Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking How to configure DHCP to Static IP Post 24363 by norsk hedensk on Wednesday 10th of July 2002 02:15:08 PM
Old 07-10-2002
if you are using a linksys router with dhcp, all you need to do is for the computer that you want to have a static ip, just set that computers ip to any value like this, 192.168.1.2 - 99

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

HP-UX 10.xx Changing from static IP to DHCP

***Newbie alert*** What's the easiest way to accomplish this? An admin left our company and I have taken over his HP Workstation and moved it to a different location that is on a different IP segment. I have performed a number of google searches but the steps I have followed haven't worked. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Steelysteel
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

dhcp and static ip conflicts.

I have a USB Wireless Adapter using the rum0 driver. All I want to do is set a perminent static IP for the onboard wired interface elxl0. I can plumb the wired interface up fine on the fly, but when I try to save the static IP over a reboot, I lose the IP address assigned to rum0 from my wireless... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ts97783
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

Switching from DHCP to Static IP

I am trying to write a set of scripts for my Ubuntu 810 Server to allow a user to change from DHCP to a user-supplied Static IP, Subnet, Gateway and DNS Servers. So far I have the following, where $USERCHOICE is a user-entered value in each case: ifconfig eth0 down && ifconfig eth0 $USERCHOICE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cleanden
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How to Configure a Static Ip Address

Hello friend, I am new in UNIX, but I want to learn a lot Well I have a problem to try to configure my PC with a static IP Address (IP 192.168.1.39, Mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1) (DNS 200.48.225.130 and 200.48.225.146). where are the file that I must be change? The SO is Sun Solaris... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresguillen
15 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to know whether my system is using DHCP or STATIC IP

Hi, I am using RHEL 5.1 and i would like to know, how to find the whether my system is using DHCP or STATIC IP with out looking at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifconfig-eth0 configuration file. Regards, Venkat (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat55
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to tell if i am using DHCP or Static

Hey guys , YEs this is probably silly for most but i am new to this forum and solaris . i am curious to know if the ip address we have for our solaris server is static or dhcp . how can i tell ? will ifconfig -a tell me this ? or other commands? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xdrivex
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Purpose of Static IP address through DHCP

Hi All, Could you please explain the purpose of assigning the static IP by using the DHCP Concept. Like by using the clients MAC address we assign the static IP Address. Waiting for your reply. Thanks in Advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharath Kumar
6 Replies

8. HP-UX

[Solved] Static or DHCP IP in HP-UX

Hi, I can find the IP details whether it is Static or dynamic in Linux machine from the location /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifconfig-eth0 configuration file. Can someone suggest a location to find the same in HP UX machines? -Vivek (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkk
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

Node switched itself from static to DHCP on reboot issue

I'm trying to figure out what circumstances would cause an Open Solaris 11.2 host to switch itself from a static to a DHCP ip address upon reboot. This has only happened once but is a cause for some concern as this machine will be part of a web server pool. Nothing has changed on the LAN that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmokeyJoe
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris static IP changed (non DHCP)

We have 2 solaris 10 t5240 servers with static IP addresses on nxge0 I/F which were rebooted a few days back with a known good config that has been in place for years (for /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname.nxge0, /etc/netmasks, etc) They are not using dhcp. About the same time today, both of their... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdatontodo
7 Replies
WPA_ACTION(8)															     WPA_ACTION(8)

NAME
wpa_action - wpa_cli action script SYNOPSIS
wpa_action IFACE ACTION DESCRIPTION
wpa_action is a shell script designed to control the ifupdown framework according to ACTION events received from wpa_supplicant. wpa_cli receives CONNECTED and DISCONNECTED events from wpa_supplicant via the crtl_iface socket and gives the ACTION event to the wpa_action script as an argument, along with the IFACE to be acted upon. wpa_action also receives an environment variable from wpa_cli, WPA_ID_STR, containing an alphanumeric identification string for the CURRENT network block. WPA_ID_STR is provided by the 'id_str' network block option of wpa_supplicant.conf, and provides a means to map the ACTION to a LOGICAL interface configured in the interfaces file. If either the ifupdown interfaces or ifstate file cannot be found, wpa_action will exit silently (status 0). wpa_action will search the following locations for their existance: /etc/network/run/ifstate /var/run/network/ifstate /etc/network/interfaces IFACE
Network interface to be acted upon, for example 'eth1' or 'wlan0'. ACTION
An ACTION to be performed on the IFACE. CONNECTED wpa_supplicant has completed authentication. ifup IFACE=WPA_ID_STR is invoked and the action is logged to syslog. Network settings for the LOGICAL interface WPA_ID_STR are applied. DISCONNECTED wpa_supplicant has detected disconnection. ifdown IFACE=WPA_ID_STR is invoked and the action is logged to syslog. Network settings for the LOGICAL interface WPA_ID_STR are undone. stop The 'stop' ACTION is a called manually by the user, to stop the wpa_cli daemon, invoke ifdown IFACE (if the IFACE is present in the ifstate file) and stop the wpa_supplicant daemon. reload The 'reload' ACTION can be used to reload the wpa_supplicant configuration file specified by wpa-roam . 'restart' is a synonym for 'reload' and can be used equally. The action is logged to /var/log/wpa_action.log. ENVIRONMENT
An alphanumeric identification string provided by the 'id_str' network block option of wpa_supplicant.conf is exported to wpa_action as an environment variable, WPA_ID_STR. When 'id_str' is not configured for the CURRENT network block, 'default' is substituted for the absent WPA_ID_STR environment variable. A unique network identifier, WPA_ID, is exported to wpa_action. It is the number assigned to the CURRENT wpa_supplicant network block (net- work_id). USAGE
The only reasons for wpa_action to be explicitly executed by the user is to stop wpa_cli from controlling ifupdown or reload the wpa_sup- plicant.conf file after editing. wpa_action eth1 stop Otherwise, wpa_action is given as an argument to a wpa_cli daemon. wpa_cli -i eth1 -a /sbin/wpa_action -B This can be done by using the wpa-roam option in the interfaces file. wpa-roam takes one argument, a user provided wpa_supplicant.conf file. The inet METHOD must be 'manual' for this interface, as it will be configured according to wpa_cli action events. Also supply a 'default' interfaces stanza using the dhcp inet METHOD so that networks without an 'id_str' option can fallback to attempting to receive an ip via dhcp. If one or more networks requires additional network configuration, provide an unique 'id_str' for each network, and an interfaces stanza using the 'id_str' value as a LOGICAL interface. The following interfaces file is configured to use dhcp for any network without an 'id_str', a static ip for the network with an 'id_str' of 'home_static' and dhcp plus an additional post-up command for the network with an 'id_str' of 'uni'. An example wpa_supplicant.conf configured to roam between 3 different networks: network={ ssid="foo" id_str="uni" key_mgmt=NONE } network={ ssid="bar" id_str="home_static" psk=123456789... } network={ ssid="" key_mgmt=NONE } The corresponding interfaces file would contain LOGICAL interfaces, that correlate to each unique 'id_str' provided by the configuration file: iface eth1 inet manual wpa-driver wext wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf iface default inet dhcp iface uni inet dhcp iface home_static inet static address 192.168.0.20 netmask 255.255.255.0 network 192.168.0.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 gateway 192.168.0.1 SEE ALSO
wpa_cli(8), wpa_supplicant(8), wpa_supplicant.conf(5), ifup(8), interfaces(5) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Kel Modderman <kel@otaku42.de> for the Debian GNU system (but may be used by others). 26 May 2006 WPA_ACTION(8)