Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rm files in a directory, looping, counting, then exit Post 24744 by isacs on Wednesday 17th of July 2002 09:22:32 AM
Old 07-17-2002
What about a cronjob?

Just enter a line like

0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * rm /PATH/RAF.*

and every 10 minutes the RAF.* will be deleted.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting number of files in a directory

Some simple questions from a simple man. If i wanted to count the number of files contained within a directory, say /tmp would ls -l /tmp ¦ wc -l suffice and will it be accurate? second one: How would i check the number of files with a certain string in the filename, in the same directory. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamalex
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line counting in Directory

I want to count the no of lines for files (.c and .h) present in a directory structure. My code is: #!/bin/bash # Usage: linecount.sh directory_name for file in $(find $1 -name ); do wc -l "$file" >> filecount.txt done Problem is that the directory structure is really big... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MobileUser
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting files in a directory that match a pattern

I have 20 files in a direcotry like BARE01_DLY_MKT_YYYYMMDD. The MKT differes for all these files but the remaining syntax remains the same for a particular day. If I am checking for today I need to make sure that there are 20 files that start with BARE01_DLY_MKT_20060720. How can I write a... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
31 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through the directory

Hi, I have to write a KSH script to loop through the directory and transfer all the files through FTP. The source machine is the Network shared drive and the files in the directory needs to be FTPied to the UNIX server. For eg. Directory (Datasource) + Directory1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahalakshmi
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping thru filenames in a directory

Hi, i am very new to UNIX, i am trying to loop thru the files in a directory. I got the filenames into a variable using $files=`ls` Here $files will contain <filename1> <filename2> <filename3> I want to get one filename at a time and append it to some some text. forexample, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silas.john
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a looping script for all files in directory

I have three different linux command scripts that I run for 20+ files in one directory. it goes like this FIRST SCRIPT: grep 'something' -w file > newfile1 . . . grep 'something -w file > newfile20 then I take all these 'newfileN' and run this: awk 'BEGIN {... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: labrazil
20 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Counting files in a given directory

Hi all, Need some help counting files... :) I'm trying to count the number of files in a given directory (and subdirectories) which reportedly contains "thousands" of files. I'm using this: ls -R | wc -l However it's been an hour and looks like it's still running; there is no output... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of characters in the filename of all files in a directory?

I am trying to display the output of ls and also print the number of characters in EVERY file name. This is what I have so far: #!/bin/sh for x in `ls`; do echo The number of characters in x | wc -m done Any help appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxNubBrah
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of files within a directory input by the user

So I have a loop that stated if a directory exists or not. If it does it prints the number of files within that directory. I use this code... result=`(ls -l . | egrep -c '^-')` However, no matter which directory I input, it outputs the number "2" What is wrong here? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through entire directory and count unique values

Hello, I`m a complete newbie to coding, please help with this problem. I have multiple files in a directory, I have to loop through the contents of each file and extract number of unique isoforms in that file. Each file is tab delimited and only the line with the first parent (column 3)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
1 Replies
CMDTEST(1)						      General Commands Manual							CMDTEST(1)

NAME
cmdtest - blackbox testing of Unix command line tools SYNOPSIS
cmdtest [-c=COMMAND] [--command=COMMAND] [--config=FILE] [--dump-config] [--dump-memory-profile=METHOD] [--dump-setting-names] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [-k] [--keep] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [-t=TEST] [--test=TEST] [--timings] [--version] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
cmdtest black box tests Unix command line tools. Given some test scripts, their inputs, and expected outputs, it verifies that the command line produces the expected output. If not, it reports problems, and shows the differences. Each test case foo consists of the following files: foo.script a script to run the test (this is required) foo.stdin the file fed to standard input foo.stdout the expected output to the standard output foo.stderr the expected output to the standard error foo.exit the expected exit code foo.setup a shell script to run before the test foo.teardown a shell script to run after test Usually, a single test is not enough. All tests are put into the same directory, and they may share some setup and teardown code: setup-once a shell script to run once, before any tests setup a shell script to run before each test teardown a shell script to run after each test teardown-once a shell script to run once, after all tests cmdtest is given the name of the directory with all the tests, or several such directories, and it does the following: o execute setup-once o for each test case (unique prefix foo): -- execute setup -- execute foo.setup -- execute the command, by running foo.script, and redirecting standard input to come from foo.stdin, and capturing standard output and error and exit codes -- execute foo.teardown -- execute teardown -- report result of test: does exit code match foo.exit, standard output match foo.stdout, and standard error match foo.stderr? o execute teardown-once Except for foo.script, all of these files are optional. If a setup or teardown script is missing, it is simply not executed. If one of the standard input, output, or error files is missing, it is treated as if it were empty. If the exit code file is missing, it is treated as if it specified an exit code of zero. The shell scripts may use the following environment variables: DATADIR a temporary directory where files may be created by the test TESTNAME name of the current test (will be empty for setup-once and teardown-once) SRCDIR directory from which cmdtest was launched OPTIONS
-c, --command=COMMAND ignored for backwards compatibility --config=FILE add FILE to config files --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-memory-profile=METHOD make memory profiling dumps using METHOD, which is one of: none, simple, meliae, or heapy (default: simple) --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit -k, --keep keep temporary data on failure --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE (default is to not write log files at all); use "syslog" to log to system log --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output -t, --test=TEST run only TEST (can be given many times) --timings report how long each test takes --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLE
To test that the echo(1) command outputs the expected string, create a file called echo-tests/hello.script containing the following con- tent: #!/bin/sh echo hello, world Also create the file echo-tests/hello.stdout containing: hello, world Then you can run the tests: $ cmdtest echo-tests test 1/1 1/1 tests OK, 0 failures If you change the stdout file to be something else, cmdtest will report the differences: $ cmdtest echo-tests FAIL: hello: stdout diff: --- echo-tests/hello.stdout 2011-09-11 19:14:47 +0100 +++ echo-tests/hello.stdout-actual 2011-09-11 19:14:49 +0100 @@ -1 +1 @@ -something else +hello, world test 1/1 0/1 tests OK, 1 failures Furthermore, the echo-tests directory will contain the actual output files, and diffs from the expected files. If one of the actual output files is actually correct, you can actualy rename it to be the expected file. Actually, that's a very convenient way of creating the ex- pected output files: you run the test, fixing things, until you've manually checked the actual output is correct, then you rename the file. SEE ALSO
cliapp(5). CMDTEST(1)