Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Logical Volume Manager question Post 24556 by Perderabo on Sunday 14th of July 2002 09:43:03 PM
Old 07-14-2002
I do not understand how simply making a recovery tape could cause such a disaster. Did you try to run that tape? If you simply were running make_recovery and this happened I think that it was coincidence and you actually have some other problem.

But in any event, after a disaster like this, vgscan is the way I would proceed. First I would "cp /etc/lvmtab /etc/lvmtab.save". Then I would run "vgscan -pv" and see if it looks reasonable. As long as you use -p nothing will actually change. If it looks good (or at least better than the current state), I would run "pvscan -v". It may tell you to run other programs next like vgchange. Follow the instructions the vgscan gives you. Good luck.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX Logical Volume Question

Hi All, There is AIX server which has 2 internal disks running the OS and 8 external disks on a RAID array with RAID 5. My question - is there a way to check which are the logical volumes and file system configured on this RAID array (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramanuj
2 Replies

2. AIX

Logical Volume Manager Help

I have a pretty basic question but I am finding my self stumped... I am trying to find the config that shows which logical volume is mapped to which physical volume IE: I know that pdisk15 is mapped to hdisk17 (I only know this as it was told to me though, by IBM) When I run: lslv -p... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pheusion
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM - Extending Logical Volume within Volume Group

Hello, I have logical volume group of 50GB, in which I have 2 logical volumes, LogVol01 and LogVol02, both are of 10GB. If I extend LogVol01 further by 10GB, then it keeps the extended copy after logical volume 2. I want to know where it keeps this information Regards Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghimanshu
3 Replies

4. AIX

Basic Filesystem / Physical Volume / Logical Volume Check

Hi! Can anyone help me on how I can do a basic check on the Unix filesystems / physical volumes and logical volumes? What items should I check, like where do I look at in smit? Or are there commands that I should execute? I need to do this as I was informed by IBM that there seems to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
1 Replies

5. Solaris

CLI to get info for Logical Volume manager

What are the comman line instructions need to be used to know if a Logical Volume Manager is installed on solaris Box, What is its name, version, driver version, library version. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: epriya2003
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Veritas Volume Manager question (Disk layout with 4 plexes)

I am trying to build a veritas volume similar to an existing volume on another server. The output on source server is: usbtor12# vxprint -hrtg appdg v anvil_sqlVOL - ENABLED ACTIVE 629145600 SELECT - fsgen pl anvil_sqlVOL-01 anvil_sqlVOL ENABLED ACTIVE 629145600... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: momin313
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies
VGDISPLAY(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      VGDISPLAY(8)

NAME
vgdisplay - display attributes of volume groups SYNOPSIS
vgdisplay [-A|--activevolumegroups] [-c|--colon] [-d|--debug] [-D|--disk] [-h|--help] [-s|--short] [-v[v]|--verbose [--verbose]] [--ver- sion] [VolumeGroupName...] DESCRIPTION
vgdisplay allows you to see the attributes of VolumeGroupName (or all volume groups if none is given) with it's physical and logical vol- umes and their sizes etc. OPTIONS -A, --activevolumegroups Only select the active volume groups. -c, --colon Generate colon seperated output for easier parsing in scripts or programs. The values are: 1 volume group name 2 volume group access 3 volume group status 4 internal volume group number 5 maximum number of logical volumes 6 current number of logical volumes 7 open count of all logical volumes in this volume group 8 maximum logical volume size 9 maximum number of physical volumes 10 current number of physical volumes 11 actual number of physical volumes 12 size of volume group in kilobytes 13 physical extent size 14 total number of physical extents for this volume group 15 allocated number of physical extents for this volume group 16 free number of physical extents for this volume group 17 uuid of volume group -d, --debug Enables additional debugging output (if compiled with DEBUG). -D, --disk Show attributes from the volume group descriptor area on disk(s). Without this switch they are shown from the kernel. Useful if the volume group isn't activated. -h, --help Print a usage message on standard output and exit successfully. -s, --short Give a short listing showing the existence of volume groups. -v, --verbose Display verbose information containing long listings of physical and logical volumes. If given twice, also display verbose runtime information of vgdisplay's activities. --version Display version and exit successfully. DIAGNOSTICS
vgdisplay returns an exit code of 0 for success and > 0 for error: 1 error reading VGDA 2 volume group doesn't exist 3 not all physical volumes of volume group online 4 volume group not found 5 no volume groups found at all 6 error reading VGDA from lvmtab 95 driver/module not in kernel 96 invalid I/O protocol version 97 error locking logical volume manager 98 invalid lvmtab (run vgscan(8)) 99 invalid command line SEE ALSO
lvm(8), pvcreate(8), vgcreate(8), lvcreate(8) AUTHOR
Heinz Mauelshagen <Linux-LVM@Sistina.com> Heinz Mauelshagen LVM TOOLS VGDISPLAY(8)