Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming can client connect() when server in sleep(300); after listen(fd,5); Post 24835 by Perderabo on Thursday 18th of July 2002 09:22:06 AM
Old 07-18-2002
2) That is interesting! I always thought that the kernel waited for the accept() to establish a connection. Just goes to show that I don't know everything.

5) The port has an open socket associated with it. And the kernel know which port goes to which socket. The TCP/IP code has the job of making the data available to the socket.

6) If the process is using O-NONBLOCK (or equivalent) as yours is, the kernel does nothing. The hope is that the process will eventually decide to issue the accept() or the read() or whatever. If the process has blocked waiting for for data on the socket, it will be "awoken" when data arrives. This will put it on the run queue. And when a cpu runs it, the system call will finally complete.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Client wont connect to server

Hey all Ive written a program for a Java program in college. just something basic where a client connects to a server through java socket programming. Yet when i run the server on Ubuntu and place and run the client on a windows XP machine, they cannot connect to each other. If the are on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerperrett
2 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

sftp client can't connect

Hi. I'm trying to use my sftp client on solaris 9 to connect to an sftp server. ssh is installed correctly and I can see my pub/priv key files in the ~/.ssh directory. When I run sftp -v <target> I get: bash-2.05# sftp -v retsdsa.merlin.mb.ca Connecting to retsdsa.merlin.mb.ca... debug1: SSH... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skowal
2 Replies

3. Programming

Client/Server Socket Application - Preventing Client from quitting on server crash

Problem - Linux Client/Server Socket Application: Preventing Client from quitting on server crash Hi, I am writing a Linux socket Server and Client using TCP protocol on Ubuntu 9.04 x64. I am having problem trying to implement a scenario where the client should keep running even when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun.nagpaal
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make server to listen to unicast as well broadcast requests

is it possible to code a server that listens for broadcast as well unicast requests ?? If so please suggest how to do the same ? Thanks Gopi Krishna P (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
2 Replies

5. AIX

Unable to connect VIO client

Hi I am facing very strange issue on my vio server 5 vio clients are confgured, now I am to connect 3 vio client , i am unable to connect 2 vio client my ip address,subnet mask,gateway is correct. i have rebooted and reconfigured the ip address, but issue is persists. Kindly suggest how to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

x-win client connect red hat

Hi, I use red hat linux ES 5.5 32 bit . There is x win(startx) installed. I wan to use XP at another computer and connect the x-win(startx) through IP network . Which software/freeware I can use ??? Please advice .. Is it free ??? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
0 Replies

7. Linux

Help!! trying to connect to linux SSH from windows putty client

Hi, i am trying to connect my Putty session on a windows box to a linux SSH, i have generated private and public key pairs using puttygen, i have set the public one to be in an OPENSSH format... and have put this in my authorized_keys file in linux, when i connect i get the following errors: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jtyreman
1 Replies

8. Linux

Unable to connect to Server machine from a client machine using ftp service

Hi, Could you please help me with the below issue.. I'm running RHEL6 OS on both server (192.168.0.10) and client machines (192.168.0.1). I'm trying to connect to server from the client machine using ftp service. I have installed vsftpd daemon on both the machines. I'm getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
4 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Logging to server to get etc/passwd file of all 300 server

i am new to scripting ,i need bash script in jump server to pull the /etc/passwd of all servers and the ssh keys are installed (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: profiles
3 Replies
ACCEPT(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							 ACCEPT(2)

NAME
accept -- accept a connection on a socket SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/socket.h> int accept(int socket, struct sockaddr *restrict address, socklen_t *restrict address_len); DESCRIPTION
The argument socket is a socket that has been created with socket(2), bound to an address with bind(2), and is listening for connections after a listen(2). accept() extracts the first connection request on the queue of pending connections, creates a new socket with the same properties of socket, and allocates a new file descriptor for the socket. If no pending connections are present on the queue, and the socket is not marked as non-blocking, accept() blocks the caller until a connection is present. If the socket is marked non-blocking and no pending connections are present on the queue, accept() returns an error as described below. The accepted socket may not be used to accept more con- nections. The original socket socket, remains open. The argument address is a result parameter that is filled in with the address of the connecting entity, as known to the communications layer. The exact format of the address parameter is determined by the domain in which the communication is occurring. The address_len is a value- result parameter; it should initially contain the amount of space pointed to by address; on return it will contain the actual length (in bytes) of the address returned. This call is used with connection-based socket types, currently with SOCK_STREAM. It is possible to select(2) a socket for the purposes of doing an accept() by selecting it for read. For certain protocols which require an explicit confirmation, such as ISO or DATAKIT, accept() can be thought of as merely dequeuing the next connection request and not implying confirmation. Confirmation can be implied by a normal read or write on the new file descriptor, and rejection can be implied by closing the new socket. One can obtain user connection request data without confirming the connection by issuing a recvmsg(2) call with an msg_iovlen of 0 and a non- zero msg_controllen, or by issuing a getsockopt(2) request. Similarly, one can provide user connection rejection information by issuing a sendmsg(2) call with providing only the control information, or by calling setsockopt(2). RETURN VALUES
The call returns -1 on error and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. If it succeeds, it returns a non-negative integer that is a descriptor for the accepted socket. ERRORS
The accept() system call will fail if: [EBADF] socket is not a valid file descriptor. [ECONNABORTED] The connection to socket has been aborted. [EFAULT] The address parameter is not in a writable part of the user address space. [EINTR] The accept() system call was terminated by a signal. [EINVAL] socket is unwilling to accept connections. [EMFILE] The per-process descriptor table is full. [ENFILE] The system file table is full. [ENOMEM] Insufficient memory was available to complete the operation. [ENOTSOCK] socket references a file type other than a socket. [EOPNOTSUPP] socket is not of type SOCK_STREAM and thus does not accept connections. [EWOULDBLOCK] socket is marked as non-blocking and no connections are present to be accepted. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> The include file <sys/types.h> is necessary. SEE ALSO
bind(2), connect(2), connectx(2), listen(2), select(2), socket(2), compat(5) HISTORY
The accept() function appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution March 18, 2015 4.2 Berkeley Distribution