Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed : Making changes in the same file Post 24725 by isacs on Wednesday 17th of July 2002 04:21:43 AM
Old 07-17-2002
Hi,

IMHO there´s no way to work without any tmp files, cause if you redirect the STDOUT to abc.txt the (empty) file is created before sed can read it. So sed is reading an empty file!

but what is the problem working with a tmp file?

I tried out this an it works fine.

sed 's/abc/xyz/g' abc.txt>xyz.txt;mv xyz.txt abc.txt

Hope this meets your affords.

greetz,
Frank

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making Changes without opening file

Hello, I'm new to scripting, I have a file test.dat. I want to make changes to it with out openning it. Example: test.dat has rows, and I want to change value "LA" to "TX" without opening it or without writing it to another file. Is it possible? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: irehman
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED is making my head-hurt...

Hi all! Shell-scripting n00bie here... I'm having a terrible time getting my head around how to use the sed command & could really use some help. Basically, I'm trying to use sed to remove all characters of a line up to a '<' character within a text-file. It would be spectacular if there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mxedit10n
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making substring with sed

Input: You can easily do this by highlighting your code. How can i get the substring from index 9 to 12 using sed? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

non alpha characters in sed + making it fast?

hello, I'm trying to write the fastest sed command possible (large files will be processed) to replace RICH with NICK in a file which looks like this (below) if the occurance of RICH is uppercase, replace with uppercase if it's lowercase, replace with lowercase SOMTHING_RICH_SOMTHING <- replace... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making replicates of a file with part of a line randomized for each file

Ok, so let's say that I have a file like the following: I want to create 100 replicates of this file, except that for each file, I want different randomized combinations of either A or B at the end of each line so that I would end up with files like the following: and etc. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Scatterbrain26
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making use of multiple cores for running sed and awk scripts

Hi All, After reading that the sort command in Linux can be made to use many processor cores just by using a simple script which I found on the internet, I was wondering if I can use similar techniques for programs like the awk and sed? #!/bin/bash # Usage: psort filename <chunksize>... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

making the first character of word using uppercase using awk and sed

I want to make the first character of some words to be uppercase. I have a file like the one below. uid,givenname,sn,cn,mail,telephonenumber mattj,matt,johnson,matt johnson,mattj@gmail.com markv,mark,vennet,matt s vennet,markv@gmail.com mikea,mike,austi,mike austin,mike@gmail.com I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matt12
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

making sed command case insensitive

i have something like this in a file cat onlytables.sql create table NextID ( id int auto_increment, zoneID int, entityName varchar(64), nextID int, lastModified TIMESTAMP DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP ON UPDATE CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, primary... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

making find/sed to include directory names with spaces

how can i make find/sed to include directory names with spaces the command is like this for i in `find wp-content/themes -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep -l -iE 'e'`;do sed -i -e 's/word1/word2/gI' "$i";done but it skips one directory names with spaces sed: can't read ./Nova: No such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Making SED case insensitive

Dears, In the below string, please let me know how to make the sed search case-incensitive. I have more such lines in my script instead of let me know any other easier option. sed -n '/dn: MSISDN=/,/^\s*$/p' full.ldif > temp ; sed -n... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamesh G
4 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)