Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: calling a aliased variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting calling a aliased variable Post 24607 by RTM on Monday 15th of July 2002 04:33:10 PM
Old 07-15-2002
From your first statement:
Quote:
i have variable A which is an alias for variable B which is equal to "THIS IS A TEST"
I set A to equal value of B - echo $A - get nothing (B was nothing)
Set B and then A again - and the value shows up.
$ A=$B
$ B="This is a test"
$ echo $A

$ A=$B
$ echo $A
This is a test

As far as the code:
I don't see why you get two $TESTIT at the end. When I ran it, it only writes it out once ($TESTIT). I believe you are attempting to cat the file (show the contents of the file) Could you explain more of what you are attempting to do? What shell you are using and OS+version?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we use aliased commands in script?

Hi All, I need a small help.. when we use aliased commands in shell script, they are not being recognized when I used. Is there any way to use aliased commands in scritping? Please let me know if u know... Thank you Chanu (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
19 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a variable to echo to a log

Hi everyone, I am trying to create a simple batch file to make SQL backups. this part of it works fine. Currently the script can mysql dump the databases, compress them, delete the .sql, compress the individual tar.gz into one larger one, delete the smaller files, encrypt the final tar.gz and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luma
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling a function through a variable

Hey folks, I'm pretty new to unix programming. I was trying to get something to work but it's not doing what I expected. #!/bin/ksh . ./functions.sh STRING=function_1 FUNCTION="$STRING" RETURN=eval $FUNCTION echo "value of $FUNCTION function is: $RETURN" All i'm... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irrational
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL script -- calling 'sed' by passing 'variable value'.

Hi Friends, I'm calling 'sed' command inside one perl script, which is to list directory names which are having some date value as their names (in the form YYYYMMDD) with in the range (start and end date). #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; my $DATA = "/export/home/ganapa"; my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a variable in another variable

echo "$previous_tmp$i" I have a 5 variables like previous1 previous2 previous3 previous4 previous5 I want to use a for loop to call them one by one. How can I ?:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh variable calling problem

First post on here. So I use csh shells for my research (physics... not a CS person). I am trying to rerun the same scripts, but there are ~10 files that have similar variables that I have to change for each different configuration, so I would like one central file for the variables I change that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabrepride
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling a variable from a variable.

Hi everyone, Is it possible to set a variable that calls another variable? I.E. SCRIPT=MY_SCRIPT.ksh ${VAR5} ${VAR5} is set earlier in the script, and I want to be able to call this when setting the ${SCRIPT} variable. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a Variable based on a Variable

Hi all, I have a source config file with variables like so: eth1_ip=192.168.1.99 eth2_ip=192.168.1.123 eth3_ip=172.16.1.1 I am trying to run a script which loops based on the number of eth interfaces on a machine and therefore modifies the variable it calls in the environment based on the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a variable of variable from a file

Hi All, I have file which have looks like below abc=${def} def=${efg} efg= "this is the actual value" based on "abc" value I have to call "efg" value , Am using below lines but it is not working #!/bin/bash source file.txt echo $abc Please wrap all code, files, input &... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashanth.K
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling specific characters from a find variable

I'm trying to do something like this: find . -name blablabla -exec ln -s ./"{:53:14} blablabla" \; The idea is find blablabla and create a symbolic link to it using part of it's path and then it's name, "blablabla." I just don't know if I can call characters out of a find variable. ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
16 Replies
echo(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo (print) arguments SYNOPSIS
[arg] ... DESCRIPTION
writes its arguments separated by blanks and terminated by a new-line on the standard output. It also understands C-like escape conven- tions; beware of conflicts with the shell's use of write an alert character backspace print line without appending a new-line form-feed new-line carriage return tab vertical tab backslash the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2-, 3- or 4-digit octal number n, whose first character must be a zero. write an 8-bit value that is the zero-, one-, two- or three-digit octal number num is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe. Notes Berkeley differs from this implementation. The former does not implement the backslash escapes. However, the semantics of the escape can be obtained by using the option. The echo command implemented as a built-in function of follows the Berkeley semantics (see csh(1)). EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of arg as single and/or multi-byte characters. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
sh(1). BUGS
No characters are printed after the first This is not normally a problem. STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
echo(1)