Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Any limitations to the "top" command? Post 24367 by lawadm1 on Wednesday 10th of July 2002 02:29:36 PM
Old 07-10-2002
AIX 4.3 type->PowerPC_RS64-III
4 - 450Mhz processors
12GB RAM

I guess an example might be when we are experiencing slow downs of our application, and we look at "top", it will tell us that we have 2GB of real memory free, yet there 3rd party reports that show we a paging A LOT. How can this be? We have 12GB total free memory.

Any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

Debian: doubt in "top" %CPU and "sar" output

Hi All, I am running my application on a dual cpu debian linux 3.0 (2.4.19 kernel). For my application: <sar -U ALL> CPU %user %nice %system %idle ... 10:58:04 0 153.10 0.00 38.76 0.00 10:58:04 1 3.88 0.00 4.26 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaduks
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

substr() limitations in "AWK" program..!!!

Is there any limitation for the function substr() Iam trying to assign some 11 digit number value to variable. And printing the variable. This is printing invalid values. cur_val=substr($0,36,11); printf "Current Value is: %d\n",cur_val I tried till 9 digits length, it was working fine. If... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokiman
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running command "top" in cron

hi all, i would like to collect stat. about the cpu usage every 30 mins so, I set up the cron job sth like 0,30 * * * * * /usr/bin/top -d 1 >> $STAT i know cron doesn't have a TERM output, so error occurs. any ideas or work around for this?? many thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

start top command in "solaris mode"

Ever noticed that using the top command on a multiple cpu box can often give totally misleading answers, like 230%, when you think that 100% should be the max? Well, that's because top has a bizarre mode called "Irix mode" wherein if you have 4 cpus, the %CPU column of top can go up to 400%. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fabulous2
1 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 5.3 - Discrepancies between "top" and "vmstat"

Can someone explain the differences I'm seeing below in TOP and VMSTAT commands on my AIX 5.3 server? Thanks! CPUs: 4; load averages: 0.86, 0.97, 0.97 18:09:26 926 processes: 4 stopped, 922 running CPU states: 78.4% idle, 8.5% user, 12.6% kernel, 0.3% wait Memory: 23680M Total.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: troym72
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve RAM memory size from "top" command output

Hi, I am trying to get the system RAM size from "top" command's output by the following but it is not working. top | sed "s/^Mem.**\(*\), *//" (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. HP-UX

Understanding "top" command

Hi all, I need a clarification about the top command in HP-UX. If I run: top -s300 I see the screen refresh every 5 minutes. From the "man top" I understand that the values displayed every 5 minutes are instantaneous, not average on the previous 5 minutes. Is this interpretation correct? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Evan
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to put "top" command in crontob?

Hi, how to put "top" command in crontab through script in suse linux. Below script is working fine, but it is not working when sheduled in crontab script scheduled in cron: health.sh --------- #! /bin/ksh top |head -5 >output.txt Thanks Suresh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies