Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Where can I find a Unix OS that will run on a 386 processor? Post 24627 by auswipe on Monday 15th of July 2002 10:05:04 PM
Old 07-15-2002
What are you planning to do?

You can use a small BSD like picoBSD and EmbeddedBSD. You should also be able to get NetBSD to run on such a small HD.

You could probably get Debian or Slackware Linux on it as well. The big thing I guess would to install minimal with just the binaries.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX for 386 SX 4MB RAM

How, where from and which UNIX or LINUX can I download so that I can use it normally working on 386 SX 4MB RAM. I want to use only its basic functions and C and C++ compiler on it. I need it for my studies. P.S I need a stable UNIX or LINUX including a full set of functions of C... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Traiancho
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO Unix V/386 Help

I'm new in this.. I want to install SCO Unix in a Intel 166Mhz with 1GB HDD. I have the fowllowing disks with labels: -1 disk of SCO Unix System v/386 Operation system Installation. -2 disks of SCO Unix System v/386 Operation system (extended Utilities) -6 disks of SCO Unix System v/386... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmyvaldes
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sco Unix V/386

where can i get a boot diskette for my old SCO UNIX V/386 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LEO P. CAPARAS
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find processor speed & memory in HP Unix 10.2

I have a D series HP server with HP UNIX 10.20 as the OS. How will I obtain the processor speed and memory of the machine. I have 'root' privileges. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: augustinep
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO UNIX System V/386, Release 3.2

I was just wondering if there is a way to recursive grep for something in this version of UNIX... so that I don't have to do it a directory at a time? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PBNOSGT
1 Replies

6. Programming

do you have unix for 386

hello!i have a 8 year old computer.it's 386dx, 40mhz,4mb edo ram,and it has 400mb hd.i'm looking for unix or linux which can work on my computer.if you know where can i find it please help me.if you have one please send it to ilovebasic@yahoo.com. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfjfgkþo
4 Replies

7. SCO

sco unix v/386 boot disk

anyone know where I can download or get a boot disk for sco unix v/386? I have an old PC running sco unix v/386 3.2. I dont have an install or boot disk. I need to reset the root password. I have looked all over the internet and cannot find it anywhere. any help would be greatly appreciated.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: format
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX 386 & HPUX

We have a C program which does the encryption and decryption. It is running fine in UNIX 386. But the same C program is giving different results in HP UX server. We found that the Ascii codes (output) are different. I don;t know why it is giving different results. How can we get the same output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeshsu
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What version of unix for a 386

I have already learned everything possible from windows or all that I at least care to learn and am now looking to move onto unix. My problem is that I have never used unix nor do I know anyone who has. If anyone could give any clues to what version/make of unix would be best on an old 386 box then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tabodi
7 Replies

10. Linux

What hardware will LINUX run on 386/486 ?

I'm really new to this and I want to learn UNIX/LINUX and saw the post about setting up a server to use everyday to practice. I have an old 386 PC and a 486 PC sitting around. Can they be reformatted and used to run UNIX/LINUX on as a network. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barkingmad
4 Replies
COMPAT_SVR4(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    COMPAT_SVR4(8)

NAME
compat_svr4 -- setup procedure for running SVR4/iBCS2 binaries compat_svr4_32 -- setup procedure for running 32-bit SVR4/iBCS2 binaries DESCRIPTION
NetBSD supports running SVR4/iBCS2 binaries. This code has been tested on i386 (with binaries from SCO OpenServer and XENIX), m68k (with binaries from AMIX) and sparc (with binaries from Solaris) systems. Most programs should work, but not ones that use or depend on: kernel internal data structures the /proc filesystem the ticotsord loopback RPC mechanism (NIS uses this) sound and video interfaces threads (ttsession uses threads) the streams administrative driver The SVR4 compatibility feature is active for kernels compiled with the COMPAT_SVR4 option enabled. Since support for ELF executables is included only if the kernel is compiled with the EXEC_ELF32 or EXEC_ELF64 options enabled, kernels which include COMPAT_SVR4 should also typ- ically include EXEC_ELF32 (for 32-bit ELF support) and/or EXEC_ELF64 (for 64-bit ELF support). Another compatibility feature is COMPAT_SVR4_32, which allows the execution of 32-bit SVR4 binaries on a machine with a 64-bit kernel. This requires EXEC_ELF32 and COMPAT_NETBSD32 options as well as COMPAT_SVR4. It is configured the same way as COMPAT_SVR4 but uses the /emul/svr4_32 directory instead of /emul/svr4. But typically, /emul/svr4_32 can be made to point to /emul/svr4 if the operating system donating the libraries has support for both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries. Execution of 32-bit SVR4 binaries on a machine with a 32-bit kernel uses COMPAT_SVR4, not COMPAT_SVR4_32. Most SVR4 programs are dynamically linked. This means that you will also need the shared libraries that the program depends on and the run- time linker. Also, you will need to create a ``shadow root'' directory for SVR4 binaries on your NetBSD system. This directory is named /emul/svr4. Any file operations done by SVR4 programs run under NetBSD will look in this directory first. So, if a SVR4 program opens, for example, /etc/passwd, NetBSD will first try to open /emul/svr4/etc/passwd, and if that does not exist open the 'real' /etc/passwd file. It is recommended that you install SVR4 packages that include configuration files, etc under /emul/svr4, to avoid naming conflicts with possible NetBSD counterparts. Shared libraries should also be installed in the shadow tree. The simplest way to set up your system for SVR4 binaries is: 1. Make the necessary directories: (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/{dev,etc} (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/{bin,lib,ucblib} (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/openwin/{bin,lib} (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/dt/{bin,lib} 2. Copy files from an svr4 system: (me@svr4) cd /usr/lib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/lib && tar -xpf -' (me@svr4) cd /usr/ucblib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/ucblib && tar -xpf -' If you are running openwindows: (me@svr4) cd /usr/openwin/lib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/openwin/lib && tar -xpf -' (me@svr4) cd /usr/dt/lib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/dt/lib && tar -xpf -' 3. You will also probably need the timezone files from your Solaris system, otherwise emulated binaries will run on UTC time. (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/etc/default (me@svr4) cd /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo (me@solaris) tar -cf -. | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo && tar -xpf -' (me@netbsd) echo TZ=US/Pacific > /emul/svr4/etc/default/init 4. Set up the configuration files and devices: (me@netbsd) cd /usr/share/examples/emul/svr4/etc (me@netbsd) cp netconfig nsswitch.conf /emul/svr4/etc (me@netbsd) cp SVR4_MAKEDEV /emul/svr4/dev (me@netbsd) cd /emul/svr4/dev && sh SVR4_MAKEDEV all As the major number allocated for emulation of SVR4 devices may vary between NetBSD platforms, the SVR4_MAKEDEV script uses the uname(1) command to determine the architecture the devices nodes are being created for; this can be overridden by setting the MACHINE environment variable accordingly. An alternative method is to mount a whole SVR4 partition in /emul/svr4 and then override with other mounts /emul/svr4/etc and /emul/svr4/dev. BUGS
Many system calls are still not emulated. The streams emulation is incomplete (socketpair does not work yet). Most SVR4 executables can not handle directory offset cookies > 32 bits. More recent ones, compiled for large file support (Solaris 2.6 and up) can. With older programs, you will see the message ``svr4_getdents: dir offset too large for emulated program'' when this happens. Cur- rently, this can only happen on NFS mounted filesystems, mounted from servers that return offsets with information in the upper 32 bits. These errors should rarely happen, but can be avoided by mounting this filesystem with offset translation enabled. See the -X option to mount_nfs(8). The -2 option to mount_nfs(8) will also have the desired effect, but is less preferable. BSD
April 19, 1999 BSD