Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rm files in a directory, looping, counting, then exit Post 24744 by isacs on Wednesday 17th of July 2002 09:22:32 AM
Old 07-17-2002
What about a cronjob?

Just enter a line like

0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * rm /PATH/RAF.*

and every 10 minutes the RAF.* will be deleted.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting number of files in a directory

Some simple questions from a simple man. If i wanted to count the number of files contained within a directory, say /tmp would ls -l /tmp ¦ wc -l suffice and will it be accurate? second one: How would i check the number of files with a certain string in the filename, in the same directory. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamalex
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line counting in Directory

I want to count the no of lines for files (.c and .h) present in a directory structure. My code is: #!/bin/bash # Usage: linecount.sh directory_name for file in $(find $1 -name ); do wc -l "$file" >> filecount.txt done Problem is that the directory structure is really big... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MobileUser
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting files in a directory that match a pattern

I have 20 files in a direcotry like BARE01_DLY_MKT_YYYYMMDD. The MKT differes for all these files but the remaining syntax remains the same for a particular day. If I am checking for today I need to make sure that there are 20 files that start with BARE01_DLY_MKT_20060720. How can I write a... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
31 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through the directory

Hi, I have to write a KSH script to loop through the directory and transfer all the files through FTP. The source machine is the Network shared drive and the files in the directory needs to be FTPied to the UNIX server. For eg. Directory (Datasource) + Directory1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahalakshmi
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping thru filenames in a directory

Hi, i am very new to UNIX, i am trying to loop thru the files in a directory. I got the filenames into a variable using $files=`ls` Here $files will contain <filename1> <filename2> <filename3> I want to get one filename at a time and append it to some some text. forexample, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silas.john
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a looping script for all files in directory

I have three different linux command scripts that I run for 20+ files in one directory. it goes like this FIRST SCRIPT: grep 'something' -w file > newfile1 . . . grep 'something -w file > newfile20 then I take all these 'newfileN' and run this: awk 'BEGIN {... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: labrazil
20 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Counting files in a given directory

Hi all, Need some help counting files... :) I'm trying to count the number of files in a given directory (and subdirectories) which reportedly contains "thousands" of files. I'm using this: ls -R | wc -l However it's been an hour and looks like it's still running; there is no output... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of characters in the filename of all files in a directory?

I am trying to display the output of ls and also print the number of characters in EVERY file name. This is what I have so far: #!/bin/sh for x in `ls`; do echo The number of characters in x | wc -m done Any help appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxNubBrah
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of files within a directory input by the user

So I have a loop that stated if a directory exists or not. If it does it prints the number of files within that directory. I use this code... result=`(ls -l . | egrep -c '^-')` However, no matter which directory I input, it outputs the number "2" What is wrong here? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through entire directory and count unique values

Hello, I`m a complete newbie to coding, please help with this problem. I have multiple files in a directory, I have to loop through the contents of each file and extract number of unique isoforms in that file. Each file is tab delimited and only the line with the first parent (column 3)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
1 Replies
RMDIR(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  RMDIR(2)

NAME
rmdir -- remove a directory file SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int rmdir(const char *path); DESCRIPTION
rmdir() removes a directory file whose name is given by path. The directory must not have any entries other than '.' and '..'. RETURN VALUES
A 0 is returned if the remove succeeds; otherwise a -1 is returned and an error code is stored in the global location errno. ERRORS
The named file is removed unless: [EACCES] Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix. [EACCES] Write permission is denied on the directory containing the link to be removed. [EBUSY] The directory to be removed is the mount point for a mounted file system. [EFAULT] Path points outside the process's allocated address space. [EIO] An I/O error occurs while deleting the directory entry or deallocating the inode. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links are encountered in translating the pathname. This is taken to be indicative of a looping symbolic link. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname (possibly expanded by a symbolic link) exceeds {NAME_MAX} characters, or an entire path name exceeded {PATH_MAX} characters. [ENOENT] The named directory does not exist. [ENOTDIR] A component of the path is not a directory. [ENOTEMPTY] The named directory contains files other than '.' and '..' in it. [EPERM] The directory containing the directory to be removed is marked sticky, and neither the containing directory nor the direc- tory to be removed are owned by the effective user ID. [EROFS] The directory entry to be removed resides on a read-only file system. SEE ALSO
mkdir(2), unlink(2) HISTORY
The rmdir() function call appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution