Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers extract specific lines from file Post 2441 by apalex on Monday 14th of May 2001 04:22:59 PM
Old 05-14-2001
Question

hi,

how would i extract a range of lines in a file by using the line number? ex: file contains:

1 title
2 i want
3 this part
4 to be taken out
5 from this file
6 and sent to
7 another file
8 not needed
9 end of file

In this case, i want to copy line number 2 to 7 on a new file.

thanks....
alex

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract specific lines for graphing

Hello, I have a very large text file with about 2 million lines. Each of the lines starts like.. SNP_12345678 A 1212, 121, 343, ... SNP_12345678 B 4567, 567, 454, ... and so on. I want to extract specific SNPs and plot them by GNUplot or excel. The file is too large to be opened by text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: genehunter
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract the lines between specific line number from a text file

Hi I want to extract certain text between two line numbers like 23234234324 and 54446655567567 How do I do this with a simple sed or awk command? Thank you. ---------- Post updated at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:55 PM ---------- found it: sed -n '#1,#2p'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: return_user
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines of text based on a specific keyword

I regularly extract lines of text from files based on the presence of a particular keyword; I place the extracted lines into another text file. This takes about 2 hours to complete using the "sort" command then Kate's find & highlight facility. I've been reading the forum & googling and can find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DionDeVille
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix: extract a specific list of lines from a file

I would like to extract specific lines from a file and output them into another file. Each line in the file has a unique ID, and I have a specific list of IDs (that are not consecutive) that I wish to extract. for example: 1 aaaaaa bbbcb cccccc 2 aaaaaa bbbbb cccccd 3 aaaaaa bbbab... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mert2481
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific lines from a file

Hi, I have a file which contains DDL statements- CREATE TABLE, CREATE INDEX, ALTER TABLE etc. I have to only pick CREATE TABLE statements from the file- Source : ---------------------------------------------- --DDL for table abc -------------------------------------------- CREATE TABLE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newb
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract lines with specific words with addition 2 lines before and after

Dear all, Greetings. I would like to ask for your help to extract lines with specific words in addition 2 lines before and after these lines by using awk or sed. For example, the input file is: 1 ak1 abc1.0 1 ak2 abc1.0 1 ak3 abc1.0 1 ak4 abc1.0 1 ak5 abc1.1 1 ak6 abc1.1 1 ak7... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amanda Low
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines with unique value using a specific column

Hi there, I need a help with extracting data from tab delimited file which look like this #CHROM POS ID REF ALT Human Cow Dog Mouse Lizard chr2 3033 . G C 0/0 0/0 0/0 1/1 0/0 chr3 35040 . G T 0/0 0/0 ./. 1/1 0/1 chr4 60584 . T G 1/1 1/1 0/1 1/1 0/0 chr10 7147815 . G A 0/0 1/1 0/0 0/0... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: houkto
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh sed - Extract specific lines with mulitple occurance of interesting lines

Data file example I look for primary and * to isolate the interesting slot number. slot=`sed '/^primary$/,/\*/!d' filename | tail -1 | sed s'/*//' | awk '{print $1" "$2}'` Now I want to get the Touch line for only the associate slot number, in this case, because the asterisk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific lines based on another file

I have a folder containing text files. I need to extract specific lines from the files of this folder based on another file input.txt. How can I do this with awk/sed? file1 ARG 81.9 8 81.9 0 LEU 27.1 9 27.1 0 PHE .0 10 .0 0 ASP 59.8 11 59.8 0 ASN 27.6 12 27.6 0 ALA .0 13 .0 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanmathew84
5 Replies
FILTERDIFF(1)															     FILTERDIFF(1)

NAME
filterdiff - extract or exclude diffs from a diff file SYNOPSIS
filterdiff [-i PATTERN] [-p n] [--strip=n] [--addprefix=PREFIX] [-x PATTERN] [--verbose] [-v] [-z] [-# RANGE | --hunks=RANGE] [--lines=RANGE] [--annotate] [--format=FORMAT] [--as-numbered-lines=WHEN] [file...] filterdiff {--help | --version | --list | --grep ...} DESCRIPTION
You can use filterdiff to obtain a patch that applies to files matching the shell wildcard PATTERN from a larger collection of patches. For example, to see the patches in patch-2.4.3.gz that apply to all files called lp.c: filterdiff -z -i '*/lp.c' patch-2.4.3.gz If neither -i nor -x options are given, -i '*' is assumed. To remove lines from a file that are not part of a patch, you might do this: filterdiff message > patch Note that the interpretation of the shell wildcard pattern does not count slash characters or periods as special (in other words, no flags are given to fnmatch). This is so that ``*/basename''-type patterns can be given without limiting the number of pathname components. You can use both unified and context format diffs with this program. OPTIONS
-i PATTERN Include only files matching PATTERN. All other lines in the input are suppressed. -x PATTERN Exclude files matching PATTERN. All other lines in the input are displayed. -p n When matching, ignore the first n components of the pathname. -# RANGE | --hunks=RANGE Only include hunks within the specified RANGE. Hunks are numbered from 1, and the range is a comma-separated list of numbers or ``first-last'' spans; either the first or the last in the span may be omitted to indicate no limit in that direction. --lines=RANGE Only include hunks that contain lines from the original file that lie within the specified RANGE. Lines are numbered from 1, and the range is a comma-separated list of numbers or ``first-last'' spans; either the first or the last in the span may be omitted to indi- cate no limit in that direction. --annotate Annotate each hunk with the filename and hunk number. --format=unified|context Use specified output format. --strip=n Remove the first n components of pathnames in the output. --addprefix=PREFIX Prefix pathnames in the output by PREFIX. --as-numbered-lines=before|after Instead of a patch fragment, display the lines of the selected hunks with the line number of the file before (or after) the patch is applied, followed by a TAB character and a colon, at the beginning of each line. Each hunk except the first will have a line con- sisting of ``...'' before it. -v, --verbose Always show non-diff lines in the output. By default, non-diff lines are only shown when excluding a filename pattern. -z Decompress files with extensions .gz and .bz2. --help Display a short usage message. --version Display the version number of filterdiff. --list Behave like lsdiff(1) instead. --grep Behave like grepdiff(1) instead. EXAMPLES
To see all patch hunks that affect the first five lines of a C file: filterdiff -i '*.c' --lines=-5 < patch To see the first hunk of each file patch, use: filterdiff -#1 patchfile To see patches modifying a ChangeLog file in a subdirectory, use: filterdiff -p1 Changelog To see the complete patches for each patch that modifies line 1 of the original file, use: filterdiff --lines=1 patchfile | lsdiff | xargs -rn1 filterdiff patchfile -i To see all but the first hunk of a particular patch, you might use: filterdiff -p1 -i file.c -#2- foo-patch If you have a very specific list of hunks in a patch that you want to see, list them: filterdiff -#1,2,5-8,10,12,27- To see the lines of the files that would be patched as they will appear after the patch is applied, use: filterdiff --as-numbered-lines=after patch.file You can see the same context before the patch is applied with: filterdiff --as-numbered-lines=before patch.file Filterdiff can also be used to convert between unified and context format diffs: filterdiff -v --format=unified context.diff SEE ALSO
lsdiff(1), grepdiff(1) AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>. patchutils 23 Aug 2002 FILTERDIFF(1)