Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need your help and opinion
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Need your help and opinion Post 24262 by Perderabo on Tuesday 9th of July 2002 08:34:08 AM
Old 07-09-2002
You're asking this question on a UNIX site you know. Smilie Still, I'll try to be honest.

The microsoft stuff is ok for small sites like yours but it will not scale up. If you are anticipating explosive growth so that you will soon need to make several terrabytes of data available to thousands of users then you have no choice...you must switch to unix. If this is not the case, then you do have a choice. It doesn't need to be either/or. Unix and microsoft can interact. You can afford to go slow.

Unix (including linux) is more powerful but less idiot-proof. You will need unix expertise to run unix. Does your organization have it? If you replace all of servers with stuff that your staff can't run, you will crash and burn.

I would suggest bringing up one unix development box and one unix test box. If things seem cool, then bring up one unix production box. Once you have the two OS's running side by side, use your own collective judgement about what should be your next move.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Your Opinion requested

Ladies/Gentlemen, I am looking for a web-based tool to keep track of my Sun inventory. The following list of fields are fields I would like to store: Root Passwd (needs to be secure) / Hostid / Console Port / IP Address / Platform / Application / Hostname . . . you get the point. Do any of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc9456
4 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Opinion

Hi, I am new at this site and at unix. I was reading some answers that the administrators and moderators have posted to others, and sometimes I feel like their a little sarcastic. I am asking just to be patient to me, I know nothing about unix but I do want to learn, and I think that positive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: HN19
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

second opinion on sed script

i'm trying to figure out a script that uses sed, and i'm not totally sure if it does what I think it does. The script... - takes in 3 inputs, $1, $2 are names. $3 is a file. - filename is a file. Here is what I'm trying to figure out: cat $3 | grep "id17" > var2 sed "s|@@.*||g" var2 >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gammaman
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opinion on modification for SMARTMON

Hello, I get the following in one of my error logs: Device /dev/sda, SATA disks accessed via libata are not currently supported by smartmontools. When libata is given an ATA pass-thru ioctl() then an additional '-d libata' device type will be added to smartmontools. --------------- I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
0 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Opinion on modification for SMARTMON

Hello, I get the following in one of my error logs: Device /dev/sda, SATA disks accessed via libata are not currently supported by smartmontools. When libata is given an ATA pass-thru ioctl() then an additional '-d libata' device type will be added to smartmontools. --------------- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Expert Opinion

This perhaps does not belong in ths category; apologies, however, we have a heated debate going and your input will decide the result. Should UNIX (HP, AIX, etc) be rebooted following a monthly cycle (Every month, or a qtr, etc.). We have some UX admins (grumps) who say they have seen a UX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Expert opinion on iptables/torrents

Hello all, I want to deny any torrents passing thru linux box that are NOT encrypted. My ISP is doing packet inspection and gives warnings. I'd like to allow torrents when client sets encryption. Any thoughts? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkman_hr
5 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Something in my mind - what's your opinion ?

Dear Forum staff / Advisors / members , I am having something in my mind, about Linux / Unix possible Interview questions collections, I guess if I post them here,which might be useful for our members and for students, and in meantime we can discuss also about those questions, what's your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opinion on an easy shell script (mv)

:wall:I've this simple code: STF=/opt/aaa cat $STF | nice sort -u > $STF.new && mv $STF.new $STF Which works until today. What happened is that this script has been corrupted the FS, so I've to use fschk to repair the filesystem. I presume the move command executed just a little too early... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: accolito
1 Replies

10. AIX

[Opinion] A Public Answer To Rob McNelly

Why Do We Need Root on the HMC? In this article in IBMSystems Magazine Rob McNelly asked the question Why Don't We Have Root on the HMC? and he goes on to justify why we indeed shouldn't have root - kinda. I think his arguments are not as valid as he perhaps thinks they are and what's more... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
11 Replies
term::ansi::ctrl::unix(n)					 Terminal control					 term::ansi::ctrl::unix(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
term::ansi::ctrl::unix - Control operations and queries SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require term::ansi::ctrl::unix ?0.1? ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::import ?ns? ?arg...? ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::columns ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::rows _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
WARNING: This package is unix-specific and depends on the availability of two unix system commands for terminal control, i.e. stty and tput, both of which have to be found in the $PATH. If any of these two commands is missing the loading of the package will fail. The package provides commands to switch the standard input of the current process between raw and cooked input modes, and to query the size of terminals, i.e. the available number of columns and lines. API
INTROSPECTION ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::import ?ns? ?arg...? This command imports some or all attribute commands into the namespace ns. This is by default the namespace ctrl. Note that this is relative namespace name, placing the imported command into a child of the current namespace. By default all commands are imported, this can howver be restricted by listing the names of the wanted commands after the namespace argument. OPERATIONS ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw This command switches the standard input of the current process to raw input mode. This means that from then on all characters typed by the user are immediately reported to the application instead of waiting in the OS buffer until the Enter/Return key is received. ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw This command switches the standard input of the current process to cooked input mode. This means that from then on all characters typed by the user are kept in OS buffers for editing until the Enter/Return key is received. ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::columns This command queries the terminal connected to the standard input for the number of columns available for display. ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::rows This command queries the terminal connected to the standard input for the number of rows (aka lines) available for display. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category term of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
ansi, columns, control, cooked, input mode, lines, raw, rows, terminal CATEGORY
Terminal control COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> term 0.1 term::ansi::ctrl::unix(n)