Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming running a c/c++ program in unix Post 24457 by kray on Thursday 11th of July 2002 08:25:27 PM
Old 07-11-2002
running a c/c++ program in unix

This is not a question, but rather a simple how-to for
programmers who are new to the UNIX environment.

I too,am new to UNIX.
First I developed a few programs on my box and perfected them
until they were satisfactory for execution.

Problem was however, that once i compiled and all that,
it occured to me, that i was new to Unix and had no freakin
clue about how to run my apps from the command-line.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out how in the !$#@ to do this.

To experienced users, this is probably 'duh!' however, to a new
user like myself, this was all frustrating.

I spent a long time working on my little program and assumed that if it works it would run. Makes sense to me.
---------
Well, i was very wrong, and after i compiled my source file "myprogram.c" with the GNU CC compiler using the line:

cc myprogram.c

then another file appeared, called:

a.out

This was because i didn't specify a name for my program.

Having very little patients with the available documentation, I found nothing about running a program once you've created it.

So i tried typing my programs name in:

a.out [ENTER]

No good, instead i get a reply back saying:

a.out: Command not found.

I just wanted my freakin program to run.

Well, good news, it 'turns out' that prefixing the programs name with "./" works.

--thats a dot, a slash and then the programs path and name

so finally i entered:

./a.out [ENTER]

and voila! the darn thing worked.

If this seemed a bit long winded, it was.
I just hope this helps someone in the future.

late,
kray

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Running a compiled Program

Just getting into the Unix command line programming and am unable to run any program I write. I am using a Makefile and the source is compiling but when I enter the name of the output file I get back: bash: lab01exe.out: command not found I'm sure I am just dooing something simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krebsbac
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a program automatically

How can I make a program run automatically at a certain time of day? My problem is I need to make a small backup program that will back up a few files every day? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvadn0
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running a program

Hi.Iam new to Linux.i got linux 7.0 pro and dont know how to run programs. I want a perl interputer and i know i installed one but how do i run it ??? Also how do i run a C or C++ editor ?and how do i run cron ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running dos program from unix server

Hello, My apologies if this sounds like a stupid question...... but is it possible to call a script that is located on a w2k machine from a csh script bing run on a unix server. Many thanks rkap (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkap
1 Replies

5. Programming

running a parallel program

hi , i need to run a parallel program . for example; program1 { array=" the second program should called here : program 2" the execution should continue } the 2nd program should recieve an array of information as argument and it should... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running a program (Dynflow)

Lets get some stuff out of the way before the question. I am currently running FreeBSD 7.0 on a VirtualBox virtual machine. I do not know much about Unix or FreeBSD, though I do run linux at home. My boss gave me some files that he says are a unix version of the program Dynflow. The Programs... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: poet_will
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Running More than One Program

Folks, I'm really new to scripting and was wondering if you could help me out. I have the following script that I inherited: #!/bin/bash # # Usage # From the agent directory: # ./run-any-agent AgentName # TAC_AGENT_HOME=`pwd` LIB=${TAC_AGENT_HOME}/lib CLASSPATH=.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: DTriniWay
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running C# program problem

Hi All, How to run c# program using shell script ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srikar.ch
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to keep program running after logout

Hello everyone. I am logged into a computer through ssh. I would like to run a program and have it keep running after I log out without screen (i forgot to run it). For example: ssh server user/comp~$ top & 12021 exit after that: ssh server user/comp~$ (something, maybe shell... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lepetal
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running C program in UNIX

I want to run a C program from my BASH script. Here's some very basic simplified code of my bash script: #!/bin/bash echo "Run C program" ./main.c echo "Ran C program" Here's my main.c: #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: millsy5
3 Replies
condor_compile(1)					      General Commands Manual						 condor_compile(1)

Name
       condor_compile create - a relinked executable for submission to the Standard Universe

Synopsis
       condor_compile cc | CC | gcc | f77 | g++ | ld | make | ...

Description
       Use  condor_compile to relink a program with the Condor libraries for submission into Condor's Standard Universe. The Condor libraries pro-
       vide the program with additional support, such as the capability to checkpoint, which is required in Condor's  Standard	Universe  mode	of
       operation.  condor_compile  requires  access  to the source or object code of the program to be submitted; if source or object code for the
       program is not available (i.e. only an executable binary, or if it is a shell script),  then  the  program  must  submitted  into  Condor's
       Vanilla	Universe. See the reference page for condor_submitand/or consult the "Condor Users and Administrators Manual" for further informa-
       tion.

To use condor_compile, simply enter "condor_compile" followed by whatever you would normally enter to compile or link your application. Any
       resulting executables will have the Condor libraries linked in. For example:

condor_compile  cc -O -o myprogram.condor file1.c file2.c ...

will  produce  a  binary "myprogram.condor" which is relinked for Condor, capable of checkpoint/migration/remote-system-calls, and ready to
       submit to the Standard Universe.

If the Condor administrator has opted to fully install condor_compile, then condor_compilecan be followed by  practically  any  command	or
       program, including make or shell-script programs. For example, the following would all work:

condor_compile  make

condor_compile  make install

condor_compile  f77 -O mysolver.f

condor_compile  /bin/csh compile-me-shellscript

If  the	Condor administrator has opted to only do a partial install of condor_compile, the you are restricted to following condor_compile-
       with one of these programs:

cc (the system C compiler)

c89 (POSIX compliant C compiler, on some systems)

CC (the system C++ compiler)

f77 (the system FORTRAN compiler)

gcc (the GNU C compiler)

g++ (the GNU C++ compiler)

g77 (the GNU FORTRAN compiler)

ld (the system linker)

NOTE: If you use explicitly call ``ld'' when you normally create your binary, simply use:

condor_compile  ld <ld arguments and options>

instead.

Exit Status
       condor_compileis a script that executes specified compilers and/or linkers. If an error is encountered before calling these other programs,
       condor_compilewill exit with a status value of 1 (one). Otherwise, the exit status will be that given by the executed program.

Author
       Condor Team, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Copyright
       Copyright  (C)  1990-2012  Condor  Team,  Computer  Sciences Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI. All Rights Reserved.
       Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

See the Condor Version 7.8.2 Manualor http://www.condorproject.org/licensefor additional notices. condor-admin@cs.wisc.edu

September 2012						 condor_compile(1)