Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Directory limit
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Directory limit Post 24644 by gabby007 on Tuesday 16th of July 2002 08:27:18 AM
Old 07-16-2002
Re: Directory limit

Quote:
Originally posted by merlin
I'm setting up a file server for users. Does anyone know how I can limit each users directory to 500MB?

--------------
Runing Solaris 8
You must log in as root to perform the following steps.

Determine which file system(s) you want to restrict the users' to. Example, I am going to put a restriction for user "aaa". The user home directory is "/export/home/aaa" and is residing in the "/export" file system.

Create a file quotas in "/export" directory.
# touch /export/quotas

Set the size limit for user "aaa" and edit the soft and hard limit (see man for details)
#edquota aaa

Turn on quota
#quota -v /export
#quotacheck -v /export

To make it permanent next time you reboot, make sure you add the option quota in vfstab file for that file system

That's all folks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

limit to number of files in a given directory

Everyone, We are on a unix AIX 4.3 platform and our application is written as such that all configuration files must reside in a specific directory. Currently there are over 10,000 files in this directory (and growing at about 300 per month). My question is is there a physical limit to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedrict
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can I limit the size of a directory?

Hi, I am not root, but I need to limit the size of my directory, so that it cannot contain more than 200M of stuff inside. Is this possible? Also, how can I see the total size of that directory? If I do ls -ltrd, it does not give me the size of all the files inside the directory. And if I do df... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
6 Replies

3. Linux

Limit directory size

Hello I want to limit the size of a directory; so a user cant copy more staff inside it then 5 Giga for example.. eg. /nfs/temp/jhon size can not increase more that 5Gb I havnt found anything on the net. Is there a way to do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to change directory limit in Solaris?

Hi, I am using Solaris 10. i was trying to make a new directory in /u04 but it don't let me make directory unless i remove some other directories. i issued the following command df -F ufs -o i Filesystem iused ifree %iused Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory size limit

Hey everyone I'm trying to limit the size a directory can be under Solaris 10. I can find plenty of guides to do it for user home directories, ut what I'm after is an absolute limit, regardless of the user. For example: I want /export/example/ to never pass say 5 GB, no matter what user is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodvikings
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setfacl directory limit

hello, I am using XFS filesystem & ACL (setfacl/getfacl). I can set ACL entries only for 21 users per one directory. For the 22nd user it shows invalid argument. Has somebody the same problem? I need to override this limit. thnks in advance david (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sigd
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Limit FTP user's access to a specific directory

Hi, I have searched "Limit FTP user's access to a specific directory" subject for 3 days. I found proftp and vsftp but i couldn't compile and install. Is there any idea. Please suggest. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamurd
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Limit bash/sh user's access to a specific directory

Hello Team, I have Solaris 10 u6 I have a user test1 using bash that belong to the group staff. I would like to restrict this user to navigate only in his home directory and his subfolders but not not move out to other directories. How can I do it ? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csierra
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Is there limit on number of ACLs' per directory in Redhat

I work on a distribution application on Linux which generates bulk reference data extract feeds and stores them on a Linux server. I have several consumer applications access the files stored on this Linux server using FTPS protocol. However in order for consumer applications to have access to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: waavman
2 Replies

10. AIX

Limit directory Size in AIX

Hello I have a disk mounted on my AIX server and inside the disk, I want to create 3 directories with max size limit, so that the directories can be limited to pre-defined size. Eg: My total disk size is 350 GB and I want to limit dir1 to max of 100 GB, dir 2 to 75 GB and dir 3 to 60 GB and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
3 Replies
QUOTA(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  QUOTA(1)

NAME
quota -- display disk usage and limits SYNOPSIS
quota [-g] [-u] [-v | -q] quota [-u] [-v | -q] user quota [-g] [-v | -q] group DESCRIPTION
Quota displays users' disk usage and limits. By default only the user quotas are printed. Options: -g Print group quotas for the group of which the user is a member. The optional -u flag is equivalent to the default. -v quota will display quotas on filesystems where no storage is allocated. -q Print a more terse message, containing only information on filesystems where usage is over quota. Specifying both -g and -u displays both the user quotas and the group quotas (for the user). Only the super-user may use the -u flag and the optional user argument to view the limits of other users. Non-super-users can use the -g flag and optional group argument to view only the limits of groups of which they are members. The -q flag takes precedence over the -v flag. Quota reports the quotas of all the filesystems that have a mount option file located at its root. If quota exits with a non-zero status, then one or more filesystems are over quota. FILES
Each of the following quota files is located at the root of the mounted filesystem. The mount option files are empty files whose existence indicates that quotas are to be enabled for that filesystem. .quota.user data file containing user quotas .quota.group data file containing group quotas .quota.ops.user mount option file used to enable user quotas .quota.ops.group mount option file used to enable group quotas HISTORY
The quota command appeared in 4.2BSD. SEE ALSO
quotactl(2), edquota(8), quotacheck(8), quotaon(8), repquota(8) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution March 28, 2002 4.2 Berkeley Distribution