Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Creating A Make Recovery Tape Post 24856 by RTM on Thursday 18th of July 2002 01:47:38 PM
Old 07-18-2002
I have no clue but this link may help you find an answer.

HP Support

I searched for "make recovery tape destroys data".. could not find your exact problem. Lots of interesting comments on the way to do the tape - some may help you (like this
one ).

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

make recovery tape for solaris

Hello All I am need of amke recover tape for solaris.Could anybody tell me how do i create a make recovery tape for solaris.I am on sun-solaris 2.8 regards Hrishy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Command to determine Tape Drive model and make

Hi, We have some IBM LTO tape drives connect over SAN. I have the following questions :- 1) Command that can list the tape drive details like who is manufacturer, model number, make etc etc 2) I would like to know what are the key differences between IBM LTO Generation 1 and Generation... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2prog
5 Replies

3. AIX

make a recovery CD/DVD - system has no writable devices

Hi, Has anyone please got some advise as to how I can make a CD/DVD on an AIX 5.3 system so that it can be fully recoverd just by inserting the backed up system. The system that I need to recover has no writable devices, not even a tape drive (it wasn't specified by me btw). I am trying to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevek007
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

IGNITE / Make recovery

Hi, Currently, we are doing make recovery in our servers but dds tape drive of 1 of our servers is not working. I suppose to use external dds tape drive but the problem is that there is no slot from the server for the scsi type external dds device. Is it possible to use drives from other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tris
5 Replies

5. Solaris

/dev/rmt is empty - Trying to make Tape Drive Functional

I have an HP Proliant DL380 with Intel Processors that I recently loaded Solaris 10 with latest patches on it. I'm trying to do a ufsdump to an HP DAT 40 tape drive via SCSI, but I can't get it to do anything because /dev/rmt is empty. I've tried the following with luck: touch /reconfigure,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvaughn
7 Replies

6. HP-UX

HP-Unix 64 bit Tape Drive creating problem

Hello All, I have HP Openview storage data protector version 5.5. When I am going to write my backup I have an error message saying "Connot Open Device /dev/rmt/0mn" Follownig is my output: # ls -l /dev/rmt/0mn crw-rw-rw- 2 bin bin 205 0x080140 Jan 17 16:41 /dev/rmt/0mn # uname -a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellozishan
2 Replies

7. AIX

Boot from TS3200 FC tape library in case of mksysb recovery

Hi all, Is it possible to boot from SMS menu boot devices into TS3200 FC tape library in case of an mksysb recovery on system p550 - 520 power6. please note the library is fibre channel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to make a copy of a tape to another tape?

Hello, We need to make a copy of a backup tape, using the 2 tape recorders in IBM 3582 Tape Library We tried tu use "tcopy", it seems to work fine (no error messages) but we aren't sure if we can rely on it. my question is how to check if the copy succeded or not, but i also want to know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastlane3000
3 Replies
FMS(8)							       AFS Command Reference							    FMS(8)

NAME
fms - Determine a tape's capacity and a tape device's filemark size SYNOPSIS
fms -tape <tape special file> [-help] fms -t <tape special file> [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fms command determines the capacity of the tape currently in the tape device identified by the -tape argument, along with the size of the filemark for the device. The filemark is also referred to as the device's end-of-file (EOF) marker, and can differ for each combination of tape and tape device. As the Tape Coordinator writes a dump, it writes a filemark between the data included from each volume and also tracks the amount of space left before the end of the tape (EOT). For some tape devices, the filemark is large enough (multiple megabytes) that failure to consider it leads the Tape Coordinator significantly to overestimate the available space. The intended use of this command is to determine tape capacity and filemark size values that can be specified in a tape device's entry in the /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file. For certain types of tape drives, the Tape Coordinator operates more efficiently when the tapeconfig file lists accurate values. For further discussion, see the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter on configuring the Backup System. Insert a tape in the drive before issuing this command. CAUTIONS
Do not use this command on compressing tape devices in compression mode or with tape devices that handle tapes of multigigabyte (or multiterabyte) capacity. It does not produce accurate results in those cases. For alternate suggestions on the values to record in the tapeconfig file for compressing drives, see the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter on configuring the Backup System. Running the command completely overwrites the tape, so use a blank one or one that can be recycled. Because it writes filemarks to the complete length of the tape, the command can take from several hours to more than a day to complete. OPTIONS
-tape <tape special file> Specifies the UNIX device name of the tape device for which to determine filemark size and the capacity of the tape it currently contains. The format varies on different system types, but usually begins with /dev; an example is /dev/sd0a. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The command generates output both on the standard output stream and in the fms.log file that it creates in the current working directory. The output reports the capacity of the tape in the device and the device's filemark size. The first few lines of output include status information about the execution of the command, including such information as the number of blocks and the number of file marks written to the tape by the command. The last two lines of both screen and file output provide the following information: o "Tape capacity is number bytes": specifies the size, in bytes, of the tape in the device. o "File marks are number bytes": specifies the device's filemark size in bytes. The following message indicates that the fms command interpreter cannot access the tape device. The command halts. Can't open tape drive I<device> The following message indicates that the command interpreter cannot create the fms.log log file. Again, the command halts. Can't open log file EXAMPLES
The following command illustrates the output for the device called /dev/rmt1h: % fms /dev/rmt1h wrote block: 130408 Finished data capacity test - rewinding wrote 1109 blocks, 1109 file marks Finished file mark test Tape capacity is 2136604672 bytes File marks are 1910205 bytes The following appears in the fms.log file: fms test started wrote 9230 blocks Finished file mark test Tape capacity is 151224320 bytes File marks are 2375680 bytes PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be able to insert and write to files in the currently working directory, if the fms.log file does not already exist. If it already exists, the issuer need only be able to write to it. SEE ALSO
fms.log(5), tapeconfig(5) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FMS(8)