Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cron command not found
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cron command not found Post 24801 by art_malabanan on Wednesday 17th of July 2002 11:28:37 PM
Old 07-18-2002
hello there ,

first of all u need to make sure that your script is exectable CHMOD then do a crontab FILENAME to execute the crons
to see if what cron is running u need to do a crontab -l it will show th script thats running .

inside your script should be like this:

hr min * * * /filename

(ex: 16 00 * * * /filename) this will run srcript everyday at 1600hrs

* * * is your control for week day month if it is marked * * * that means it will run it everyday on the time u put in .

also make sure that ur script/cron ur running is on /usr/spool/cron/crontabs directory

Smilie art

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I prevent cron from returning errors on a file not found?

find: /home/Upload/*: No such file or directory I am getting a find error when I run for FILE in `find /home/Upload/* -prune -type f -newer TIMEFILE` do I need to run this job every 10 minutes to upload any new files that were added. Is there an easy way to prevent this? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodmis
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i check in csh if command found or not found ?

hello all im trying to use in sun Solaris the information received from the top command now i several machines that dont have install the top program so when im running the script im geting error saying after im running this code : set MemoryInfo = `top | grep Memory` if (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

3. SuSE

inconsistent ls command display at the command prompt & running as a cron job

Sir, I using the following commands in a file (part of a bigger script): #!/bin/bash cd /opt/oracle/bin ls -lt | tail -1 | awk '{print $6}' >> /tmp/ramb.out If I run this from the command prompt the result is: 2007-05-16 if I run it as a cron job then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajranibl
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash: cron-config: command not found - PLEASE HELP ME!!

Hello All, I have installed Cygwin on Windows XP and working with some Shell scripting work, I have needed to schedule my script using the cornetab and whatever commands such as "cron", "cron-config" are not working in my cygwin shell, I re-installed the Cygwin but the same problem is with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriya
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron job: command not found

Hi, I have a simple script. When I run it as cron job. I jot email saying: /bin/sh: line 1: test.tmp: command not found. the test.tmp looks like: #!/bin/sh date > done Even I took first line out, I got the same error. The current shell I have is /bin/tcsh Could anyone help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: natxie
2 Replies

6. Solaris

for: command not found

I have installed Solaris recently. I was doing "for file in *.c; ...." at the command prompt, it says for: command not found. I tried changing shells, but still wouldn't work. Any ideas? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: software2007
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: <command nm> command not found

I created a script that I need to run from time to time, but get this error message. To get it working again I run this command from time to time: export PATH="$PATH:~/scripts" I put all my automated scripts in the /scripts directory and would like to run my scripts from any directory... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalinawinemxr
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

When i am trying to execute export command within a shell script it is saying command not found.

I am running the export command within a view to use that value inside my build script. But while executing it it is saying "export command not found" My code is as follows: -------------------------- #!/bin/sh user="test" DIR="/bldtmp/"$user VIEW="test.view1" echo "TMPDIR before export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchoudhury
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to terminate command execution when string found in the command output

Hi Experts, I am very much new to linux scripting, I am currently working on reducing my manual work and hence writing a script to automate few task. I am running below command to snmpwalk the router.. snmpwalk -v 3 -u WANDL_SU -a MD5 -A vfipmpls -x DES -X VfIpMpLs -l authPriv... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanumant.madane
19 Replies

10. Solaris

Ar command not found

Hi all, ar command not found on Solaris 10 version. We can execute under ./ar command /usr/ccs/bin directory. However, we want to execute ar command anywhere. We add to /usr/ccs/bin entry under /etc/profile file shown as below. umask 002 trap 2 3 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziosnim
2 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab -- maintain crontab files for individual users (V3) SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] file crontab [-u user] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
The crontab utility is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and they are not intended to be edited directly. (Darwin note: Although cron(8) and crontab(5) are officially supported under Darwin, their functionality has been absorbed into launchd(8), which provides a more flexible way of automatically executing commands. See launchctl(1) for more information.) If the /usr/lib/cron/cron.allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the /usr/lib/cron/cron.allow file does not exist but the /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. The format of these files is one username per line, with no leading or trailing whitespace. Lines of other formats will be ignored, and so can be used for com- ments. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename '-' is given. The following options are available: -u Specify the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines ``your'' crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(1) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(1) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. -l Display the current crontab on standard output. -r Remove the current crontab. -e Edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. The specified editor must edit the file in place; any editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be used. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. FILES
/usr/lib/cron/cron.allow /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), compat(5), cron(8), launchctl(1) STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). The new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> BSD
December 29, 1993 BSD