-27 SETSID(2)